Need Help Deciding on Next Safari Destination...

EGS-HQ

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Dallas Safari Club; Life Member, Boone and Crockett; Sponsor Member, National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) and Navy League of the US
My hunting buddy and I went on our first safari last year in S. Africa; Limpopo. We both had hopes of taking a big Kudu. Well, I did, he didn't. Mine measured 58 5/8"...

While we both left feeling quite pleased with our overall adventure, he understandably felt a bit unfulfilled. I'm certain it has happened thousands of times; on our way home, we sat in the J'burg airport planning our return.

While not as important as a Kudu, he is also interested in a Black Wildebeest, Springbok and to a lesser degree, Nyala and Eland. He is satisfied with his Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest and Blesbok, but would like to find a better Wart Hog and Impala.

As for me, my list is Gemsbok, Waterbuck, Black Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Springbok and to a lesser degree (on this trip, at least), Eland, Bushbuck, Lechwe and Nyala.

The quandary... where do we go if his #1 priority is a Kudu and mine is Gemsbok with Waterbuck a very close second? Can we find a place where we can both be successful on this next safari? My suggestion to him was Namibia.

Suggestions?

hi EGS

We have many PH'S on here that will provide you a great experience.

Are you thinking about returning with your earlier booking or are you looking for something different?

What countries would you consider? Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique or South Africa.

We have some from each of these countries posting on here that will provide yo a good to great experience.

Looking at your trophy wish list, it is a nice one, however it will be somewhat difficult to find all these trophies in one location.

The PH that i have went with have some of these trophies, however not all of them.

look up my prior hunting reviews in South Africa and Zimbabwe or PM me for additional information on my hunts

For Kudu and Gemsbok Namibia would be good and would be someplace different.

All that you've listed might be difficult in one place, at least without high fence if that matters to you.

A suggestion might be to focus on a couple of animals and take the rest of what the area offers. You might just find that there are animals you never knew you had interest in.

I went to Zim for my buff and dot a Grysbok as well. Now I'm half way to the tiny ten, which I didn't even know I cared about when I started the trip.

hi EGS
We have many PH'S on here that will provide you a great experience.
Are you thinking about returning with your earlier booking or are you looking for something different?
What countries would you consider? Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique or South Africa.
We have some from each of these countries posting on here that will provide yo a good to great experience.
Looking at your trophy wish list, it is a nice one, however it will be somewhat difficult to find all these trophies in one location.
The PH that i have went with have some of these trophies, however not all of them.
look up my prior hunting reviews in South Africa and Zimbabwe or PM me for additional information on my hunts

James,

Thanx for the reply...

To answer your questions, I am open to a new PH and any country that best suits our needs (wants?).

If I could hunt a trophy Gemsbok and he could hunt a trophy Kudu and the other trophies would fall into place as they presented themselves, as suggested by Royal27, I'm sure it would be agreeable to both of us.

I know the Nyala, Lechwe and Bushbuck are trophies that will probably require a third trip (dang it!), but put them in to help figure out our next trips. I am quite confident at some point we will both do a Cape Buffalo trip.

For Kudu and Gemsbok Namibia would be good and would be someplace different.

All that you've listed might be difficult in one place, at least without high fence if that matters to you.

A suggestion might be to focus on a couple of animals and take the rest of what the area offers. You might just find that there are animals you never knew you had interest in.

I went to Zim for my buff and dot a Grysbok as well. Now I'm half way to the tiny ten, which I didn't even know I cared about when I started the trip.

Thanx for the reply...

Great suggestion to pick a couple of priorities and see what else presents itself. As for high fence, I would prefer to avoid it unless its a huge ranch/concession (50K acres+).

If I could hunt a trophy Gemsbok and he could hunt a trophy Kudu and the other trophies would fall into place as they presented themselves, as suggested by Royal27, I'm sure it would be agreeable to both of us.

I know the Nyala, Lechwe and Bushbuck are trophies that will probably require a third trip (dang it!), .............

No need for a third hunt.
Split your hunt, jump on a plane.

You can do the Namibia thing for the first "needs"and head into RSA for the second half and chase Nyala, Lechwe and Bushbuck.

:)

No need for a third hunt.
Split your hunt, jump on a plane.

You can do the Namibia thing for the first "needs"and head into RSA for the second half and chase Nyala, Lechwe and Bushbuck.

:)

Brickburn,

Well, aren't you the s**t disturber! Stay for a month! My wife would have a fit or require a looooong trip to Europe to even the score... LOL!

Seriously, how would you suggest organizing that trip? One PH in different locations or two PH's?

Brickburn,

Well, aren't you the s**t disturber! Stay for a month! My wife would have a fit or require a looooong trip to Europe to even the score... LOL!

Seriously, how would you suggest organizing that trip? One PH in different locations or two PH's?

I go and hunt with a bunch of different people PH and Outfitters in areas I want to chase particular species.
It saves you money on airfare.

I do it like this:

2011 - 9 weeks
Otavi, Namibia
Vaalwater, RSA
Pongola, RSA
Northern Cape, RSA

2013 7 weeks
First you go here,

http://www.africahunting.com/thread...ondjahe-hunting-safaris-namibia.11161/page-10

Then follow it up here
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/botswana-two-weeks-in-the-kalahari-kanana-safaris.17037/

Then you go back to South Africa to KZN and hunt Red Duiker, Hyena, Nyala, etc, etc.
Then you head off into the Mountains of the Eastern Cape and chase Vaalies for another week.

2015 - 4 weeks (this particular pattern needs to shift into the opposite direction next trip)
http://www.africahunting.com/thread...f-to-southern-africa-kmg-tms-paw-print.23265/

I took my wife along and made sure she got to hang by the Ocean.
South Africa has a nice long coast line.
These pictures are worth an awful lot of time hunting! :D

P1000399.jpg
IMG_3722.jpg

IMG_5048.jpeg

This one is worth more than all the rest put together.
IMG_5105.jpeg

By the way, they have hunting in Europe!!! :A Stirring: :A Shit:

I go and hunt with a bunch of different people PH and Outfitters in areas I want to chase particular species.

I do it like this:

2011 - 9 weeks
Otavi, Namibia
Vaalwater, RSA
Pongola, RSA
Northern Cape, RSA

2013 7 weeks
First you go here,

http://www.africahunting.com/thread...ondjahe-hunting-safaris-namibia.11161/page-10

Then follow it up here
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/botswana-two-weeks-in-the-kalahari-kanana-safaris.17037/

Then you go back to South Africa to KZN and hunt Red Duiker, Hyena, Nyala, etc, etc.
Then you head off into the Mountains of the Eastern Cape and chase Vaalies for another week.

2015 - 4 weeks (this particular pattern needs to shift into the opposite direction next trip)
http://www.africahunting.com/thread...f-to-southern-africa-kmg-tms-paw-print.23265/

View attachment 52069 View attachment 52070

View attachment 52071

View attachment 52072

There you go. Nothing to it.

Actually Brickburn has the perfect solution. Hunt a week or 10 days in 2 different areas. Probably 2 different PH's, especially if you do 2 different countries. Brickburn has a pretty good handle on doing just that. I think he hunted , what was it 4 different areas his last trip? Namibia makes sense and then perhaps back to RSA. Lots of great choices. Bruce

The only thing I'm worried about hunting two different countries is the extra shipping bill. Maybe @BRICKBURN can shed some light on how he does it, the costs involved...etc

My hunting buddy and I went on our first safari last year in S. Africa; Limpopo. We both had hopes of taking a big Kudu. Well, I did, he didn't. Mine measured 58 5/8"...

While we both left feeling quite pleased with our overall adventure, he understandably felt a bit unfulfilled. I'm certain it has happened thousands of times; on our way home, we sat in the J'burg airport planning our return.

While not as important as a Kudu, he is also interested in a Black Wildebeest, Springbok and to a lesser degree, Nyala and Eland. He is satisfied with his Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest and Blesbok, but would like to find a better Wart Hog and Impala.

As for me, my list is Gemsbok, Waterbuck, Black Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Springbok and to a lesser degree (on this trip, at least), Eland, Bushbuck, Lechwe and Nyala.

The quandary... where do we go if his #1 priority is a Kudu and mine is Gemsbok with Waterbuck a very close second? Can we find a place where we can both be successful on this next safari? My suggestion to him was Namibia.

Suggestions?

EGS,

It's about 10:30 here in Phoenix and I have to get up in about 6 hours to go help a buddy on his elk hunt. I can put something together for you where you could get the Nyala in Kwa Zulu Natal as well as Bushbuck, Common Reedbuck and with one travel day make it to good Kudu, Gemsbok, Black Wildebeest and Red Hartebeest area.

If you would like to discuss further, please shoot me a text or call my cell number that is in my signature. Tomorrow will be a busy day but there should be time midday or in the evening to talk.

I do it like this:

2011 - 9 weeks
Otavi, Namibia
Vaalwater, RSA
Pongola, RSA
Northern Cape, RSA

2013 7 weeks
First you go here,

Then follow it up here

View attachment 52069 View attachment 52070

View attachment 52071

This one is worth more than all the rest put together.
View attachment 52072

Brickburn...

I think you are on to something. I may not spend the same amount of time as you did, but the idea may be the solution. BTW, nice pix! And yes, there is hunting in Europe! I have stalking Red Stag in Scotland and Chamois, Mountain Red Stag and Russian Boar in Austria on the list for '18 or '19. But, Africa in '17 is my first concern.

Keep stirring! :ROFLMAO:

EGS,

It's about 10:30 here in Phoenix and I have to get up in about 6 hours to go help a buddy on his elk hunt. I can put something together for you where you could get the Nyala in Kwa Zulu Natal as well as Bushbuck, Common Reedbuck and with one travel day make it to good Kudu, Gemsbok, Black Wildebeest and Red Hartebeest area.

If you would like to discuss further, please shoot me a text or call my cell number that is in my signature. Tomorrow will be a busy day but there should be time midday or in the evening to talk.

Hey Phil!

Good to hear from you. The last we spoke was at last year's "Get Together" dinner at the DSC convention. I met a PH from Hartzview and he and I discussed the Northwest Province.

I can't make it this year as I will be in Brazil, but my hunting buddy is trying to make it if he can get away. He is an airport K9 cop and there is a tightened security level now which keeps him on duty more often.

Will you be there?

Hey Phil!

Good to hear from you. The last we spoke was at last year's "Get Together" dinner at the DSC convention. I met a PH from Hartzview and he and I discussed the Northwest Province.

I can't make it this year as I will be in Brazil, but my hunting buddy is trying to make it if he can get away. He is an airport K9 cop and there is a tightened security level now which keeps him on duty more often.

Will you be there?

Yep we will be there.

The only thing I'm worried about hunting two different countries is the extra shipping bill. Maybe @BRICKBURN can shed some light on how he does it, the costs involved...etc

This is a serious fact that needs to be addressed.
Shippers do not like to cut into their profits on the international portion of the shipping invoice.
ie. Ship from Maun to JNB. vs Maun to LAX
I have experienced resistance no matter what country.
They all want to ship it to you and make more money.

Also, you have to meet import requirements twice if they are being repacked in the intermediary country.
ie. Ship from Namibia to RSA to another packing company. Import docs, inspection, etc.
Repacked RSA to your home. Import docs, etc.
With this extra cost it may just be simple for smaller shipments just to go direct.

I have shipped trophies from the separate countries twice and once sent them on to RSA to be mounted and combined (PIA because of shipper resistance).

In Canada we can combine hunters trophies without issues. In the US I don't think they let you do this anymore.

Do the math and figure out if it is worth it. I like to hunt in various places where the game is indigenous to the area. With this comes a cost! I accept that.

Hope that helps.

Brickburn...

I think you are on to something. I may not spend the same amount of time as you did, but the idea may be the solution. BTW, nice pix! And yes, there is hunting in Europe! I have stalking Red Stag in Scotland and Chamois, Mountain Red Stag and Russian Boar in Austria on the list for '18 or '19. But, Africa in '17 is my first concern.

Keep stirring! :ROFLMAO:

There is always a solution.
"Let's make a plan!" The great African saying about creating a solution.

Actually Brickburn has the perfect solution. .......... I think he hunted , what was it 4 different areas his last trip? .......

Always Multiple areas. Actually I think it was 7 last adventure, including hanging with friends.

Multiple PH's.
I have had everything from rank rookies (first clients to long in the tooth veterans)

It all requires you to do more research and ensure that you are getting what you want form your hunts.
Well worth the effort from my side.

As mentioned there are many options I would sujest if funds are available to look at maby getting a guy with his own private plane and travel to different hunting areas and see more of the country you are hunting in just remember that if you go that rout to get a pH that you can get along with for you are going to spend a lot of time together

And go for it sometimes it seems a bit scary but in the end a hunting trip is always worth it meeting new people and seeing new places is always interesting

If you are interested in something like this I can make it happen pm me for more details

Keep well
Ryno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graciehayward01

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg