New Burris WOW

Finn fan

AH member
Reaction score
Articles
I have a Savage model 11 in 223 that I bought as a package with a cheap Simmons scope. It is my varmint/walking around/coyote gun. Used it for almost a decade. I upgraded the scope to a Burris 50mm 3x9 Fullfield. The old Simmons was getting dim and Midway USA was selling the Burris at a huge discount.

Well after sight in and such I am shooting the tightest groups ever from the gun. Dramatic reduction in group size. I have my reloading and shooting notes to back me up. I used to shot .6 inch groups with Fiocchi 50 grain Vmax and now I am repeatedly measuring groups between .25 and .3 inches. The same story with other measured loads.

The barrel has been cared for but not babied and has seen about 2500 rounds.

The odd thing is the old simmons seemed was not changing poi at all it was just getting dark. I would never have guessed that a scope change would have that much impact.

Last edited:
I own a couple of the older burris, with the post site, and 3 of the signature series. They are all very good scopes. For a varmint/coyote rig the 3-9 will serve you well.

And some people claim the scope does not make a difference.
Wait until you use a new Leupold VX3i. I see a difference in the old Varri-X line and the newer VX line of Leupold scopes. Or a Nightforce NXS scope.

Quality optics do cost more and they are worth it

I have a Burris fullfield II on my 6.5X55 and it is almost as nice as my Leopold VX3. I like Burris as a company because if anything goes wrong with the scope, whether you are the original owner or the 23rd owner, Burris still warranties the scope. Plus they are nice scopes.

Divernhunter is right. A good scope is as essential as a good rifle. Putting a cheap scope on a nice rifle is like putting steel truck wheels on a Ferrari.

Love Burris as well, I think I have 3 or 4 of them and no complaints.
Glad the swap is paying out with them shrinking shot groups

20 years ago some friends were involved with Hunter class Benchrest shooting. To qualify the rifle had limits on weight, cartridge and scope magnification. The Burris & Leupold 6x's were the far & away most favorite. If you shot anything less than a one inch group centered on the bullseye at 300 yards you were relegated to "also-ran", and a lot of the time that would get about third place.

I let my oldest son choose his scope, he looked through at least 15 different scopes in the 200-400 dollar range and wanted the Burris full field scope. He swears it is clearer to him than the others he looked through. I have owned a few and have given them away because I can't get them to ever get as clear as I want them. Must be my eyes. My son has moved up to a zeiss now but his younger brother loves the youth model 7 with the Burris on it just as much and shoots it very well also.
As far as the Simmons go I've never owned one on a CF rifle but had one on a 22 that bought at a hardware store so I could shoot rabbits while I was hung up in BFE, NV. It served its purpose but barely. It was like looking through a paper towel roll with crosshairs only the towel roll would probably win in optical clarity! Lol
Cheers,
Cody

ChrisG-Leupold has had the same warr for many years. No need for receipt/register for warr or be 1st or 100th owner and they will take care of it. Due to Leupold other companies are now doing the same such as Burris and Bushnell as well as others. I remember sending in a Bushnell and paying a fee to have a scope fixed. Not anymore.

I sent them a very,very old Varri-X II that was fine but not as crisp as the newer ones I have and they called--too old to even have parts(a 1960's scope)---they sent me a new VX2 as a replacement.
Better yet I sent a very old scope in pieces from a rifle that blew up with factory ammo more as a joke than anything and they called---could not be repaired---and they sent a new one. That one surprised me!

I own a 3-15 Veracity on my 243...great combination; Droptine 3-9 on my CZ .22 LR and CZ .22 WM...best rimfire scopes I've ever used; a C4 3-9 on a 30-06...very nice match; and a C4 4.5-14...but it's to much scope in my opinion on my Tikka 300WM (going to change to a 3-9 or 2-10).

Burris and Leupold are most of what I use these days. They're both affordable and excellent quality, IMO.

Quality optics make a huge difference in group size!

Glad you got the rifle shooting the tight groups. Now you are ready to take on the varmint world. I had an I expensive Burris on and old rifle that I sold some years ago. Never had any problems with it.

I also had a Fullfield II 3-9x40 on my 6.5x55. After a couple of years I upgraded to a Conquest but the Burris was an excellent scope. I've found the Fullfield II to be better in low light than other comparably priced scopes, at least to my eyes. Also had a 2-7x35 on my daughters .243, when I got a Bushnell Elite 4200 for the .243 I put the Fullfield on a 30-30. No complaints.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross