Need Outfitter Advice on 1st Safari

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Looking at outfitters in limpopo area for my very 1st PG safari. I am looking into Tsala, Eland Safaris, Maartens Safaris for a 10 day safari to cover 8-10 species.

Any recommendations for me being a newbie? I've gone over the testimonials for each, all good. Spoken to each, all good. Just lost on whom I should choose and why? Lol From what im hearing from references, all 3 outfits only harvest quality trophies not just a mediocre specimen as that is what im looking for not the 1st thing we see of that makes sense.

Any and all feedback is very welcomed and sincerely appreciated as this decision is a very tough one...hands down.

Thanks everyone.

Somerby Safaris. We hunted 10 PG animals in 10 days and had quite the trip. You will not go wrong with them. Contact Lindi and she will set you straight.

I hunted with Alex at Eland Safaris several years ago. He and his brother Johnny are great people. Very nice lodge and a great family.
We shot 13 animals between two of us. Can highly recommend them.

I know how I do it. Start with a spreadsheet with EVERYTHING you want listed. Sounds like you may have started narrowing down but I suggest looking at/comparing as many outfitters as you can find. As each outfitter quickly responds (or not) look at responses and start reducing outfits.

This is daunting and prepare to get overwhelmed but after some time one outfit will stand out for you. At least it does for me. Send deposit, start getting gear, shoot guns, shots, then sit back and enjoy the wait.

I am very envious, a first safari is an amazing life altering, brain changing outstanding experience. Be prepared to start planning a return before you leave Africa.

PS, take your wife, spouse, children, parent or someone close who can share, SA and Limpopo is easy to get to, safe and offers an amazing hunt.

Enjoy the whole experience.

MB

Are you gun hunting or bowhunting?

Wife and I hunted with @TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS last October. Nothing but great things to say about our hunt, property and the Nel family!
If you want to talk specifics some time shoot me a PM. Would be glad to talk hunting anytime.

I know how I do it. Start with a spreadsheet with EVERYTHING you want listed. Sounds like you may have started narrowing down but I suggest looking at/comparing as many outfitters as you can find. As each outfitter quickly responds (or not) look at responses and start reducing outfits.

This is daunting and prepare to get overwhelmed but after some time one outfit will stand out for you. At least it does for me. Send deposit, start getting gear, shoot guns, shots, then sit back and enjoy the wait.

I am very envious, a first safari is an amazing life altering, brain changing outstanding experience. Be prepared to start planning a return before you leave Africa.

PS, take your wife, spouse, children, parent or someone close who can share, SA and Limpopo is easy to get to, safe and offers an amazing hunt.

Enjoy the whole experience.

MB
Thanks Mark. I sincerely appreciate it. Very much looking forward to it.

@DAVE FREEBURN SAFARIS is someone I've been talking to. I've not hunted with him, but his communications have been great and I would hunt with him without hesitation. I suspect will as soon as I get break in my current schedule.

@LIMPOPO BIG GAME SAFARIS is a very well run outfit. Many on here have hunted with them.

@Limcroma Safaris is also well respected by many members here.

You have a ton of great choices, have a great time getting your hunt booked, it is part of the fun.

Thanks Mark. I sincerely appreciate it. Very much looking forward to it.
Your so lucky, you will understand more so after safari is over. Then depression sets in and the "I need to get back" circle commences.

MB

Looking at outfitters in limpopo area for my very 1st PG safari. I am looking into Tsala, Eland Safaris, Maartens Safaris for a 10 day safari to cover 8-10 species.

Any recommendations for me being a newbie? I've gone over the testimonials for each, all good. Spoken to each, all good. Just lost on whom I should choose and why? Lol From what im hearing from references, all 3 outfits only harvest quality trophies not just a mediocre specimen as that is what im looking for not the 1st thing we see of that makes sense.

Any and all feedback is very welcomed and sincerely appreciated as this decision is a very tough one...hands down.

Thanks everyone.

Where are you stuck?

Your so lucky, you will understand more so after safari is over. Then depression sets in and the "I need to get back" circle commences.

MB

I was just discussing this very thing at the store 20 minutes ago with a fellow who has been there once (I have been there once as well).

Last September I hunted with Moretla Safaris, Tyron and AnnaMarie did a great job. Week after next I am going to be hunting with Tsala Safaris. I agree with previous comments, you would benefit from making a list of animals wanted, then write down the prices for each outfitter!! Additionally, if you are arriving in the evening and need to spend the night near the airport, I have stayed at the Afton House many times, Elize does a wonderful job there. Around 250.00 gets you picked up, nights stay, gun permit, steak dinner and breakfast. Good luck!!!

My wife and I went with Tsala last September and we both had our best trip yet. Hope to be rebooking with them soon. Would be happy to answer questions.

Where are you stuck?
Thats the million dollar question as the Pricing is @ the same between them all. My question is, does once offer a better experience than the other? Is the property the difference? The hospitality? The experience in the PH? The heard size of the animals? I.e.: age and available shooters? That's what im at a crossroads with. Contacting each with these questions as well as since its my 1st experience its true to say, I don't know what to expect. Just wanting to ensure that its truly as we all long for "the experience of a lifetime" as a 1st experience.

do yourself a favor and look into intrepid safaris, you will not be disappointed.

Thats the million dollar question as the Pricing is @ the same between them all. My question is, does once offer a better experience than the other? Is the property the difference? The hospitality? The experience in the PH? The heard size of the animals? I.e.: age and available shooters? That's what im at a crossroads with. Contacting each with these questions as well as since its my 1st experience its true to say, I don't know what to expect. Just wanting to ensure that its truly as we all long for "the experience of a lifetime" as a 1st experience.
Hi, opening thread had 3/reputable Outfitters & you have already completed some sound Intel w/ chats to each + afew references. Personal note on reference Intel: its valuable, but limit take-aways ‘important to you’ not what was ‘important to them’.

AH members added more quality Operators to the list - that means, more research, time, questions, etc. Afew comments to ask yourself & maybe an Operator separates from the pack:

*Property? Do you have a strong preference to Free Range, High Fence, Combo? There can be allot of misunderstanding on High Fence so best to chat w/ Operator on use, size, species, etc.
*Hospitality? Does the Star Rating matter to your stay? Some hunters want a resort feel & others a hunting camp, only you know that. Rarely hear failures here & especially w/ the quality sponsors & operators on AH. An honest reference would be quick to grumble or AH members quick to PM.
*PH Experience. PH team is a reflection of the Owner/Operator & sour PH‘s have a short shelf-life in this business.
*Herd Size? For me, irrelevant - Operators are very conscientious to proper herd management but would be important: if you’re looking for a ‘very specific’ trophy and/or size?
*Mature Shooters? The Goal is always Maturity & selecting the Bull, Ram, etc. past peak breeding age. Your 8 - 10 trophy hit-list over 10-days is a robust endeavor - very doable yes, but you must trust the PH trophy call on-the-spot.

If you have a preference in quality/inches within afew species? As Ex: Impala @23”+ or Warthog @12”+, etc? You must stress this w/ PH on Day #1 & be willing to pass as the hunt progresses & go home without - fine, planning for the next trip!

If All Still Equal … Gut Instincts.

Happy Trails

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross