Need Your Help & Input About Crocodile & Leopard Hunting

Obi Wan Kenobi

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Zambia, Saskatchewan, Argentina
Gentlemen and ladies if you're here.

Just got a few questions. I've been to Africa now twice. 14 with my dad. 16 with my wife. First hunt did the whole plains game thing in S Africa. Shot like 6 animals. Wonderful time.

16 my wife and I did more plains game, bigger stuff like Kudu, Zebra and ssssshhhhhhh yes I shot a lion.:censored:(y)

Both times I went it was cold. It was late May and mid June. I want to put a deposit down soon for a Leopard Hunt, Sable & Croc deal.

Questions....................Can crocs be hunted in Africa during the cold weather months? I guess that may be a dumb question but both times I was there it was like high 30s in the morning 75-80 mid day then back in the upper 30s or 40s at night. I've seen some people on here take great big crocs but didn't ask or know what time of year it was.

Also who would be a good trusted outfitter to take a nice Leopard and huge croc in the same trip?

Also one other question. I'm sorry........................Could I hunt a Leopard in 7-9 days? I own a pretty big insurance agency and to be honest most of the people in my office are like children. If I'm gone 2 weeks or 21 days its no telling what the hell I'll find when I come back. Just saying I can't afford time wise to do a 21 day Leopard hunt. I was thinking I could harvest a nice Sable and big croc perhaps in the same day no more than 3 days if I got lucky then spend 7-8 days hunting Leopard. Is that likely?

I tell people all the time I'm a pretty successful guy hunting & business wise because I shut my mouth, humble myself and listen to people who've been more successful than me. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Well hunting a leopard isn't like hunting a lion in SA......yes you could have one come straight to bait and shoot it first day when you go and sit....but then again you could do two or three 14 or 21 day hunts or more in some peoples case...before you shot one....so as you are obviously an intelligent person I will leave you to decide whether you want to risk it.....

Like Mike says, you can give it a try, but there is a reason that most Leopard hunts are sold with 14 days. They are wild animals and there are no guarantees. It is a lot of work even with pre baiting.

You could likely find a spot to shoot a Croc on a Dam/pond in RSA and a Sable,
but Leopard hunting there is quite restricted permit wise. So, you are not liekly to repeat your earlier adventures.

There are several Outfitters on AH that operate in Zambia, Zimbabwe and Tanzania that would be able to pull a Leopard/Croc hunt together for you.
That timeline will likely have you put on "ignore".

My honest suggestion: Get a better babysitter for the office and take the time to really put the time in on a DG hunt. You'll have way more fun.
If you must absolutely work, there are SAT phones.

I would honestly think about booking an open ended hunt for a leopard. Guys have spent numerous 14 day trips before seeing their first one. I think there Zambia or Tanzania might be your best bet if you need to compress it, but it is risky.

Take a Sat phone ans maybe find a camp with wifi...use the SAT phone as a bad signal and log on if absolutely necessary.

To do that short of a trip you will need to choose your outfitter wisely. From what I have read on here and the other network here are a couple of thoughts. My first thought is Zambia. There are some outfitters there that run close to 100 % on leopard. If you have the cash then Tanzania should not be overlooked for a leopard. Then, in my mind at least, look at Zimbabwe and Mozambique. Zambia may be more $ than say Namibia, but its better to pay a little more and get your cat on the first trip and have to try 2-3 times. There are never any guarantees with cats. Pick a PH that is a cat guy and then talk to him about his favorite area. Good luck.
Bruce

As said above choose outfitter wisely . I had a friend book 3 -14 day hunts in Zimbabwe with pre bait the whole 9 yards and finally connected on his 4th hunt . That's why they call it hunting and not killing must be a mature cat and not just a cat.
Happy hunting!

If lady luck is on your side, then yes...

As long as you understand that a leopard is not a canned hunt.

...and yes, you can hunt in warmer months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a report from home now. Got a decent cat feeding. It’s hard to say how big he is until I get home and go and look. I will sell this cat on a reduced day rate with a high trophy fee.
92C0384D-39FA-4263-86EE-4746EE64D396.jpeg
4018D096-ED8B-4826-B1AB-BF481DCEB84D.jpeg

3C5465F2-42D6-489D-A015-05BCC8AB462A.jpeg

Pull up Grant Taylor's site and browse through his gallery. www.mashambanzousafaris.com He is in Mozambique and he has a great success rate on leopard and truly gigantic crocs (Pleistocene sort of big). Mozambique is much closer the equator than South Africa, so cold temps are not an issue. I have hunted with him twice, and they offer a fabulous, old Africa experience.

As Red Leg says, you will hardly find a better place to hunt croc than Mozambique. On leopard, I don´t have a clue.

Pull up Grant Taylor's site and browse through his gallery. www.mashambanzousafaris.com He is in Mozambique and he has a great success rate on leopard and truly gigantic crocs (Pleistocene sort of big). Mozambique is much closer the equator than South Africa, so cold temps are not an issue. I have hunted with him twice, and they offer a fabulous, old Africa experience.
Ditto this idea of Moz

I took my leopard on the third safari and 40th day afield for leopard. A 14 day hunt with prebaiting is a must. It may be the toughest hunt in Africa to get done. I think Zim or Moz is where you want to go for leopard, sable, croc.

The Leopard density in the Luangwa Valley has to been seen to be believed. Croc, would be an afternoon. I've killed one Lion and two Leopards, all on the Luangwa River. I sat a total of 7 sittings (IIRC) for all three cats.

Specifically, you CANNOT go wrong with; Chanjuzi, Nyaminga and Chifunda. No sable in those three though.

If you would like to know who's booking, PM me. (It isn't me)

Good evening Sir

We can do this in Tanzania. Did it before. References available.
All free range hunting in wild Africa. Promises to be an experience of
a lifetime. Dates available 2019 July. Please contact us for more info
jaco@gtasafari.com.
Thank you.

Can’t wait to hear who you book with. Keep us posted.

Consider booking a dog hunt for the leopard. Would have to be in Zimbabwe or Mozambique. I highly recommend Coenraad Sheeppers as the dog guy. Using dogs allows you to take more control of the hunt. To be more proactive rather than sitting and waiting for the cat to make the first move. I got a nice leopard on my 4th day of hunting.

Gentlemen and ladies if you're here.

Just got a few questions. I've been to Africa now twice. 14 with my dad. 16 with my wife. First hunt did the whole plains game thing in S Africa. Shot like 6 animals. Wonderful time.

16 my wife and I did more plains game, bigger stuff like Kudu, Zebra and ssssshhhhhhh yes I shot a lion.:censored:(y)

Both times I went it was cold. It was late May and mid June. I want to put a deposit down soon for a Leopard Hunt, Sable & Croc deal.

Questions....................Can crocs be hunted in Africa during the cold weather months? I guess that may be a dumb question but both times I was there it was like high 30s in the morning 75-80 mid day then back in the upper 30s or 40s at night. I've seen some people on here take great big crocs but didn't ask or know what time of year it was.

Also who would be a good trusted outfitter to take a nice Leopard and huge croc in the same trip?

Also one other question. I'm sorry........................Could I hunt a Leopard in 7-9 days? I own a pretty big insurance agency and to be honest most of the people in my office are like children. If I'm gone 2 weeks or 21 days its no telling what the hell I'll find when I come back. Just saying I can't afford time wise to do a 21 day Leopard hunt. I was thinking I could harvest a nice Sable and big croc perhaps in the same day no more than 3 days if I got lucky then spend 7-8 days hunting Leopard. Is that likely?

I tell people all the time I'm a pretty successful guy hunting & business wise because I shut my mouth, humble myself and listen to people who've been more successful than me. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Hi, Picking the right month and the right time of year for croc & leopard can be a bit difficult. Crocodile will not feed below 20C they cannot digest there food and it will kill them. Leopard of course feed the year around but your baits will last longer when the weather is cooler. Right now (January) temps are running in the high 20s. We have been playing and getting some nice trail cam photos of a nice male leopard, he fed on a bush pig bait for four nights. He has been been spending the rest of his time mating with a female, they have been quite noisy. Right now we have one of our local fish poachers in the hospital after a croc caught him by the shoulder fortunately for him he had some fellow poachers close by and rescued him.

As to your length of time on a hunt there is a reason why hunts are of a certain duration, go by your outfitters recommendations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois