buddy48

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Georgia, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Missouri, South Africa
ok...here's the deal. My son (12 years old) and I have been shooting every weekend for a month. I'm dialed in out to 200 yards off of a bipod. He was getting dialed in at 170, roughly a 6" group, from a bipod, but now his groups are spreading out about 12". I'm not sure what has happened. The rifle is still capable because I shot it myself.

Any advice to help him tighten his group? On a bench he is deadly out to 175-200 yards, but he says the side to side away is a lot off of the sticks. I'm not letting him brace on anything currently. Should I? Or should we try a tripod?

It wouldn't hurt to use a tripod or shooting sticks with 3 legs, as most outfitters in Africa have this setup.

@Royal27 had a good point a few months back on thread dealing with this same question. Perhaps he will be along to pass you that valuable information as I remember a few guys responding to it with better results after trying a few things

Best of luck

Proper support on the sticks is going to be better for his confidence.
Not sure what stance he is using on the sticks but proper for is going to help.

Is he getting recoil shy?

Thanks @reedy0312 ,

You know i get passionate about shooting sticks. :)

Definitely a tripod. It is steadier than a bipod. And, it is what will be used by the PH. They are great.... shouldn't be too much adjustment as he is already shooting from bipod.

Always work to improve your shooting position when you can, always. So bracing against something or even you is an option.

Problem here is we need more information to help your son. It could be he changed his stance, or he could be flinching, or something else... easy enough to check for flinch. Tell him the gun is loaded and to shoot, but don't load the gun.

Here are a couple of threads on sticks.

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/getting-ready-for-the-big-hunt.26235/

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/shooting-from-sticks.28912/

Pay particular attention to his feet. Having proper footwork is paramount. Shoulder width and close to even. Discussed in detail in bith threads as I recall.

I used a bipod and had trouble being steady. The easy solution was to use another bipod (or my PH shoulder) under my elbow. I was good and almost all my shots were over 300 yards with the longest at 480 yards and all were one shot drop dead shots. My daughter was good out to 400 yards without all the extra help but used the 2nd sticks on a couple of 400 and 415 yard shots.

I just got a magazine that had an article on shooting sticks and their use. It also suggested the 2nd set bracing the elbow or using some ones shoulder. So it is just not me.:)

I was in your position two years ago with my now 15 year old son. We changed to small caliber for practice (17hmr bolt action) to eliminate recoil reaction We made sure that he was on his toes to shoot with the tripod and we switched from paper targets to steel gongs all smaller that five inches (aim small and miss small) and the noise allowed instant feedback.
image.jpeg

He shot well in RSA.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I could I would take every shot prone from a Harris bipod.

It just doesn't always work that way in the field!

Point is, Divernhunter is right, anyway you can get steadier is a good way.

Your son shoots off a standing bipod better than me, lol. Those things just are not very stable; I shoot just as good offhand using the sling. I do great with bipods from prone or sitting, but not standing.

The tripod shooting sticks are where its at, and as stated, almost all PHs use them. No matter where I hunt, I bring my own tripod sticks just in case the PH doesn't have a set.

Thanks for all the advice. We'll try the tripod and go from there. He doesn't flinch, I've tested that. He's ben shooting a .308 for 2 years now and has no problem handling it and I gave him the gun on an empty chamber to test it.

I do like the idea of the smaller steel target. We can definitely try that as well. I have access to plenty of steel.

In regards to his stance, he was standing with his left forward about three weeks ago. I squared him up after than and he seemed to do a little better. I had him wrap his left hand in the sling, but that didn't help at all.

We'll get after it again this week and see what happens.

Yep tripod would be the ticket

Alright..I think we got 'er done. He's out to 200 now in a 5-6" group. And, just for giggles we stepped back to 210 for that "monster kudu shot" (you know the one you dream about) and he put it 1" dead above center target.

We widened his stance and I grabbed a monopod, we use it occasionally in our ground blind, and stuck it under his right elbow. It steadied him up big time. He's excited now. I think that he was mostly beating himself mentally to tell you the truth. I had to talk him through it. I had to give him confidence that he could do it like reminding him his great grandfather was crack shot and earned a bronze star in WWII for killing 14 enemy snipers in 7 days. I think that concreted it in his mind that he had it in his blood to shoot well. :)

Thanks for all the advice!

Great!!!

Confidence is key.

Looking forward to meeting you and your son at the airport on Wednesday buddy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross