New 404J Owner Recoil Reduction Question

I did not read the add so I do not know if it had or has a scope. If you are adding a quality 30mm tube scope & Mts.there goes another 1lb.+

Morning all!

My 404j came in last night so I thought I'd show you some pics, if your interested. The Boyds stock should come in next week or the following and I need to take it down to the gunsmith because even though it can hold 3 cartridges in the clip if I put in 3 the first one doesn't eject properly, it just pulls back and sits on the other rounds, and it has some feeding issues as well. Still, happy to have it!

20180321_215248.jpg
20180321_215412.jpg
20180321_215304.jpg
20180321_215435.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
EA - What is the significance of the (14) after the 404 Jeffery noted on the barrel?

I would love to be able to tell you, but I have no idea. The story that I was told is that the rifle started life as a 338 Lapua but a gentleman bought it to convert it to a 404J. He had the work done on the action, had a new barrel installed and then passed away before he could use it. The estate put it up for sale and I picked it up.

EA - What is the significance of the (14) after the 404 Jeffery noted on the barrel?
I believe that the 14 denotes the twist rate, one turn in 14 inches.
You can double check this on your rifle with a cleaning rod by marking a start point then pushing it in. As the rod moves in it will rotate with the rifling of the barrel. When it has completed one revolution, measure back to your original mark. Measurement should be 14".

If this isn't the case, then I have no idea what the 14 would be for.

I believe that the 14 denotes the twist rate, one turn in 14 inches.
You can double check this on your rifle with a cleaning rod by marking a start point then pushing it in. As the rod moves in it will rotate with the rifling of the barrel. When it has completed one revolution, measure back to your original mark. Measurement should be 14".

If this isn't the case, then I have no idea what the 14 would be for.

Thank you! That is a great idea and you are probably spot on. Also thank you for educating me, I had no idea how to measure a twist ratio.

Thank you! That is a great idea and you are probably spot on. Also thank you for educating me, I had no idea how to measure a twist ratio.
No worries, but I'm not that smart.

I suspected it was the twist rate, but consulted Google to see common twist rates for the 404 Jeffery.

And the measuring twist rate thing...I learned from my grandfather when I was a young lad.

Glad you like your new rifle. Post pics when you get the stock done.

Cheers

Maybe have to think about it. I’m going to go get it next week!
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I was wondering what caliber is your Krieghoff?
I'm assuming it's a double rifle, but I know they make singles, doubles, drillings and what they call a "in-line repeater".

Just wondering.

Recoil is part of the trophy..... learn how to take it.

..every thing else is for Barby & Ken

HWL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!