SkullKeeper

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Tanzania, Zambia
Who are some good gunsmiths for making mausers function properly and smoothly ? I have several issues with a new to me rifle and I need this sorted out ASAP.
thank you !

Chad Dixon at Longrifles Inc in SD is an absolute mauser Guru.

Call him direct, don’t just email. He isn’t cheap…but his work is solid.

edited to add- depending on your rifle and issue…be prepared to wait. Parts are often unavailable for old Mausers or were hand fitted.

Most of this is solvable…but time and money

Skullkeeper, several names come to mind, i.e. Randy Selby, Dennis Olsen and Hill Country Rifles. Time may not be on "your side." What rifle is giving you trouble, in what way is it acting up?

The names gunsmith and ASAP do not go together.

Most of the better ones will be backed up months if not over a year out. Even if you are willing to pay extra very few will put their other customers aside to work on your rifle.

Gary Junk, Arctic Gun Works. Fantastic smith, genius with all things German.

The names gunsmith and ASAP do not go together.

Most of the better ones will be backed up months if not over a year out. Even if you are willing to pay extra very few will put their other customers aside to work on your rifle.
ASAP and “right away” are certainly two different things, just looking to get in line for the work as soon as I decide who to get to work on it. I’d be PO’d if someone “bought” their way in front of me as well.

Skullkeeper, several names come to mind, i.e. Randy Selby, Dennis Olsen and Hill Country Rifles. Time may not be on "your side." What rifle is giving you trouble, in what way is it acting up?
I will call you a bit later

I had some issues with my 404 Jeffery that needed to be sorted when I got it. I found Matt Roberts at MNR Custom. He was excellent to work with and had it resolved and back to me within 4 months. I recommend contacting him.

How good are you with your hands and what is wrong right now ? The mauser action has some basic design principles. I did work on my own rifle and there is info on this forum that helped me. I documented the process on a thread. @Von Gruff posted magazine design docs and then I had to figure some stuff out. Duane Wieber knows his stuff as well as AHR.

this is the link to the thread @Nhoro mentioned

And this was my thread.3 things interact to give good feeding- correct magazine dimensions, feed ramp angles and shape and the magazine feed lips. And simple as it seems, there seems to be few gunsmiths that truly have a handle on it and they are justifiably busy.

this is the link to the thread @Nhoro mentioned
Yes I found it the other day - wonderful reference!

And this was my thread.3 things interact to give good feeding- correct magazine dimensions, feed ramp angles and shape and the magazine feed lips. And simple as it seems, there seems to be few gunsmiths that truly have a handle on it and they are justifiably busy.
Yes sir - I have the rifle off to an expert now. I’m very new to the Mauser club and I’m learning a lot (at this point most is what not to do )

I just entered the Mauser club myself so I am very interested in what your rifle was not doing.

I just entered the Mauser club myself so I am very interested in what your rifle was not doing.
The donor barreled action was a 300 Weatherby and this conversion to 404 left it popping cartridges out of the magazine when ejecting the first round. It’s in the hands of an expert now to sort out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!