just added a Aimpoint hunter dot sight
can't wait fir the snow to melt to try it out

9XaWxQzh.jpg

Attachments

• 9XaWxQzh.jpg
    9XaWxQzh.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 340
Last edited by a moderator:
I was just talking about the brown bear earlier chambered in 500 Jeffery and how I wouldn't even consider fire it without changing the recoil pad first. Looks like you still have the original recoil pad on yours? What do you think of it? And what's your rifle weighing in at now with the big red dot on it?

I didnt know they still make red dot sights that are about the size of a conventional scope.

Aimpoint say: "suits any hunter who desires the classic lines of a full length sight." Weight for model H34L (incl battery) is listed as 263 g (9.3 oz).

I think the longer tube scopes help for those of us with less flexible mounting systems.

I am loving red dots at the moment though.

Scrummy

total rifle weight with the Aimpoint is 10.4
the recoil pad is the original and it seems to be glued on the stock as there is no holes for screws
yes it is medium hard
pro .... the recoil pad does not deform when resting the rifle on the but for a long time
cons..... yes it harder for recoil
but I am a cast bullet shooter and I drive my 545 gr cast at 1900 fps and its not that bad
the rifle is used for moose hunting.
OpzTqlWh.jpg
the one on the left is 545 middle 465 right is 350 gr. cast bullets

Attachments

• OpzTqlWh.jpg
    OpzTqlWh.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 113
I understand that the longer red dot sights do not have issues with multiple red dots showing when point light sources are at a shallow angle to the scope tube. This is reportedly an occasional issue experienced by military and swat teams when using very short red dot optics, most commonly where torches are in use. I suspect that it might also be an issue with low winter sun, etc.

I had never heard of this issue until an online reviewer, possibly with TFB, mentioned the issue several years back and reported the explanation from an Aimpoint representative.

the Aimpoint dot sight has no parallax
no Mather where is the dot in the sight when you shoot it hits where the dot is
tried it and it works. high low to the right or left in the tube the point of impact stay the same....
I thinks its the only dot sight that offer this, not certain on that....

Last edited:
Cunuck4570, if you don't mind my saying so, that set -up looks like quite a potent package. What ranges will you normally be shooting at?

the rifle is sighted in at 170 yards
it shoot 4 inches high at 100 and 4 inches low at 200
at 250 yards I am 14 inches low
after that its up to 30 inches low
so up to 200 on a moose I shoot dead on
after that the moose does not know you are there most of the time so I use my range finder and makes hold over
I do woodchuck hunting in the summer to get used to long shots
but here in Quebec moose are seldom shot more that 200 yards
so using cast bullet I am able to practice and be confident with my rifle

Canuck4570, it sounds like you got this "thing" all figured out. Next fall you are going to have to tell us how everything worked out.

hope so
where we hunt at a outfitter where are 6 hunter
and if I am the lucky one I will post photo
its way up north in Quebec and in the pas 22 years we came back only 2 time without a moose
the biggest was a 57 inches
here is a photo of a 31 inches and some of the group I am taking the phote
sorry I don't have a photo of the big one because last year my computer crash and I lost my photos so now I make certain I have a back up
8KI7pKMh.jpg

Attachments

• 8KI7pKMh.jpg
    8KI7pKMh.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 121
Sako Brown bear in 450 Rigby
just added a Aimpoint hunter dot sight
can't wait fir the snow to melt to try it out

9XaWxQzh.jpg

great looking rifle.

the Aimpoint dot sight has no parallax
no Mather where is the dot in the sight when you shoot it hits where the dot is
tried it and it works. high low to the right or left in the tube the point of impact stay the same....
I thinks its the only dot sight that offer this, not certain on that....
The EO Tech Holographic sights offer no parallax as well.
Although not nearly as pretty as your Aimpoint.
Did you get the 30mm or 34mm tube?

How does your rifle eject with the Aimpoint in place? Do the ejected rounds hit the windage turret?
Yeah, you know the fix for that one.
I'll leave the "UP is now LEFT" and "RIGHT is now UP" to you.

I understand that the longer red dot sights do not have issues with multiple red dots showing when point light sources are at a shallow angle to the scope tube. This is reportedly an occasional issue experienced by military and swat teams when using very short red dot optics, most commonly where torches are in use. I suspect that it might also be an issue with low winter sun, etc.

I had never heard of this issue until an online reviewer, possibly with TFB, mentioned the issue several years back and reported the explanation from an Aimpoint representative.
Theres a recent thread on my local "action shooters" forum where people note that the use of prescription glasses is causing weird effects with red dot sights. The dot is a galaxy or supernova, or whatever. I understood that the use of reading glasses is the worst. People didnt specify if they were using the dots on pistols or "long guns".

@perttime I have started using reading glasses (instead of a magnifying glass) for very close work, because my eyes are now pretty much the same (confirmed by the man with all the fancy testing gear). I cannot understand why you would wear reading glasses when shooting with a red dot, unless it was a rifle with receiver mounted sight.
Even then, we are talking relatively short ranges so why wear glasses and I have to wonder what level of quality we are talking about. The cheapest red dots are only good for air soft and the next level up are still quite junky and fragile. Our local gun shop sells the cheap red dots to people on a budget but they make sure that the customer knows what they are getting (and not getting) for their money.
It will be interesting to see what you can determine about the circumstances of these claims.

Just a little caution on red dots or reflex sights being parallax free. They are not. Though parallax is better understood and compensated for it exists even in dot sights. Check weld and getting your eye in exactly the same place as we all know is key. If you notice on the newer Burris Fastfire they now have a little white line on the sight body to help alignment. Here is an older article which explains the issue and some results of their tests. https://www.breachbangclear.com/parallax-free-isnt/

@perttime I have started using reading glasses (instead of a magnifying glass) for very close work, because my eyes are now pretty much the same (confirmed by the man with all the fancy testing gear). I cannot understand why you would wear reading glasses when shooting with a red dot, unless it was a rifle with receiver mounted sight.
Even then, we are talking relatively short ranges so why wear glasses and I have to wonder what level of quality we are talking about. The cheapest red dots are only good for air soft and the next level up are still quite junky and fragile. Our local gun shop sells the cheap red dots to people on a budget but they make sure that the customer knows what they are getting (and not getting) for their money.
It will be interesting to see what you can determine about the circumstances of these claims.
A couple of guys in the discussion mentioned Aimpoint.
It has been years since I went outside my home without glasses. I'm not sure I'd detect an elephant at 50 meters without prescription glasses.

A couple of guys in the discussion mentioned Aimpoint.
It has been years since I went outside my home without glasses. I'm not sure I'd detect an elephant at 50 meters without prescription glasses.
@perttime Fair enough. I have always had a slight tendency to far sight in my right eye which is why I changed to a camera with dioptric correction in my mid to late twenties but it only became a problem for reading in the last couple of years, mostly after a hard day on the tools.
If you are short sighted it obviously makes sense to wear glasses outdoors BUT you specifically mentioned reading glasses and I restricted my comments to use of reading glasses.
If you really desire a proper answer on this issue, I suggest that you pose the question to Aimpoint USA or whatever they call themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisabeth1

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross