Need a little help from a 404 Jeffery owner

PM me Monday night if you still need some .404 J brass. I will be able to send you some, either Nosler or Hornady. Will be out of town until then. No bullets though.

I want to thank you all for the help a better group of people would be hard to find
Shawn

Well I made some progress received some brass and GS Custom bullets made me a couple of dummy bullets to work on setting up feeding in action made a barrel stub with a bore the size of largest diameter of case.
Lengthened the magazine to 3.545 opened bolt face to accept 404J head and ground extracter claw to fit then started on feeding issues.
Right side feed with just a little sticky feeling left side had major issues with a little grinding the left side now feeds wonderfully almost jumps from mag into bolt face with zero drag.
So with a feeling of invincibility I decided to tackle the right side feeding slight sticky feeling.
Oops I ground a little to much so I have to do a little tig welding today good thing is I know exactly where I messed up and I can be back on track easily I hope.
Shawn

Waiting to see the finished product

Sounds like the build is coming along nicely.

Ran into two problems last night that have me stumped.
First is that when feeding the rounds out of the magazine they are feeding great now except the last one out will not push up in the rear all the time it stays down just enough that the bolt rides over it instead of catching it. I thought maybe I needed to grind a little off the follower on the angle that runs its length to allow for larger diameter cases but wanted another opinion.
Second issue is extracter claw seams to have a lot of ware and play on the guide that rides in the slot behind locking lug it can be pushed forward about .015-.02 letting it grip get loose on case rim the two other Mauser actions I have don't seem to have this play any ideas?
Shawn

If the extractor has fore/aft movement you might try adding a little metal to the back of the notch that is held by the ring, so as to limit its forward movement. Before I removed metal from the follower I'd put a shim in the bottom of the magazine well to raise the bottom of the spring, to see if the problem was the spring reaching the end of its push.

It may also be a weak spring that would be okay for the lighter weight of the standard cartridge but is not quite up to the extra weight of the 404 cartridge.

I did a little tweaking of the claw and put a magazine spring out of another action I have and things got a lot better if I could figure out how to post a video I would show you how it feeds high speed.
Shawn

Save the video to YouTube or similar then save the URL click the little film icon next to the picture icon in the menu of the post reply box and paste the URL in.

You could also try the upload file option at the bottom of the post reply message box.

Shawn.54, if the video was your action, then it looks like your previous issues with it are over.

I need to order a new mag spring yet that was a better old one out of another rifle but I think it deserves a new one. I adjusted the extracter claw with some gentle strokes of a ball peen hammer and a punch.
My grandfather always said if it can't be fixed with a hammer it an electrical problem.
So far so good I have to start saving for a barrel now.
Shawn

Like like like!!!

Nice Shawn, what kind and length barrel are you thinking about

PAC-NOR 26" #5 contour would be .700 at muzzle I think #4 would be little thin at .650.
Shawn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!