Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Armstrong Fish and Game Club
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
I have to say the lack of restrictions in the US re: gun ownership, is looking very appealing
Check this out:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gun-control-bill-march-2018-1.4581821

New federal gun control bill expected this week

Note: This story has been corrected. Please see correction notice below.

The federal government is expected to introduce new legislation this week that would strengthen laws surrounding the selling of firearms in an effort to crack down on gun violence.

Changes could include expanded background checks of someone trying to purchase a non-restricted firearm.

The bill could also beef up screening of people who already own guns, allowing a continuous eligibility evaluation that would flag criminal behaviour as grounds for a potential investigation into their firearm ownership.

Currently, firearm vendors are not required under the Firearms Act to keep files of gun inventory and sales.

Anyone with a firearms licence legally can buy non-restricted firearms, and an individual could buy dozens of guns, and the stores that sold the firearms wouldn't be legally required to keep a record of the purchases.

The government used to require the sales records from the vendors, along with a proof of licence. But those conditions were scrapped by the Harper government in 2012, at the same time the long-gun registry was abandoned.

New funding, new concerns
Revising firearms laws was an election promise from the Liberals, but little public action was taken until recently.

In November, the government announced $327 million over five years, and $100 million every year after, for initiatives to reduce gun and gang-related crime.

It also convened a summit with community partners on guns and gangs at the beginning of the month.

According to their mandate tracker, the Liberals will not recreate a federal long-gun registry.

The proposed bill comes at a time when there are countrywide concerns about homicide trends and gun violence in rural areas.

There were 223 firearm-related homicides in Canada in 2016 — up 44 from 2015.

Statistics from the government also show that 2,223 firearms licences were revoked in 2016, with mental health concerns factoring in 424 of those cases.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
"There were 223 firearm-related homicides in Canada in 2016 — up 44 from 2015."

Must have been Trump's fault......or the NRA.:rolleyes:

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
So with the current laws they successfully revoked 2,223 licenses for mental health issues and they need stronger laws because...o_O.

Only 424 related to mental illness.

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
Only 424 related to mental illness.

Yer Right! I misread that. But, my point being that there seems to be a very effective way to revoke licenses. Any evidence stronger laws are needed to achieve that?

Dragan N.

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
A few months back there was a flurry of articles about mentally ill people in Canada killing themselves or committing crime with legally acquired firearms. I imagine this thing is the end product... Also another thing unless someone has pretty serious mental issues it is rather difficult to diagnose someone as mentally ill short of really extensive psychiatric evaluations. So what now people who want to get a firearms license will have to undergo a long psych evaluation ??

I am still at a loss as to why these people obessess so much over gun homicide rather than focusing on the homicide rate as a whole. Guns are only one weapon that can be used to kill someone they certainly aren't the only one...

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Yer Right! I misread that. But, my point being that there seems to be a very effective way to revoke licenses. Any evidence stronger laws are needed to achieve that?
Evidence. What does evidence have to do with it.
I assume that it will be whatever paranoid populist reaction will get another vote.
Connecting the firearms license with ongoing criminal screening? Don’t think the crooks care about getting firearms licences though.

Selective use of stats. What are the actual trends.

The worst mass killing out here was done with a knife not a gun. Mental health was the issue.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted

I am still at a loss as to why these people obessess so much over gun homicide rather than focusing on the homicide rate as a whole. .......
It is easy to whip up fear.
Just like a sin tax. A nice easy target that a minority own and use.

Divernhunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
Hunted
USA, RSA
They should have a sin tax on libtards. I think every cent they make would be just about right :)

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Evidence. What does evidence have to do with it.
I assume that it will be whatever paranoid populist reaction will get another vote.
Connecting the firearms license with ongoing criminal screening? Don’t think the crooks care about getting firearms licences though.

Selective use of stats. What are the actual trends.

The worst mass killing out here was done with a knife not a gun. Mental health was the issue.

One of our mass murders was carried out by using a hammer. Another was using a car.
No bleating requiring tough new hammer laws.

Opposite Pole

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
Don’t forget the nurse Roger Dean who used matches to burn a nursing home full of people. That too was a mass murder.

John Crichton - Head of Royal College of Psychatrists in UK wants the government to ban sharp tipped knives as they are frequently used as a murder weapon. Perhaps he should be a patient?

Opposite Pole

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
6e1fe8b4f947bf935dda59deade21e4a1378047e37bb427033724f8ee0d979b8.jpg

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
John Crichton - Head of Royal College of Psychatrists in UK wants the government to ban sharp tipped knives as they are frequently used as a murder weapon. ..........

Makes all kinds of sense to someone.

Then we need to make the world even safer by banning: Ropes, Stoves, Balconies, Bridges, Electrical Cords, pointy sticks, ....

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Don’t forget the nurse Roger Dean who used matches to burn a nursing home full of people. That too was a mass murder.

John Crichton - Head of Royal College of Psychatrists in UK wants the government to ban sharp tipped knives as they are frequently used as a murder weapon. Perhaps he should be a patient?

And following Opposite Pole’s comment about mass murders, we in Australia have had a few lately. Hammers and cars for a start but no one (repeat)no one wanted tough new hammer laws etc.
Media love tragedy and milk it to death. Then we get the bleeding heart, left wing, do-gooders on our tv who are experts on everything and wouldn’t even know difference between a Bullets and a cartridge or what a high powered cartridge was.
They do not even comprehend the difference between a semi-automatic and an automatic rifle.
They just rave on about tough gun laws cos in their minds laws will be obeyed by the criminals.m
I cannot stand those shows but am forced to watch (whilst showing signs of nausea) cos the mrs watches those shows.
Time to bring in Fierce Jess and Flight “Lootenant” Jasmine!

IMG_1938.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kurtis9554

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J