New And Improved Remington 700 Dangerous Game Rifle

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Check out this video. Looks like Remington is making some major changes to the M700 in order to make it a more reliable Dangerous Game gun. Dual ejector plungers and an M16 extractor. Fours rounds in the magazine. Steel bottom metal. McMillan stock. Sounds like a step in the right direction. I'm hoping this is a sign that Remington's QC is coming back and they start making nice rifles once again. Available in 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag.

When all is said & done, since I can only shoot one rifle at a time I'd rather have either a Heym or a Winchester/Mauser for animals that biteback.

Remington had their chance with me. They screwed up, multiple times. Warped stocks, sticky rough triggers, unsafe trigger, bolt stop that stuck so bolt fell out, mis-aligned scope mount screw holes, barrel cocked so sights don't line up, extra short chamber throat, and generally poor fit and finish. Remington won the race to the bottom of the swamp. NO more Remingtons for me.

My take on Remington’s “new” Model 700 creation is this...you can put pearls on a pig, but at the end of the day you still got a pig!

Long live the Winchester Model 70.

Just my 2 cents.

At one time Rem and Win shared the market pretty equally. I have had numerous of each brand and up until recently had no real preference. I hunted a long time to replace the Rem 700 .308 that was my first BA hunting rifle in 1968. Took me a few years but I found one just like it.
I do know that in more recent times the Rem QC really sucked. I saw a guy at the range a couple of years ago with a brand new 700 and the bolt would not fully close and lock!
I would like to see them get it turned around, fine old company. America's oldest gunmaker.

Check out this video. Looks like Remington is making some major changes to the M700 in order to make it a more reliable Dangerous Game gun. Dual ejector plungers and an M16 extractor. Fours rounds in the magazine. Steel bottom metal. McMillan stock. Sounds like a step in the right direction. I'm hoping this is a sign that Remington's QC is coming back and they start making nice rifles once again. Available in 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag.

This has been an aftermarket option for some time from Long Rifles, Inc and my Remington 700 Custom in 416 has it except I stayed with a single ejector. It does do away with the one major but relative criticism of the design. For clients it is fine and my 700 is a tack driver. That 700 and my 40-Xs are really really good shooters. For PHs.... controlled feed or double. I got the 416 when they came out in the late 80's when it was the new hottest thing. Since then Winchester has embraced the 416 Rum Mag while I went on to the Rigby.

There is a good reason why there are so many after market custom parts and "upgrades" for Remington rifles on the market. There are so many on the market that have problems. Take a typical Remington, check to see if the scope mount screws were drilled top dead centre. Then replace the barrel, "blueprint" the action, replace the trigger, replace the bottom metal, replace the stock, epoxy & pillar bed the action, perhaps replace the bolt handle, replace the extractor with a Sako style, add an extra ejector plunger. Smooth the recess for the bolt stop so it works without sticking. Then you may have a rifle that performs the way the original should have to begin with.

And it is still the slowest rifle to reload with top feed.....no good for a DG rifle period....no matter the upgrades.....

Remy 700s have served me well. I’ve owned several. They have failed me no more than Winny 70s. JMO, any and all actions will fail in a given situation. That said, I still think I like the Winny 70 for DG...only so you guys don’t beat me up for having something else!:LOL::ROFLMAO::D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!