Need a little help from a 404 Jeffery owner

Shawn.54

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
I just started a Mauser 98 project and I need a little help.
I have been working with this action and decided to make a 404 Jeffery on it. Problem is it takes a lot of action work to make it fit.
And not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars setting up to reload or $100 for a box of ammo to beat bend and scratch up I was wondering if anyone had a couple to three pieces of brass that was at the end of its usefulness for reloading. I hate to use new cartridges but if I could get a couple with no powder or primer. I
Will pay for brass bullets and shipping. Also anyone who has done this please chime in.

Hope I started this thread in the right place.
Thanks
Shawn

I just started a Mauser 98 project and I need a little help.
I have been working with this action and decided to make a 404 Jeffery on it. Problem is it takes a lot of action work to make it fit.
And not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars setting up to reload or $100 for a box of ammo to beat bend and scratch up I was wondering if anyone had a couple to three pieces of brass that was at the end of its usefulness for reloading. I hate to use new cartridges but if I could get a couple with no powder or primer. I
Will pay for brass bullets and shipping. Also anyone who has done this please chime in.

Hope I started this thread in the right place.
Thanks
Shawn

Good to hear that you settled on the 404J Shawn.

It would have been easier to go with the 416 Ruger but the challenge is what got me and a few PMs urging me towards Jeff. I have time and access to machines so I guess I'll give it a go. Won't cost much until I have to get a barrel. If it works out my have to send it to Africa with someone who can afford to it's just a dream for me. Thanks for the encouragement. Since I will probably only be using it for deer,bear,and ground hogs and I like their bullets I called GS Custom and they are sending me a couple of their 320gr that I will put them in the brass I will be receiving from Bnc 04. They said it was not good material but shape would be correct.
Have a great day
Shawn

Excellent caliber choice Shaun. What action are you making use of? Shaun, Hornady do sell excellent 404 Jeffery brass as well .I bought Hornady and up to date it really are great quality brass and will not brake the bank...Shaun, I do cast bullets for my 404 Jeffery, it really shoots well..

I is a Santa Barbara I have tested it on the ring and it's 26 Rockwell C and I will get new brass after I get magazine box and feed figured out now I'm making a barrel stub to put a false chamber in to just get feed and mag box working don't want to get a barrel and not have feeding working
Shawn

Shawn, it is important to open the action up to the back of the action. You need to shorten the ejector as well. There really are minute work needed on the feeding ramps..be careful not to open up the feeding ramps too much..the most important part is on the insides of the bottom of the action for the rounds to press against..You will not need to remove metal from the feeding ramp...just polish it ...make sure you have a strong magazine spring used in magnum caliber rifles..(y) Lengthening the magazine plate will assist in feeding as well..you need to enlarge the magazine box to fit the length of a 404 Jeffery round ...this is the most important part of making a Mauser 98 action feed..

Last edited:
Use a dremel tool with a long round straight bit to open the left bottom side of the action to the back of the action ..it will run taper along the left side to the front of the feeding ramp...this ensure the round to wedge snugly and stay there when you really cycle the bolt at high speed..you need to cycle the bolt by really forcefully pull back the bolt, then slam it close without the round ejecting from the magazine...this motion really is extremely fast..if while doing this and the round pops out , the feeding is not up to standard to be used as a dangerous game rifle....plains game and normal hunting will be the only kind of hunting you can do with the rifle....(y)

Dummy round always is a big advantage to have when you want to make your 404 Jeffery feed..you really do not want to use live rounds..then you need to remove the firing pin from the bolt...(y)

If you look at gunsmithing I have started a thread with pictures and updates. I built a new box around old one then cut old one out. This is a project I'm going to take my time and try to get it right.
Keep the tips coming.
Shawn

Excellent Shaun, I will take some photos from the inside of an action where the procedures has been done and send it to you to use as cross references...will upload a video of cycling a 404 Jeffery rifle at high speed to show how good it feeds....as mentioned before, when converting a rifle action to a dangerous game caliber it really is imperative for this conversion to cycle flawlessly , if not , interesting things can happen to you when a buffalo wants to drive home the issue of you "owning him some money" ...:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I can check to see if I have some Brass and I'm getting some bulk 404 lead I could spare (can't give up those High priced Swifts)

Does anyone here have a 98 converted to handle the 404J? I could us a few pics of feed ramps. My action seems like someone has modified them already hope its not done wrong.
Shawn.

Shaun, add some photos of the feeding rails /underside of your action ....

Gert here are my pics can't seem to get good contrast.

IMG_0715.JPG
IMG_0716.JPG
IMG_0717.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
How are you doing on your search for Brass or Bullets,,don't have any brass but can spare some bullets

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.