New guy from Arkansas

Welcome to the posting side.

Thanks guys. I mostly hunt whitetail and have always thought that my first destination hunt would be Africa, but I just got back from a vacation in Colorado and saw my first elk. This may have changed things.

Welcome to our forum. I'm retired from Arkansas, been in Florida for 8 years now. Will probably move back due to the grand kids now. If you like to hunt, you will love it here. Lots to learn about Africa and other worldly places!

Welcome! Arkansas is a beautiful place and yes elk do have that kind of effect on people. Go elk hunting, but you must plan at least one trip to Africa and then you will be hooked.

Welcome to AH Whetstone!
Glad you joined in.

Elk are pretty awesome (16 with rifle, 1 with archery)! But you only get to pull the trigger maybe once on an elk hunt each year, if that. Africa safari multiple trigger time (depending on your pocket book;)).
As 375 Ruger Fan said, do come elk hunting, but get to Africa soon. You won't regret it.
Oh and welcome to AH!

Welcome aboard!

Glad to have you buddy.

Welcome to AH Whetstone. Elk hunting had been a dream of mine since 1975. The cost of said hunt was always the issue. By chance we (my sons and I) ran into a guy that stated "the cost of an Elk hunt and hunting in Africa was about the same." We laughed it off then did a little research. Guess what, he was right. Kudu weigh +/- 700 lbs. and make an impressive trophy but we had another 5 animals to boot. Do some research on the subject and soon you will be on your way to Africa.

Welcome to AH sir! I hunt deer down near Monticello AR!

Thanks guys. I mostly hunt whitetail and have always thought that my first destination hunt would be Africa, but I just got back from a vacation in Colorado and saw my first elk. This may have changed things.

As mentioned by others once you really start looking at pricing you may well want to try Africa.

Welcome to AH !

Welcome to AH Whetstone!

Welcome to AH Whetstone. Elk hunting had been a dream of mine since 1975. The cost of said hunt was always the issue. By chance we (my sons and I) ran into a guy that stated "the cost of an Elk hunt and hunting in Africa was about the same." We laughed it off then did a little research. Guess what, he was right. Kudu weigh +/- 700 lbs. and make an impressive trophy but we had another 5 animals to boot. Do some research on the subject and soon you will be on your way to Africa.
I did some looking today. Looks like elk might be possible for around 1k. Probably not in a good area, but I would be happy just making the trip. How much does Africa actually cost? Without cats, buffalo, or the other really expensive animals?

I was looking at a 10 day guided Elk hunt in the Bob Marshall Wilderness with a reputable outfitter. The cost of the hunt is more like $8,500 + transportation. My PG hunt for 6 animals & 10 days of hunting was $5,650 + transportation ($2,600.) There is a VAT on the Day Fees of 14%, I'm not sure if there is a sales tax on the Elk hunt. Like I said the costs were a wash. You are almost guaranteed to take all of the animals in your African package. Whereas the success rate on Elk is considerably less, I doubt that it is as high as 20%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg