Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
I have read that you must have your ammo in a locked storage box. They are confiscating ammo that isn't locked! Manufacturer boxes and hard plastic boxes are no longer good enough. Is this true? I'm going to Africa next month...and need to know immediately!

Is there a light weight way to store and lock ammo for travel?

Thanks for the replies. The regulations are getting crazier everyday!

enysse, I used a hinged metal ammo can when I went last year. I suppose the plastic ammo/ storage cans would work just as well if they were lockable. I found a small, lockable device at a military surplus store to secure it, then cut out foam padding to fill in the gaps. It worked fine & made it to Namibia without a hitch ... the same could not be said for my rifle case - which never made it. Several airlines require ammo to be transported that way now.

enysse, indeed the regulations are getting crazier every day.

You are required to carry your ammunition separate from your rifle in your checked luggage in one or more separate lockable containers.

To learn more about rules and regulations concerning carrying and transporting ammunition, here are a couple of AH articles that you can read:

- What You Need to Know About Packing
- Laws & Regulations for Hunters Traveling with Firearms and Ammunition or Bows and Arrows

Traveling to Africa usually requires taking at least a couple of different airlines as well as departing from several countries. All having their own rules, regulations and laws for which it is your responsibility to be aware and in compliance with all of them.

Here are a few links to places where you can find lockable ammunition boxes online:

- AmmoLock
- IMS Plus
- Cabelas

Attachments

• ammunition-box.jpg
    ammunition-box.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 176
  • box-ammunition.jpg
    box-ammunition.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 145
  • ammunitionbox.jpg
    ammunitionbox.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 185
Thanks Jerome! This was the information I was searching for, when I posted this information question. Unfortunately, a lot of people are unaware of this regulation, this kind of problem can ruin a wonderful safari.

I think you are doing a great job Jerome! I wish I would have had this kind of information available years ago!

After looking at all the options....I have decided to buy the Ammolock. It's a solid product and I know it will last me a lifetime. Plus, I can lend it out to my friends and not worry about it wearing out. Thanks, for the help!

That's the one I have, or a clone thereof. Since you're pressed for time, if you can't locate one let me know & I'll send mine up straightaway as a loaner......

Thanks Speedbump! That is very nice of you!!!! I ordered one from AmmoLock first thing, this morning and should get in one week. I thought of Driving to military surplus store and getting a metal can and fixing a latch on it. But my time is short and we are getting more snow today...and I said...what the hay...let's order a new one. I have a plastic ammo can...that you can put a lock on...but's its big and the plastic would be cut quick. Ammo is so important to a hunt!!! I only trust my supply. Trophy fees on wounded animals would make me very sick.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
just beginning to work up to a hunt.checked T S A ammo packed with guns , OK. delta airlines ammo packed with guns ,OK. now i read it's not OK in S A. I don't know but i'm thinking I'm to old for all of this:confused:

Robert:

I was in SA in May. Here's what I learned about transporting ammo:

Going over, you are regulated by US law AND your particular airlines requirements. Packing ammo in a LOCKED, METAL container and having less than 11 lbs total weight and less than 100 rounds per caliber will keep you within the law. The ammo container can be placed inside of your luggage, but cannot be packed with your rifle. You MUST "declare" that you have ammo packed in your bag. Only take ammo in calibers for the rifles you carry. Make sure the number of cartridges match the amount you stated on the SAPS520 form.

Coming back, you are regulated by S. African law and the airline rules. (I assume you are on SAA.) Requirements are the same for weight limits, but you must check the ammo container as a SEPARATE bag, so make sure your name and address are on it. Once again, you must declare the ammo at check in.

You didn't ask about rifles, but I suggest using a paperwork expediter like Air2000 - also don't forget your CPB Form 4457's!

- browningbbr

browningbbr thank you sir , was just reading R S A gun control act ,i have a full head of hair may be bald soon. the impression that I got was four guns (4) and two hundred rounds per gun. in my reserch this information is all over the place. delta arilnes says four T S A dosen't care , customs no problemo. I;m quite sure you are on the money under is always better.

I went to South Africa last month. I did use Air2000 to pre-apply for my permit and glad I did.

Here's my experience with ammo. I flew Delta from Kansas City-Atlanta to J-burg. I used the Cabela's plastic ammo case and packed it in my suitcase. Both coming and going to RSA is 11lbs or 5.5kg max of ammo. No problems with putting my ammo in the suitcase.

Leaving RSA. Delta will now take your guns at check-in, check that they are unloaded, sign some paperwork, and Delta will take the gun to the plane. No stopping at the firearms check in area.

I transported my ammo back in my suitcase. I asked the check-in attendant and was told I needed to lock the suitcase. I had some extra TSA luggage locks on hand, stuck one on my suitcase and good to go.

I never once had to open my suitcase for ammo inspection. That included coming and going and also at the South African Police Station.

Heeler

We found out personally and from other hunters that the airlines, TSA and the SA Police are hit-and-miss on checking ammo and firearms for compliance with regulations. (At Chicago, no one asked or checked if the firearms were unloaded! In New York, I had to remove the bolts so an officer could look in the bore.)

Our ammo did get checked out as we left RSA. I think you have to assume that it will, but you never know...

- browningbbr

I think it's safe to say, you have to read the regulations before you head to South Africa carefully. Delta and South African Airlines have different rules. The one thing I would recommend is bringing a locked ammo container, that can be fit in a suitcase or used separately as a checked luggage bag.

I agree Robert, the regulations are a pain and it is the price you pay for hunting Africa. But I definitely would go!

And Browningbbr is right the policies are inconsistently enforced. One day it's one thing...tomorrow another.

I will say this, the Tambo International airport is getting a lot more uniform and more consistent....since they redid the place for the World Cup. There use to be a lot of different things going on behind the airport desks.

I have not had any problems...but I'm always polite and say everything with a smile. And I think if anyone makes a effort to be nice...most problems in travel are worked out.

..Tambo is very inconsistent the first time I went, i was one of two hunters & I got the ninth degree even with the paper work filled out properly. The 2nd time I walked in he looked at it & the guns & bing bang I was done.

.. The first time when heading home they made me send the ammo back seperately - 2003. They duck taped the container & sent it. The 2nd time it was ok to put it in the luggage. You have to be prepared for anything, be nice & keep your mouth shut even if they irritate you! I know - more delay!

When we went through Tambo in May/June, we had no problems with our ammo in either direction. I put my ammunition in a locked hard case that I bought from Sportsman's Warehouse, it was an aluminum case that would be suitable for a camera, and it held 3 boxes of ammo with room to spare. I then put that inside my duffle bag, and nobody questioned anything.

Of course, my rifles took a bit of finding, as they didn't come to the police station right away going over, and were mis-routed on the way back, but we found them at another security counter without too much trouble.

locks on ammo

All guns and ammo must be hard sided and locked..that is the rule across the board. TSA regs in the US do allow (not require) for ammo to be locked in the same case as the guns (not in the gun!) (but you may get some airline and TSA agents that don't know the rule changed in 2002). So it may just be easier to get a separate hard lock case for your ammo.

You will find that some of the airline restrictions say that the locks on guns and ammo cannot be TSA locks! But if you don't use TSA locks, then TSA will cut off your locks to inspect your bags when you are not there (on transfers).

I got tired of losing a lock ever time (I have now had 6 locks cut - even have had 2 TSA locks cut off or taken).

So now I just use the TSA locks and so far I have not had any airline give me a problem with those locks (even though their regs may say not to use the TSA locks)...

But just throwing a couple boxes of ammo into your duffel bag wont work anymore!!!! Did that last year coming out of SA and my bag arrived without the ammo!! They will take it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg