New CBP form 4457 expiring 2020 - Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad

Just went to the CBP office in Long Beach, CA to get my 4457s done. They require TWO forms of ID. I had a passport card and a CA driver's license. Because the DL was not a "Real ID" version it got rejected (officer actually called it "fake ID" version). I drove 120 miles round trip to bring my birth certificate as alternate form of ID.

After that it took almost no time to sign and stamp the forms and inspect the firearms.

If anyone going to CBP again make sure the two forms of ID are recognized by the Feds.

Has anyone flown on Qatar recently where they required a TYPED version of the form 4457? Looking back on this thread it seems to have been an issue. I'm heading to Namibia (IAH - DOHA - JNB - WDH) in mid July. Went to get this signed at my closest CBP office and they screwed up my only typed copy with me and they reprinted a new but it is now handwritten.

Qatar has a copy of the handwritten 4457 as I emailed it to them several weeks ago already but no word on any problems. Should I expect an issue further down the road?

Would appreciate hearing from anyone that has traveled recently on Qatar and if they're being sticklers for the TYPED form. Thanks!
When you go to get 4457 always take 2 typed copies in case this happens. It has not happened to me but has happened to friends.

I just got back a couple weeks ago and here is what we had. My 4457 was not typed, however, they did want a copy of SAP permit going over and a copy of 4457 coming home. There is also a declaration of surrender of firearms that you have to have and can be filled out before you get to airport, just don’t sign it until you are at check in with them witnessing. You will have to have this both ways and filling it out before will save you about 45 minutes. They also made us unpack ammo and weighed it and weighed rifle cases separately.

I’ll be quiet honest, I did not use a travel agent but if I ever have to fly Qatar again I will either not take my own rifles or will use a travel agent. My plan as of now will be to NOT fly Qatar again unless they are the only game in town. All in all once you get through the firearms difficulties enjoy your trip!
I’ve heard they can be trouble. Always use an agent it makes it easier.

Just went to the CBP office in Long Beach, CA to get my 4457s done. They require TWO forms of ID. I had a passport card and a CA driver's license. Because the DL was not a "Real ID" version it got rejected (officer actually called it "fake ID" version). I drove 120 miles round trip to bring my birth certificate as alternate form of ID.

After that it took almost no time to sign and stamp the forms and inspect the firearms.

If anyone going to CBP again make sure the two forms of ID are recognized by the Feds.
Not in Texas. Sorry for your trouble

I was told to use the officer’s badge number for the license number and that worked with Qatar, Airlink and SA.

You can go to the form online at the Customs website and fill in the info and print. I take at least two copies and have the officer fill out both for each gun.

Someone mentioned the officer inputting something into the system?? No, they are only supposed to check serial numbers and sign. Anything else is gun registration!!

I just list the guns only. US Customs has never asked me about scopes, cameras or binoculars even though they could. Since 9/11, they are more worried about importing a firearm illegally than collecting duties/tax.

Someone mentioned the officer inputting something into the system?? No, they are only supposed to check serial numbers and sign. Anything else is gun registration!!
If that is the case then why would a CBP officer make copies of everything and then give the originals to me?

If that is the case then why would a CBP officer make copies of everything and then give the originals to me?

Definitely shouldn’t retain anything! There’s no federal registration.

If anyone going to CBP again make sure the two forms of ID are recognized by the Fed
Like Phillip Glass, I've never encountered this in Missouri. I can't recall being asked for even ONE form of ID. The agent made sure the serial numbers matched what's on the form. Then signed and stamped it. The conversation about where I was going, and what I planned to hunt, took more time than the process itself.

Question for guys who have recently traveled with rifles:

If you are taking the same rifle you took say 2 years ago, 5 years ago.... can you use the 4457 from when you last traveled? If I don;t need to make another trip to my CBP office, I really dont want to.

For whatever reasoning by SA, your 4457 must be dated in the year that you travel and be aware it must have the latest expiration date in the upper right hand corner...2022. Means nothing in the return to the US what dates you have but SA apparently does not understand what the 4457 is. Only their interpretation is it our license, I assume.

What goes in the "number" box on the top right of the form?

Just need name, address, description of goods and signature of owner. Correction: nothing in the number box.

How to Fill out CBP Form 4457?​

You can register your items at any port of entry or at the port you are departing from. The addresses and phone numbers of all ports are provided on the CBP official website. It is better to call and verify the address of the port you can register your equipment at. The CBP Certificate of Registration is easy to fill out:

1. Leave the box "Number" blank.
  2. Indicate your name and address in the boxes "Name of Owner" and "Address of Owner."
  3. Enlist and briefly describe articles in the box "Description of Articles;" do not forget to provide their serial number.
  4. Sign the document.
  5. Boxes "Port," "Date," and "Signature of CBP Official" will be completed by an authorized officer.

Last edited:
Just need name, address, description of goods and signature of owner. Correction: nothing in the number box.

How to Fill out CBP Form 4457?​

You can register your items at any port of entry or at the port you are departing from. The addresses and phone numbers of all ports are provided on the CBP official website. It is better to call and verify the address of the port you can register your equipment at. The CBP Certificate of Registration is easy to fill out:

1. Leave the box "Number" blank.
  2. Indicate your name and address in the boxes "Name of Owner" and "Address of Owner."
  3. Enlist and briefly describe articles in the box "Description of Articles;" do not forget to provide their serial number.
  4. Sign the document.
  5. Boxes "Port," "Date," and "Signature of CBP Official" will be completed by an authorized officer.
I guess I missed #1 on their website. I thought maybe it was the number of hours spent driving to and waiting around at a CBP office somewhere to have it signed? LOL. I have to drive to and fight the traffic in Denver to get it signed! That'll take the better part of a day.

Mine ended up with the US Department Of Homeland Security stamp in that box.
Probably best to leave t blank.

For whatever reasoning by SA, your 4457 must be dated in the year that you travel and be aware it must have the latest expiration date in the upper right hand corner...2022. Means nothing in the return to the US what dates you have but SA apparently does not understand what the 4457 is. Only their interpretation is it our license, I assume.
Is that not just for RSA? I dont think other countries follow that "logic".

I just got my new one for my hunt this June. The agent had a good laugh when I told him about South Africa's requirements.

It's a good thing that I had other things to do in Denver today so that I didn't have to drive 240 miles round trip for just a 4457

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross