New camera for the hunt

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Part of my plan for this summers hunt was to aquire a "nice" camera. My thinking on this was two fold. One being pictures a hell of a lot cheaper than taxidermy and two pictures a infinitely more transportable than taxidermy, as in I can have them on my phone. I mean lets be honest, you can pay for another nice hunt with the money you can pretty easily tie up in taxidermy bills. Now to be honest I did not know anything about cameras, I am not a tech guy to begin with, much less a photographer. I had been pondering on this situation for a while and through a stroke of complete luck I sold a rifle to a fellow member here and during out conversation I mentioned my photography plan and low and behold this fellow is an avid photographer. He was kind enough to point me in the right direction on the proper equipment, buying enough gear but not too much, one can tie up as much money in cameras as one can in safari rifles apparently, and with a little bit of guidance and a handful of YouTube videos I am now somewhat learning how to take pictures. I think this will be a very worthwhile skill to have on my future safaris. I love to shoot stuff, but there are some things its just way more affordable to take a photo of ;)
With that I give you my first attempt at some decent photo's with my new Nikon D5600. Having subjects to work with that can't complain is also very helpful
DSC_0048.JPG
DSC_0049.JPG

As someone who is dealing with a taxidermy and shipping bill right now...you are correct in your statement. Basically could have had the same hunt for what was spent on taxidermy and shipping. It will now be something extremely special for me to get it mounted.

I think you have the right idea going with the pictures.

A couple of days ago we were with a friend in RSA my wife was showing him photos taken with her new iPhone 14 pro. He then proceeded to show here pictures he had taken with his Samsung S22. His pictures were some of the most amazing that I have ever seen.

Just a thought!

Lon

I bought a Nikon Coolpix a900 in 2017 prior to my first safari as a means to not drag a full size DSLR on hunts. I found I really don't use it with the limited exception of longer distance shots. the newer iPhones just have phenomenal capabilities and are one less thing to carry. I still bring the Nikon along, but it lives in my backpack almost my entire trip.

I bought a Nikon Coolpix a900 in 2017 prior to my first safari as a means to not drag a full size DSLR on hunts. I found I really don't use it with the limited exception of longer distance shots. the newer iPhones just have phenomenal capabilities and are one less thing to carry. I still bring the Nikon along, but it lives in my backpack almost my entire trip.
I will admit I probably would have done the same with the phone, but my wife is coming with me and she won't be hunting so I figured she would enjoy using the camera while we were out in the field

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idahocougs89

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!