Lifetime bronze benefactor
Platinum supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Severely bruised middle finger. Okay I have a DR in 470 NE. Been practicing for two months and am getting settled in. My problem is every time I fire the front trigger it kicks back and kills my right middle finger I am holding the pistol grip with. Can anyone help me diagnose my problem please with a solution.

This is fairly easy Rare Breed.

You likely do not have a solid grip on the rifle. This allows the rifle to slide within your right hand, instead of your right hand firm grip on the wrist of the stock contributing to the recoil management.

If you were shooting a bolt rifle of similar recoil (e.g. .458 Lott) and if that rifle had a front swivel stud on the forearm, you would also likely cut the web of your left hand, which is quite painful too. (Note: this is why high recoil DG rifles must have the front swivel stud on the barrel rather than the stock...)

You can always, as a stopgap measure, put a rubber buffer on the rear of the trigger guard, but it will mitigate your handling error, rather than you correcting your handling error and not being punished by the rifle for it ;)

Sorry for the "tough love" answer, but this is an honest answer :)

1615157299527.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 10.19.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 10.19.57 AM.png
    945.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 10.19.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 10.19.58 AM.png
    591.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
This is fairly easy Rare Breed.

You likely do not have a solid grip on the rifle. This allows the rifle to slide within your right hand, instead of your right hand firm grip on the wrist of the stock contributing to the recoil management.

If you were shooting a bolt rifle of similar recoil (e.g. .458 Lott) and if that rifle had a front swivel stud on the forearm, you would also likely cut the web of your left hand. Which is why high recoil DG rifles must have the front swivel stud on the barrel rather than the stock...

You can always put a rubber buffer on the rear of the trigger guard, but it would mitigate your handling error, rather than you correcting your handling error and not being punished by the rifle for it ;)

Sorry for the "tough love" answer, but this is an honest answer :)

View attachment 392080

Thanks!!!

While training at range with big recoil rifles I tape a small piece of thin foam Kevlar inside a fingerless leather glove on the finger that takes the abuse behind the trigger guard. Additionally, I firmly grip the pistol grip more tightly than on lighter recoil rifles. This will take care of the problem. In the field I do not worry about it. Kindest Regards

Last edited:
Severely bruised middle finger. Okay I have a DR in 470 NE. Been practicing for two months and am getting settled in. My problem is every time I fire the front trigger it kicks back and kills my right middle finger I am holding the pistol grip with. Can anyone help me diagnose my problem please with a solution.
Same thing happened to me with my 470. I purchased some shooting gloves which has allowed me to grip the rifle much better and thus my middle finger is in much better shape after shooting.

Are you using shooting gloves? You must with a DR. As has been said you must maintain a firm grip as well.
I was shooting my .470 today. My trouble is neck pain and headaches if I shoot it too much.
Philip

Are you using shooting gloves? You must with a DR. As has been said you must maintain a firm grip as well.
I was shooting my .470 today. My trouble is neck pain and headaches if I shoot it too much.
Philip

What kind of shooting gloves do you use Philip? I have no issues with my big-bore rifles, but then again, I rarely fire more than 10 shots in a session. What I do have a problem with though is:
a) glove choice for cold weather range use that allow some use of the digits and,
b) gloves for handgun shooting, particularly 10mm Glock - after a couple of mags, my middle finger is all bashed up by the trigger guard. The gloves available in the local shooting stores are the very heavy and cumbersome “tactical” gloves that are just too thick for me - it seems that most shooters here are wannabe Rambos and except their gloves to save them from IEDs should they encounter one while punching holes in the paper.

What kind of shooting gloves do you use Philip? I have no issues with my big-bore rifles, but then again, I rarely fire more than 10 shots in a session. What I do have a problem with though is:
a) glove choice for cold weather range use that allow some use of the digits and,
b) gloves for handgun shooting, particularly 10mm Glock - after a couple of mags, my middle finger is all bashed up by the trigger guard. The gloves available in the local shooting stores are the very heavy and cumbersome “tactical” gloves that are just too thick for me - it seems that most shooters here are wannabe Rambos and except their gloves to save them from IEDs should they encounter one while punching holes in the paper.
I suggest thin leather shooting gloves. The ones made from lamb/goat skin are very thin. Look at Boyt Harness for shooting gloves.
Philip

All the above will alleviate the symptoms but I'm with Major Bonkers that the cause is a poor gun fit.

FN

Philip,
i have worked with many heavy recoil rifles and never had a bruised shoulder. Like you, after a hard day working uploads at the bench i have a stiff neck. At the bench I like thin leather glove with the already mentioned piece of foam glued inside the glove for the one abused finger. have been using a large number of heavy recoil rifles for decades with a wide variety of stocks.

I have that problem with the Merkel and Heym 88B stocks. No matter how carefully I place my hand and how tightly I hold the grip the geometry causes a painful impact. I do not have that problem with my Heym 89B's more open grip.. The side by side double barrel shot gunners have had the issue for years. The simple solution it to put one of the double barrel shot gun pads on the rifle. I believe NECG sells these and for me it totally solved the problem.
DSC01025.JPG

20200509_195253.jpg

I had the same issue with my 470. As others mentioned, the little rubber insert sold by NECG solves the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg