Need help identifying vintage scope bases on 1948 Model 70 300 H&H

redbarn

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI Life, NRA Life
Hunted
Masailand, Selous, Save Valley, Botswana, Capriva
Bought a non-collectors pre 64 ( non original stock pad, receiver tapped for scope mount, no readable serial number on bolt). It has some scope bases installed but I don't know what type. Hoping I can use them. Any one recognize these mounts?

Distance between mount holes is about .835 inches.

Thanks

20230213_110102 (1).jpg

Look like Leupold style to me

They do look like the vintage Redfields. Looks like the Redfield and Leopuld STD rings are interchangeable.

Because of age I would guess Redfield. Redfield or Leupold Rings should fit. Great mount.

I would say redfield but they usually have the name on them such as on this Super Grade .300H&H with period redfield base that’s marked just above serial #

D74FE0E7-E680-483F-8235-83CF96361EEE.jpeg

What I believe you have sir is an early set of Warn bases.

I had a Pre64 .375H&H once that had the same bases + rings.

Rings were a pain to mount a scope in; as they had regular flat head screws on top of the rings that are difficult to tension evenly without marring the screw heads because of their horizontal orientation …. Even with a proper hollow ground screw driver I still damaged the heads and had to order period replacement screws from a collector.

Hence why I believe your mount have more modern hex head screws.

old gun, newer bases. if you plan on keeping 'em, just get leupold rings and twist/tighten on! Is there no marking on the sides of the bases?? Typ the mfr stamp is there. I've seen redfield, leupold, burris and millet (all same style-all rings interchangeable.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!