Need some help looking for a new used double

In the price range your talking about..you can buy something really nice. You can get a NEW Heym for about 18,000 and I'm working on a Searcy now. If the serial number of the Searcy starts with BL then it's one of his later CNC machined receivers. The place I shop with has a used Heym .470 NE in excellent like new condition. I talked to Butch and you don't have to worry about his guns. His warranty best in the business and located in US.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm still looking and haven't made my mine up yet. I have seen a brand called Famars that has my interest peaked a bit and there are two nice looking rifles by that maker on Guns international right now that are pretty tempting.

In the price range your talking about..you can buy something really nice. You can get a NEW Heym for about 18,000 and I'm working on a Searcy now. If the serial number of the Searcy starts with BL then it's one of his later CNC machined receivers. The place I shop with has a used Heym .470 NE in excellent like new condition. I talked to Butch and you don't have to worry about his guns. His warranty best in the business and located in US.

I would never knock Searcy's quality but his warranty is becoming questionable in my mind. Three recent purchasers of Searcy doubles have stated the life time warranty is no longer offered. I would certainly verify the specifics of his warranty and settle any question you may have before purchasing new. If Butch is retiring and plans to get out of the service business, the value of his rifles will certainly suffer.

hunt 101 just on way home from sci show and verney carron had among their display a 450/400 and a .450 there. they were around $13,500 i think and both very nice. the .450 fit me perfectly and a couple more bloody marys and i would have got into trouble with her ladyship!! they are building some superb rifles and the round body action is very pretty. they had some there with engraving and were more expensive in the high $20 to $35,000 range. if/when i get another double it will be from them.

Thanks Macs B I was unaware of that. Looks like I need to call and find out more info.

MacsB, How many of the other makers have a long warranty? Butch still offers a lifetime to the original owner as far as I know. He just stopped extending it to other owners later on.

I recently looked at a 577 BPE from H&H. How hard do you think they be laughing if I asked for any repairs on a rifle that was 125 years old.
Does anyone else do differently?

A lot of high end arms makers provide a life time warranty to the original owner of the firearm. As you are not the original owner of that 125 year old Holland & Holland rifle why would you expect to be offered warranty service?

Searcy is not offering the life time warranty on new purchases of his base model double rifle or stalker rifle, according to my clients who purchased one in the last six months. I personally have not purchased one of his rifles recently so I have only the word of his recent customers to base my assumption.

A couple of thoughts.

Do the stock dimensions work for you? A double needs to fit.

Balance? Multiple barrels sets can be difficult to be balanced with all the barrels

Shotgun tubes, it is difficult for shotgun barrels to be useful on most double rifles, if the comb is correct height for the rifle sights it will be to high for most users to get their face down far enough to see down the rib on the shotgun set, if it fits as a shotgun then you will have to hold your face up off the comb to see the rifle sights.

Thank you for all the great advice from everyone, I have looked at the Chapuis guns and the VC guns, but I think I really want my potential new rifle to have some sort of third bite or a cross bolt. I'm sure it isn't needed but its something I like, currently it doesn't appear I'll be able to find something that fits those requirements with a set of shotgun barrels. I have dropped the shotgun barrels from my list of wants and I am now just searching for a used double in 470 with either a third bite or cross bolt.

Talk to Butch about his Rising Bite. That'd be the best of all worlds!

I do not think he will find a used Searcy rising bite as it is a fairly new model & probably not a lot of them floating around yet.
BTW, the V-C guns do have 3 bites, just not at the top. On another topic, if you think the cross bolt through the rib extension will save you in the case of a failure I have some swamp land in Florida we need to talk about. Most of the cross bolts are not even in contact (or very little contact) with the rib extension hole. I have also seen the rib extension break off when a barrel set was accidentally dropped. Rib extensions, side clips, etc were a move by makers in the old days to try and keep a gun on face longer but with modern steel & improved designs they do nothing now to make it stronger.
I understand you want a used double, the most important thing you should be looking for if you want to use it is how the stock fits you.
Shoulder the gun with your eyes closed. When you open your eyes (without moving your head)you should be looking at the sights with the front bead in the bottom of the V. If you are seeing to much or to little of the front sight, or if the bead is left or right you will need to have the stock adjusted if you have enough wood. Your face should also be about 1/2 way from the comb to the heel for a proper LOP. Practice locking your cheek into the comb when you mount the gun so that you are consistent in putting your face in the same place every time. A double rifle has more in common with a shotgun than a bolt rifle

I do not think he will find a used Searcy rising bite as it is a fairly new model & probably not a lot of them floating around yet.
BTW, the V-C guns do have 3 bites, just not at the top. On another topic, if you think the cross bolt through the rib extension will save you in the case of a failure I have some swamp land in Florida we need to talk about. Most of the cross bolts are not even in contact (or very little contact) with the rib extension hole. I have also seen the rib extension break off when a barrel set was accidentally dropped. Rib extensions, side clips, etc were a move by makers in the old days to try and keep a gun on face longer but with modern steel & improved designs they do nothing now to make it stronger.
I understand you want a used double, the most important thing you should be looking for if you want to use it is how the stock fits you.
Shoulder the gun with your eyes closed. When you open your eyes (without moving your head)you should be looking at the sights with the front bead in the bottom of the V. If you are seeing to much or to little of the front sight, or if the bead is left or right you will need to have the stock adjusted if you have enough wood. Your face should also be about 1/2 way from the comb to the heel for a proper LOP. Practice locking your cheek into the comb when you mount the gun so that you are consistent in putting your face in the same place every time. A double rifle has more in common with a shotgun than a bolt rifle

Very sage advice from someone very knowledgeable on double rifles.

OK, you have decided to make the jump! Congratulations. I will offer a bit of information that you may find helpful. I have been a double owner/user for nearly 30 years. I had a federal importers license as well. Double rifle are like a drug and can be addictive, so beware.
Since there were time when I needed to sell a double, I can honestly say that "English guns will definitely be your best bet for resale". There is no debate in this comment. Lately, the prices have been soaring and I am amazed that they are selling at current prices! For example, I had a friend bring me a Rigby grade C boxlock from England in 1990. The stock looked as if someone had made it with a chain saw and it was butt ugly! It had 28 inch barrels and excellent bores. The saving grace was the bores and metal were in very good condition. I paid 5,000 for the rifle, which at the time seemed like a lot. I sent it to Gary Goudy for a new stock, (1500.00) plus 600.00 for the stock blank. It was beautiful and fit me perfectly. Next I gave the gun to Pete Mazur, who is an incredible double gun restoration man. He refiled the rib, picked up the engraving, reshaped the trigger guard and rolled the right edge to eliminate a cut finger. He re-struck the barrels and did a fantastic rust blue. I tore the action down and hand polished all the internal parts. Needless to say the gun was gorgeous. His charge was 3,000.
This was the most accurate rifle I ever owned and would shoot right and left barrel touching at 50 yards off the bench! I still have the targets proving this out. Today this gun would bring 30,000 to 35,000 easily.

When you buy a rifle, be sure the seller stands behind it! The man I know that does this is George Caswell, who owns Champlin Arms.
A fellow bought a Holland Royal from George a number of years ago, and when he fired the rifle the left barrel ruptured! Luckily, nobody was hurt. George refunded the complete cost of the rifle and if memory serves me it was about 55,000 dollars. I don't know of any one else that would do this. He is very knowledgeable and helpful.
He is an excellent source! Another good company is William Larkin Moore out of Scottsdale. Bill Moore passed away a few years ago and was a great guy. His sons took over the business and are also very good people.
I have a friend in England who is an excellent source and if you pm me, I can have him contact you regarding his inventory. He worked for Westley Richards for a number of years and knows his stuff.

I would stay with the 470 if I were you! it is still the "go to caliber" for Africa and has occult status. Ammo is available from different producers, which works in your favor and the re-sell on this gun is always there. Give me a PM and I will try and help

Hi guys, I'd like to get some opinions on what might be a good option for a new used double. I'm headed to Africa soon to hunt buffalo, maybe a hippo, and some plains game. I'd like to pick up a new probably used double in 450/400 or 470, if I could find that option with some extra barrels including a shotgun set that would be awesome. At this point I'm open to all makes and combinations out there and just want to hear what some of the experienced guys have to say. It isn't critical that the rifle have multiple barrels but it did seem like a neat option. I know nothing of multiple barrel sets and if they work as well as a stand alone rifle or if they end up doing a so so job at being a rifle and a shotgun? I found a nice looking Searcy set that has a 375, 470, and a 12ga I really like the looks of it but I have read mixed reviews on this makers and don't know if this might be a maker to look hard at or not. Also I'm looking for a gun that I can hunt but will increase in value and not be a hard resell if I decide to part with it later. I kind of feel like a nice classic english gun might be exactly that a gun that you can hunt but easily get your money back out of if need be.

Critical points
450/400 or 470
quality gun in the 20K to 30K range
Holds it's value
auto ejectors
non-auto safety

Non critical points but desired
multiple barrels to include a shotgun barrel
Having mounts for a scope

I'm sure there is much more I'm forgetting but that is my starting point for trying to locate a used double, now I just need some maker and model suggestions from you guys. Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg