New .416 Rigby Arrived!

I'm trying to put that behind me. If only I'd thought that he probably only spoke Afrikaans, it might have made a difference.

I'm learning to say "stop jou bliksem of ek skiet!"

"Vlerke up of ek skiet" - Wings up or I'll shoot!

I'd bet money he had heard Bliksem before.

It's not his wings I was worried about. He desperately needed a pedicure. I guess it says something about my shooting. I got him in the head, not the foot.

Beautiful rifle Hank. Congrats.

When the animals see you with that thing they will probably fall over dead from fright.

When the animals see you with that thing they will probably fall over dead from fright.

I hope that is what happens with the Mtn Nyala. It will reduce the climbing and hunting time.

I'm actually OK whatever way they go down. What I think is more likely than dying of fright though, is that they will be so awestruck by the sheer beauty of this thin that I'll have all the time in the world to get the shot off!

I hope that is what happens with the Mtn Nyala. It will reduce the climbing and hunting time.
And I'm not sure this has mountain nyala in its DNA. Was thinking more of .300 win mag for that one.

And I'm not sure this has mountain nyala in its DNA. Was thinking more of .300 win mag for that one.

Me too. I think the extra weight and the fear of destroying that work of art in the jungle would make you cautious. I sure would be.

Beautiful rifle. Congrats!

Beautiful rifle! Hope you enjoy it.

Fantastic piece of craftsmanship, beautiful. Be well and shoot straight.

Was speak with Marc Newton the manager at John Rigby for a year ago, he say that they do not like to shoot them .416 Rigby in bench because of eventually the stock will crack... I got very surprised when I hear that...

I have always shooting my big bores in bench for zeroing open sight and scopes, never had a problem with damage to the stock even on rifles half the price as the new Mauser Rigby.

Last edited:
Was speak with Marc Newton the manager at John Rigby for a year ago, he say that they do not like to shoot the 416 Rigby in bench because of eventually the stock will crack... I got very surprised when I hear that...

I have always shooting my big bores in bench for zeroing open sight and scopes, never had a problem with damage to the stock even on rifles half the price as the new Mauser Rigby.

I have two .416 Rigby caliber rifles. I never shoot them from the bench, but it has to due to recoil, not the stock cracking!

Interesting, I can't understand how you can go out with a rifle and feel 100 % sure and comfortable if you not shoot it in a bench ?

Snap a couple of rounds standing with a tripod and happy with a 3" MOA isn't my cop of tea...

Furthermore how would it be possible to judge what components when it's comes to bullets and powder load your rifle prefer if you not shooting it from a bench ?????

I thought I had bought my last rifle, but . . .

I've been in London for abut 8 months now, and have done my very best to ignore Rigby during that whole time. It's quite out of the way if you live in central London, so not visiting Wandsworth was not difficult. Today, I finally succumbed, and went for a "quick visit." Well, that was a mistake!

I was greeted by Mark Newton, the Man-in-Charge, who I had met before, who introduced me to Andrew Ambrose, the Head of Sales. Andrew joined Rigby recently from Holland & Holland, and this is a man who knows his rifles. We talked for over an hour, having a look at various rifles, both new and historical (including the Jim Corbett rifle, which they have on display). Rigby is quite compact in terms of space - a compact showroom, some other things to buy, but this place is about the guns. The workshop is out back, and a busy place it is. Smaller than I expected, but everyone working side by side to get the rifles built. Andrew tells me it takes about 1000 hours to build a "London Best" and about 1600 hours to build a "rising bite" double (and a long waiting list for that gun).

The newish (by now) Highland Stalker is based on the Corbett rifle. The goal was to build a beautiful, well-balanced English rifle which weighed less than the Big Game, in calibers which would be useful for stalking smaller game. Based on the rifles I handled, I'd say they've succeeded.

So this has got me to the point where I think I need a highland stalker in .275 Rigby . . . I'm going to sleep on it and see if I feel differently tomorrow . . . but if not . . .

You are absolutely right, the John Rigby shop is about guns. The kind of guns that anyone that has been or is planning on going to Africa strive for. Walnut and bluing turned into functional art. Even though their knives, slings and other accessories are worthy of our attention, no one goes to the trouble of taking a cab from UCL or St James across the river past MI6 to the industrial area Rigby calls home, to window shop except for a few such as myself. By the way, I believe that with enough time, Marc or Andrew could sell a Stalking or Big Game rifle to a PETA member! You have my full moral support in buying that new Rigby! Looking forward to the pics in the future!

You are absolutely right, the John Rigby shop is about guns. The kind of guns that anyone that has been or is planning on going to Africa strive for. Walnut and bluing turned into functional art. Even though their knives, slings and other accessories are worthy of our attention, no one goes to the trouble of taking a cab from UCL or St James across the river past MI6 to the industrial area Rigby calls home, to window shop except for a few such as myself. By the way, I believe that with enough time, Marc or Ambros could sell a Stalking or Big Game rifle to a PETA member! You have my full moral support in buying that new Rigby! Looking forward to the pics in the future!

Taxi? I took the Jubilee tube and the No. 2 bus. Did I mention I was saving my money for a new rifle?

Thanks for the support!

Taxi? I took the Jubilee tube and the No. 2 bus. Did I mention I was saving my money for a new rifle?

Thanks for the support!
I took a taxi, playing the part of the big spender!!!!

So this has got me to the point where I think I need a highland stalker in .275 Rigby . . . I'm going to sleep on it and see if I feel differently tomorrow . . . but if not . . .

Good luck with that but we all fully expect to see an update soon about a new rifle being purchased!! (y):whistle:

I await the pictures of the new rifle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,