Needing Experienced Gunsmith opinions on a project

as an aside,
sprinter arms in south australia used to rebore win mod 100 semi autos probably 308, but possibly 243 as well, to 358 win.
these rifles were reported to not miss a beat.
bruce.

@Ridge Runner.
Forget the Garand for anything that's not on the 06 case due to the enbloc mag. It would be very expensive to do any mag mods. It has been done to the 35 Whelen so I can't see the 9.3x62 not working. The 270 and 280 May develop to much pressure.
The M14 should be a good candidate to nearly all the T65 derivatives. It would be an awesome hog rifle in 338 federal or 358 Winchester and a 20 found mag.
Why not go the full deal and convert a Remington 7400 to 458 win mag. A semi auto 458 would be fun.
Bob.
The Browning BAR has been converted to both .458WM and .416 Taylor and it has a magazine. Have someone build some ten round extended magazines for it and rock and roll!

I can’t help you with your question. What I will mention is if anyone is interested in the M1 Garand or other USA military rifles and happen to be around Springfield MA, you might stop in at the armory. It is very interesting

just don’t carry a weapon when you go in:D

View attachment 362169
View attachment 362170
View attachment 362171
View attachment 362172View attachment 362174
wheels,
what are the firearms in the bottom rack.
they seem to have hammers.
muzzle loaders or trapdoors? or other?
bruce.

wheels,
bruce.

Sorry but I don’t remember.

they were rifles made at some point in the armory’s history. Perhaps someone else who knows will chime in.

35 wheelen would likely be easy enough. 458 Win Mag has been done so anything there down at least would be possible. Same outfit did 338 as I recall.
5A9A58C1-9B06-4E8D-82C5-2C8D89B50AA2.jpeg

wheels,
bruce.
Those appear to be Model 1861 US Percussion Rifle-Muskets, 58 Cal. The most numerous Federal issue long arm of the US Civil War. Made by Springfield Armory and several contractors.

Pic attached shows a Model 1861 @ third from top- note the flat barrel bands with band spring retainers. The bottom musket is a Model 1863 Type I US Percussion Rifle Musket with domed barrel bands without band retainers- somewhat similar to the barrel bands on the British Enfield.

M 41,42,61,63.JPG

Last edited:
thank you 458.
around the world these historical collections are very interesting.
i remember fondly a long visit to the tower of london arms museum.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg