New Compound Bow needed- any recommendations?

I was just looking at a review of 12 compound bows on the Outdoor life website.

The editors choice was the Hoyt Nitrium 30. It is a $1000 bow.

Yes - that was from last year. They have not released their review on the new bows for this year yet

My old but reliable and accurate shooting 2007 diamond black ice has a cracked limb. I noticed it developed a buzz and it needed a string due to the many shots over the past year. Took it in to the pro shop and the found the top limb was cracked. Glad this didn't happen a few weeks from now as Africa is only 35 days out. I have another bow but that is being set up with a heavy arrow for Giraffe. I think I'll retire the diamond although it has done well for me in both Pennsylvania and in South Africa!

I need a main bow that I will use for regular plains game this year, whitetails and some targets and fun 3D shoots. I'm going to start shooting new ones tomorrow and will decide within a week as I want a month to get comfortable. I promised myself that I would shoot 4-6 bows and pick the one that fits me best. Forget about the brand name and marketing. I'll be trying the new Elites, Hoyt, Bowtech, Prime, Mathews and whatever else they have at the local pro shop. Most of my bow friends are brand loyal, but I'm coming in with a clean slate. Looking for a good balance of performance and shootability. Doesn't have to be a flamethrower but I don't want a dog either. I plan on keeping for a decade, so I want to choose wisely.

Let me know what you shoot/like.
Hey Lee,

I went through this same exercise last July as I was retiring my 12 year old Martin. I previously shot a Bear before that. I went in thinking there was no way I could draw a 70lb draw weight bow, as my Martin was only 60, but a friend convinced me to try the newer ones.

In the end, I chose a PSE Decree, not because it was a fast bow, but because it was an easy, smooth draw cycle at 70lbs with the quickest time for arrow off the string. I soon discovered that bows with long valleys meant more time for error if a person moved their front hand/arm. The arrow just wouldn't get off the string fast enough.

Here are the brands I tested:
Hoyt
Matthews
Elite
PSE
Martin
Bear

I also tested the new Matthews Halon 6 this year as my friend just purchased his. Compared to my PSE, it has a harder draw cycle because of the hump in rollover on the cams. Once you're over the hump, it shoots great. The grip is a little thicker than I'd like, but reminiscent of my old Martin. My PSE has an extremely thin grip.

With this said, you'll need to shoot them all to decide what fits you best. I was a die hard Martin fan forever and never expected to purchase a PSE, but after shooting all those bows, it just felt the best for me.

Good luck!

Thanks. I'll definitely try the PSE's as well. I know they market the "fastest off the string" message. Most reviews/tests in the last few years strongly agree that PSE's excel at accuracy, but I'm not sure if its due to the lack of a valley or if that is just PSE's response to others trying to criticize this area. The good accuracy could be due to a host of other synergies in their product. My friend loves his PSE.

Thanks. I'll definitely try the PSE's as well. I know they market the "fastest off the string" message. Most reviews/tests in the last few years strongly agree that PSE's excel at accuracy, but I'm not sure if its due to the lack of a valley or if that is just PSE's response to others trying to criticize this area. The good accuracy could be due to a host of other synergies in their product. My friend loves his PSE.
Lee,

Could be, but I definitely notice the difference. You do have to get used to not having as much/any valley, which means you can't get lazy with your hold. I noticed with my PSE that I have to maintain good form otherwise it wants to "take off" on me. With other bows I've shot, a person can get a little lazy and not maintain a tight squeeze in the back, which causes accuracy to suffer. Either way, every person shoots differently, which is why there are so many choices. One of the reasons I love archery. So many toys to choose from!

Bowtech Insanity CPXL is the best bow I have ever owned. I doubt that I will ever buy another bow.

If you have a dealer around you, go test shoot an Obsession bow. I've shot about every brand made and Obsession is what I am currently shooting. Great bows.

I will do that. They are not carried at the two pro shops I go to, but I will find one and shoot it. They have done well in the recent outdoor magazine tests. I believe the person who started the company was one of the founders of Bowtech or one of the other well known bow makers.

Tried out a new Hoyt in March. If I wasn't happy with my 6 year old Turbohawk, I'd have to have it. It would throw much higher speed at the same poundage, or the same speed at much reduced draw weight. But they're not cheap to be certain.
was it the Carbon Turbo Defiant?

I will do that. They are not carried at the two pro shops I go to, but I will find one and shoot it. They have done well in the recent outdoor magazine tests. I believe the person who started the company was one of the founders of Bowtech or one of the other well known bow makers.

Well they are 100% American made and have great customer service. When you add the fact that the product is very well engineered I don't think you can beat them. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EulaBowen

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!