www.tokoloshesafaris.info
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International, Life Members Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
If anyone can give advice or help I would appreciate it.

I have two .404J #1 is a Rigby single square bridge long (not magnum action) #2 Is a .404J built on I believe a commercial Mauser (maybe military action) both have the same size magazine box 3 rds is the maximum that can be put in the magazine. I would like to be able to go to 5. Which ever rifle I re-do will have to be restocked, it will probably be Jefferies since it already has a ugly non-original stock.

Somewhere on another thread on this site is an engineering drawing for the feed stack of a 404J...you need to find that.

A 4 round is an achievable goal, a 5 round perch belly magazine custom made to hold 5 would easily cost as much as you paid for the rifle.

It may be possible to have a custom spring and follower that allows the existing stock to handle 4 rounds.

Can we see a photo of this “terrible” stock you keep referring too? Because I’ve seen terrible stocks become amazing stocks, usually for $3000 less than a new custom stock.

Remember, you’re in custom Mauser setups with all these scenarios, there is no stock that is drop in, or ready to go bottom metal to purchase for $500...everything you want to do has a giant price tag associated with it.

4 would be much easier, let all the vaalies come back from the coast and I can make some inquiries for you.

If you have making abilities Lon then this thread may allow for an extension or remake of your magazine to accomadate the extra cartridges.
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/proper-magazine-layout.35015/#post-366190
Thank you for the help, I will have to get someone to make me up the sheet metal. I have someone (a friend who is a local knife maker) he has the capabilities to make the box and then I want to experiment with how much depth I will need for 4 cartridges find out how it feeds. If I am satisfied then I will order a semi finished stock and go from there. Unfortunately my friend has cancer and is doing very little work at this time.

I will try to post a picture of the rifle. I removed about a half a kg from the roll over cheek piece, the fit is perfect now, but it is ugly!

Happy Holidays!

Can you not get a CZ 550 magazine box for a 404 Jeff ? Just thinking that might be close and just need a little fitting. Probably get the spring and follower too. Otherwise there is a guy here in Harare, I can get his number. You can whatsapp me on +263783172022 and I can get a number

Can you not get a CZ 550 magazine box for a 404 Jeff ? Just thinking that might be close and just need a little fitting. Probably get the spring and follower too. Otherwise there is a guy here in Harare, I can get his number. You can whatsapp me on +263783172022 and I can get a number

Not sure if a CZ bolt pattern is the same as a Mauser? If yes, then next stop is a custom stock. Remember, the stocks are deeper to handle more rounds, not just the bottom metal. With just the cz metal in a standard Mauser stock (if holes line up), is it enough to Squeeze in another round? Who knows?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 7.15.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 7.15.42 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 7.15.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 7.15.44 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 7.15.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 7.15.45 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 7.15.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 7.15.47 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 75
Nice actions on the NECG site, but $6500? I paid $3000 for a custom Granite Mountain for a .404J (basically a stretched G33/40).

Lon, contact Gert Odendaal (an AH member) he was doing something with 404 magazines a while back. Maybe he can help you or give you a lead to follow up on.

Ralph Badenhorst gunsmith in SA should be able to assist with a custom bottom metal and stock.

They are pretty clued up with CNC machines etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg