New guy from California

Welcome to AH Steven! Nice to have you on the posting side.

:S Welcome:

Hello and welcome!

Welcome aboard Steven. Please tell us a little more about yourself as it relates to hunting. things like what have you hunted in the past, what kind and caliber rifles do you own, do you reload. Do you have any particular species in mind for your first African hunt?

Welcome to AH!

Giday and welcome to the A H forums Steven

Welcome to AH!

Steven, welcome to AH! Looking forward to your input!

Welcome to the other side and the beginning of your African Hunting addiction

Hi Steven, welcome to AH !

Welcome to AH, Steven!

Thank you guys for all of the kindness. To answer some of your questions. I live in Northern California and am 39 years old.Some of you might not believe it but it’s agriculture based and very pro hunting around here. The big game hunting is over crowded and very poorly managed. Waterfowl hunting is excellent as well as the fishing. I’ve hunted all over the western US for deer, antelope, and elk. I can’t get drawn for a sheep tag. I’m mostly interested in a Cape Buffalo. I’m sure when I go I will have to hunt some plains game as well but nothing really stands out. I just really love the history of African hunting. I was the kid in grade school doing book reports on Capstick, Hemingway, Ruark and J.A Hunter. I have been to Africa for work although it was Algeria in the north and you can have that place. I have a lot rifles from the 17 HMR up to .375 H&H. I’m a certified gun nut. I’m really wanting a .416 of some sort for some reason. I’ve been to the SCI show in Reno and was just in awe. From the H&H booth to the life size elephant I don’t think I even spoke a word the entire day. Thanks again and I look forward to running into some of you at SCI in a few months.

Thank you guys for all of the kindness. To answer some of your questions. I live in Northern California and am 39 years old.Some of you might not believe it but it’s agriculture based and very pro hunting around here. The big game hunting is over crowded and very poorly managed. Waterfowl hunting is excellent as well as the fishing. I’ve hunted all over the western US for deer, antelope, and elk. I can’t get drawn for a sheep tag. I’m mostly interested in a Cape Buffalo. I’m sure when I go I will have to hunt some plains game as well but nothing really stands out. I just really love the history of African hunting. I was the kid in grade school doing book reports on Capstick, Hemingway, Ruark and J.A Hunter. I have been to Africa for work although it was Algeria in the north and you can have that place. I have a lot rifles from the 17 HMR up to .375 H&H. I’m a certified gun nut. I’m really wanting a .416 of some sort for some reason. I’ve been to the SCI show in Reno and was just in awe. From the H&H booth to the life size elephant I don’t think I even spoke a word the entire day. Thanks again and I look forward to running into some of you at SCI in a few months.

Hello Steven C,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the best forum in the world.

Coincidentally, I too once lived in Northern California where I was a Deputy Sheriff, with Colusa County.
About 37 years ago, I landed a job in Anchorage that I have now retired from.
Even though retired I continue to live in Alaska now.

Anyway, I agree with you that N. California is indeed hunter friendly (aka: conservative, not afraid of hard work, etc).
Most of it, generally north of San Francisco and Sacramento, reminds me culturally of “free states” like Wyoming and Idaho.
And indeed, the winter waterfowl concentrations of the Upper Sacramento valley, have to be seen to be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Paul.

Last edited:
Welcome to the posting side.

Hello Velo Dog,

I have read that you had lived in Nor Cal in a post somewhere. It’s such a small world. I actually live in Sutter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg