New calibre hitting the market

The agents advised me that someone had imported the minimum 200 rounds and were willing to let me have a couple of boxes from their order.
So someone else in Aus has the same idea? Don't even want to know the price per box. I was looking around last night and projectiles look like they might be hard to come by.

Hi gents,

I want to lift a bit of the mystery here. It is as previously mentioned a cartridgdeveloped for the swiss state of Graubünden where a 10,2mm diameter is requires. It was done to insure that the game is dropping at impact (or else due to the mountainous area difficult to track) and to force the hunters to not be able to shoot from a distance. The 10,3x68M was developed to have e for such a small state and few hunters the opportunity not only to shoot longer distances but use actions and casings at hand. That's why it was born.

I shot it myself at a driven hunt and am surprised of the versatility it provides. It knocks down all boars (Keiler) instantaneously without destroying the meat. It is actually makes less hematoma than a .308 or 30-06.

What is beautiful on top of the flat trajectory is that it kicks less than a 9,3x62 and about the same as a 30-06 with less instantaneous hit, it comes slower due to the lower pressure. My 300WM hits harder.

Would I use it for elephant hunting or Buffalo, no way, but basically everything in between.

I believe you (and Matt85) are correct in saying that they are answering a question no one asked, much like the WSM cartridges.
Gun writers lie, this we know.
Being paid to promote a product and do an unbiased review is a conflict of interest.
That being said, the empirical data that they collect will still be data that we can evaluate.
Any sportsman considering such a rifle should be able to discern gun writer opinion from the facts.

From the naming of the cartridge in metric and the only rifle I can find for it is a Blaser, I would guess it's aimed at Europe.

Has anyone seen/read why exactly this cartridge was developed?
@BeeMaa
Our Australian gun writer Nick Harvey isn't paid by gun companies to evaluate their gear. If a rifle fails first time he asks for another to be sent as EVERY company makes a lemon now and then. He likes to give them a chance. If a rifle fails to live up to the hype he does the write up and leaves out the high praise. Just says it's a reasonable entry level firearm. He even publishes his range result with factory ammo and hand loads if he loads for it. You get a reasonable account of the rifle tested.
Another writer tested the Bergera 243 break action single shot. It failed do he asked for another. It also failed to shoot with anything but 100gn round nose. With anything else it didn't shoot it patterned and he wrote it how it was. The same writer tested a Savage 22mag, stainless fancy barrel and blue laminate Evo stock.
Not his cup of tea but it was the most accurate 22mg he ever used and wrote that. He didn't send it back he sent a cheque instead
Both fair snd honest writers.
Bob

Seems very similar to the 400 HH
@Anthony George
To many to choose from now.
The old tried snd true do me, like the good old Whelen. On the 280AI case it would be even better.
If a factory round won't do the job simples design your own like I did with my 25.
Bob

Or maybe they wanted to offer Swiss hunters a bolt action option?
@Milehighshooter
Did you notice that plastic fantastic Barbie rifle aka Blaser had a fail to eject. The case had to be picked out of the action by hand.
Not much fun in a DG rifle/ cartridge.
I wonder if @BeeMaa has to do the same with his Barbie rifle. It sure woul make brass retrieval easier for him.
Ha ha ha ha
Bob

@BeeMaa
Our Australian gun writer Nick Harvey isn't paid by gun companies to evaluate their gear. If a rifle fails first time he asks for another to be sent as EVERY company makes a lemon now and then. He likes to give them a chance. If a rifle fails to live up to the hype he does the write up and leaves out the high praise. Just says it's a reasonable entry level firearm. He even publishes his range result with factory ammo and hand loads if he loads for it. You get a reasonable account of the rifle tested.
Another writer tested the Bergera 243 break action single shot. It failed do he asked for another. It also failed to shoot with anything but 100gn round nose. With anything else it didn't shoot it patterned and he wrote it how it was. The same writer tested a Savage 22mag, stainless fancy barrel and blue laminate Evo stock.
Not his cup of tea but it was the most accurate 22mg he ever used and wrote that. He didn't send it back he sent a cheque instead
Both fair snd honest writers.
Bob
It's hard to tell an honest gun writer from the ones that spew pure crap sometimes. Don't get me wrong, there are some good guys writing in the US, but it seems that most of the time the reader is left to decipher the wheat from the chaff. Having a well calibrated "BS meter" helps. I didn't mean to lump in your Aussie brethren gun writers with the majority of ours.

@Milehighshooter
Did you notice that plastic fantastic Barbie rifle aka Blaser had a fail to eject. The case had to be picked out of the action by hand.
Not much fun in a DG rifle/ cartridge.
I wonder if @BeeMaa has to do the same with his Barbie rifle. It sure woul make brass retrieval easier for him.
Ha ha ha ha
Bob
Haters gonna hate on great shooting and accurate rifles. It's OK Bob, Blaser will eventually make a 35W barrel....NOT!!! :cool:

Besides, it's not like I'm shooting a 243WIN. :A Stirring:

Heh, do you consider yourself 'down with the kids'? I on the other hand can legitimately run a 7mmRemMag if I'm so inclinded, the cartridge being much ( 30+ years) older than I am.

Leave these newfangled magnum doodads to us yoof, gramps...:Smug:
@Alistair
Problem as I sees it these new fangled doody whatsits and gizmo's don't do nuffin the olde cartridges ain't been doing fer years.
Man I'm down with the kids man only cause when I'm down man I'm DOWN. I do have a shit load of trouble gittin back up tho but man I'm down. Don't git me started on being hip to go wiff it. I gotta Se my doctor about my hips theyr starting to creak a bit.
You yoof ain't got it as good as you fink you have your fella. Just ask any of as old farts how good the good old days really were. We will set you straight on hard work and straight shootin and all the aches and pains that older age brings on because of the old days.
HA HA HA HA HA HA
Bob

Can't argue with that, I'm always trying to get the wife to move up there.

How did you end up getting the ammo into Australia? Have you got a source for any pils?

I've always been a bit of a contrarian like that too, especially if it's a great calibre too!
@JPbowhunter
Where are you located in Oz mate.
Bob

Haters gonna hate on great shooting and accurate rifles. It's OK Bob, Blaser will eventually make a 35W barrel....NOT!!! :cool:

Besides, it's not like I'm shooting a 243WIN. :A Stirring:
@BeeMaa
May be great shooting and accurate but failing to eject is an issue to me.
Bob

@BeeMaa
May be great shooting and accurate but failing to eject is an issue to me.
Bob
It would be a shame to condemn an entire system based on only one result. Instead, let the majority of the R8 shooters share their failure rates and see where the numbers really land. It would be like someone saying that the 243WIN is awesome because it killed a waterbuffalo with a 100 grain solid to the heart, dropping it dead in it's tracks. It could happen, but is it the norm or just an exception? Might be time for you to get a 243WIN.

@Alistair
Problem as I sees it these new fangled doody whatsits and gizmo's don't do nuffin the olde cartridges ain't been doing fer years.
Man I'm down with the kids man only cause when I'm down man I'm DOWN. I do have a shit load of trouble gittin back up tho but man I'm down. Don't git me started on being hip to go wiff it. I gotta Se my doctor about my hips theyr starting to creak a bit.
You yoof ain't got it as good as you fink you have your fella. Just ask any of as old farts how good the good old days really were. We will set you straight on hard work and straight shootin and all the aches and pains that older age brings on because of the old days.
HA HA HA HA HA HA
Bob
Totally empathise; us oldies feel the pain more as time goes by

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!