Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Hungary, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
For the better part of four years I was aware that Rigby was going to follow their new big game rifle with a smaller stalking rifle using the Corbett .275 as a basis for the design. Lance Hendershot owner of Hendershot's Sporting Goods in Hagerstown, MD https://hendershots.net/ is a Rigby distributer, and while the "Highland Stalker" was still an experimental project, I had a deposit in for perhaps the first .275 to reach the US. Two weeks ago it arrived. I initially tried the 140 gr Hornady Interlock which the rifle did not love (those of you following another thread on this site will understand that I was not unduly upset). A few days ago, Lance forwarded a couple of boxes of Hendershot's Extreme Ammo loaded with the 170 gr Oryx - a bullet which I truly worship. The rifle and the results are shown below.

Is the rifle worth a nearly 9k price tag. Hell, I don't know. But it is an exquisite creation in hand and it shoots one of the best 7mm bullets on the planet. I am thrilled. And, it is, after all, a RIGBY!

full

full

I looked that rifle over the other day on another site, and also read a write up in a magazine about it. Nice looking rifle, and functionally perfect I would assume.

Got one question, I thought I read that it was factory regulated for a 140 grain bullet...did you have yours customized?

Lovely rifle! Shoots really well too! Is it based on Corbetts or Bells rifle?

................ I initially tried the 140 gr Hornady Interlock which the rifle did not love (those of you following another thread on this site will understand that I was not unduly upset). .....................

Thanks for the laugh. :ROFLMAO:

That is an exquisite rifle. Glad you are enjoying it.

The open sights on production rifles are regulated for the 140 gr bullets. Mine as well. However, I am an old guy mired in tradition, and the 7mm Mauser is an unbelievable thing with the 170 gr bullet. Punches way above its weight. I had Rigby lengthen the throat slightly to insure no feeding issues. Rifling is fine for both 140's and 170's. This rifle loves a fast 170. I am ecstatic.

Lovely rifle! Shoots really well too! Is it based on Corbetts or Bells rifle?
Corbett's - only difference is a somewhat less drop at heel to accommodate scope use.

Is the rifle worth a nearly 9k price tag. Hell, I don't know. But it is an exquisite creation in hand and it shoots one of the best 7mm bullets on the planet. I am thrilled. And, it is, after all, it is a RIGBY!

Congratulations on the new, beautiful and accurate rifle. It's one thing to own a rifle and quite another thing to own a RIGBY.

If the question on the hefty price tag lingers with you, perhaps some wise, old, sage advice is fitting: :)

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.”

W.C. Fields

Congratulations!!!

I have ordered one as well just waiting for it to arrive.

Beautiful rifle congrats sir!

The stock on that rifle is beautiful.. color me jealous!

Great pick up @Red Leg

Nice looking rifle, congrats on the addition!

Very nice indeed! And, even better that it is in the hands of a hunter who understands it's true worth.

That sir, is a thing of beauty.

Now for the really important question. What hunt will be it's first?

Who cannot love the style of this Rigby.....Corbetts rifle was made 1907, IIRC..?

My Mannlicher -Sch. mod. 1903 (6,5x54mm) by Charles Lancaster is made late 1906, still in its original case. Bought by a scottish Captain (later Colonel) who presumably hunted stags on the moor with it....same style on the stock with Prince of Wales grip and a rather short forend..

IMG_9621.JPG
IMG_9622.JPG
IMG_9623.JPG
IMG_9624.JPG

congrats on a beautiful rifle .

That's awesome dude! Really diggin' that stock!

I was going to say..... I love your wood. However, I know this group too well, not excluding my own smartass..... (i.e. @gizmo , @Bullthrower338 ). LOL!!!! :LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JannEarle

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois