Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
South Africa, New Zealand, USA, Canada,
I bought a new Blaser R8 Standard Professional stock & receiver a month ago. I got a great price with a bolt group for $2,200. I found two barrels on AH in 300WM and 6.5CM for a bargain, less than $1000 each. I have added Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50 Ballistic Turret to both barrels with Blaser mounts. Love the light weight setup but getting expensive!

Home on the Range, my new Blaser had a great day at the range. I sighted the 6.5CM first with two shots using factory Hornady ELD-X 143 grain. Moved to 100 yards for three shots then moved to 200 yards to zero at that distance. I shot five shots into a little over 3/4" at 200 yards. A friend shot three shots into a little smaller group. I thought the trigger was okay before going to the range and was hopeful for decent groups. But, after range time, I love the trigger. It was crisp and precise with no creap. I love this rifle.

Home on the Range, my 300WM was just as great! I believe for a light rifle the recoil is very manageable with the Blaser stock. I usually shoot with suppressors but I may not thread these barrels. I may even shorten both barrels a few inches. The 300WM shot a little over 1" at 200 yards with Nosler Trophy Grade 180 grain Accubonds.

I now need a 223 and 375 H&H barrels. Wow, this has become very expensive with the cost of Blaser mounts & rings, Swarovski scopes, bolts, barrels, new takedown case, etc.

I was one of the doubters that had refused to drink the Blaser Cool-Aid but had decided that I wanted a small switch barrel rifle for traveling. I reluctantly got into the Blaser obsession but am now a Blaser Cool-Aid addict.

I am going to stretch both of them out to 500 yards in the next few weeks to double check my Ballistic Turret settings. Hoping for similar results at 300, 400, and 500. I ordered a set of the ZnikiZ turret rings to go from 3 rings to 5 rings. I have them set for a 200 zero then 300, 350, 400, 450, 500.

Congratulations on what sounds like a great buy! I also love the rifle. Welcome to the club!!! :A Big Hello:

Congratulations on the addition. Love to see a few pictures…

Congrats on the new addition!

Excellent deal! Nice you found some good factory ammo quickly as well. Have been slowly working up loads for my Blaser…223, 6.5, 30-06, 375. A few of my existing handloads have worked well. The ammo and component shortage has caused me grief finding good loads.
Best of luck with your new safe addition!

Glad to hear your liking the new rifle and getting good results on the range. I have had mine now for around 4 years. I discovered the Blaser K95 25 years ago and fell in love with it so I had no worries about the quality of the R8. I bought it as my knock around rifle for chasing Sambar. At first I didn’t use it much and it’s different from a normal rifle, I guess I’m a traditionalist and like good walnut and blued steel. “But it works” damm well , light , accurate, beautiful trigger and well made. Don’t believe all the BS about dust and dirt jamming it up. If for some strange reason it does get full of crap just take the scope off and throw in into the closest river and wash it out, their indestructible. Give it a little TLC when you get back home. Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg