NECG Peep and Partridge

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Looking at puting one of these on one if not both of my CZ rifles for an upcoming safari. I love shooting irons and I plan to try to do some hunting with them on this trip. I will of course have a scope on hand as well but I really want to kill my buffalo with iron sights. Is there a big benefit to the beads over the Partridge sight. What's your general thoughts on these aperture sights. The express sights on my 375 are on but the 458 is a little off and I was thinking about trying these.

a bead is your friend for this type of shooting.
not too small.
apertures are good in that you need not shift focus from front to rear all the time, which is a necessity with express sights.
older eyes just can't do this.
most express rear sights are too far back, chasing accuracy when they should be chasing speed.
the disadvantage of a peep is that it might have a drop of water in it just as you need it.
the scope is the best, fastest, and most reliable of all.
bruce.

a bead is your friend for this type of shooting.
not too small.
apertures are good in that you need not shift focus from front to rear all the time, which is a necessity with express sights.
older eyes just can't do this.
most express rear sights are too far back, chasing accuracy when they should be chasing speed.
the disadvantage of a peep is that it might have a drop of water in it just as you need it.
the scope is the best, fastest, and most reliable of all.
bruce.

Agree with most of what you say Bruce. however a peep is far more reliable than a scope, no question in my mind and experience. Scopes to my young and old eyes are as fast or slower than peeps except in low light or a reflex type like Aimpoint. I find the reflex sights to be the fastest of all sights.

This is just my experience and I think it is individual eye ability that determines what works best for people if they have the knowledge on how to use each type of sight.

I am lucky to have really good eyesight so I think that will work in my favor. I had a great deal of practice with and peep sights in the army. My idea behind this was that if i wanted to hunt with irons that the peep would give me a greater degree of precision. I have 18 months to figure it out. A set of the NECG sights is about $130 for the peep and Partridge. Once I get it I can adjust the Partridge with a file if necesary then I can at least take a measurement and get the correct height bead if I want to go to a bead sight.

With a peep sight I find if the front sight is a bead then I cover the point of aim with the bead. If the front sight is a blade type then I hold the top of the blade at the 6 O'clock of the point of aim if this makes sense.

I prefer the 6 o'clock hold myself I find it gives you a bit more precision for slight adjustments and I guess I just like being able to see where I'm hitting. I sight my handguns the same way

I prefer bead up front. Shoot with both eyes open.

I have used those peeps on CZ and Ruger rifles. Quality made product and paired with a bead sight they are very fast and accurate.

I agree with IVW the big white bead (3/32)is fast. I also use NECG rear app of .215. for lots of light and ease of securing a fast front sight pic.

I like ghost ring aperture sight with a red fiber optic bead front.
Very fast, I'm good to 75 yards in any light.Trijicon makes the best grade fiber optic material and the ones from NECG are good too.

With my old eyes much better than classic shallow V rear.
I just can't focus on that setup any more.

I have NECG Irons (aperture) on my 416 Rigby and both of my 404 Jeffery(s). All three of these rifles wear low powered scopes and QD rings. I'm happy with the groups I get using irons on the range, but for quick shooting in the bush a low powered scope with a lighted reticle is hard to beat. Uncle Sam taught lots of us how to use irons & old habits die hard.

If you are set on using irons to hunt with I would recommend the NECG peep with a large front bead. IMHO the partridge front sight is for precision shooting while the bead is for fast close-range work. This the reason standard shotguns barrels have beads and slug barrels have partridge sites.

I have both on 2 different rifles. If I was shooting over 100 yards, I like the peep and smaller bead. I have that setup as a back up irons on a travel deer/elk gun.

On my 458 Lott, I went with 2 leaf express rear and big white bead front. I prefer this to an optic, but that is just me and my boomer. I hate stuff near my eyes on a boomer.

All sights are NECG.

I have long been an advocate for the large aperture and partridge front sight and have used them to take a number of aniamls but not DG however there is the light issue and for that reason a scope with magnification appropriate for the situation is prefered, but they are a superb backup and in particular the likes of the Talley aperture the situates in the rear scope base is a very good option.

There is a definite difference in how various people aim with front sights. Personally, I would NEVER use the centre of a bead sight to aim at my target. I covers too much of the target for me. Others prefer this method. I suspect that using the centre of a bead to aim is somewhat faster than the alternative, using the top of a bead or patridge post, but it is certainly less precise. If you prefer to use a bead, and centre hold, by all means do so. it has worked for many, but accuracy is limited to close range shots. But If you prefer precision, along with "adequate" speed of aiming, I suggest you choose a patridge post in combination with a large aperture. Aiming point is at the top edge of the post. It helps a lot if the post is faced with brass or some other reflective material, and angled away from the shooter, to reflect overhead light.

Get the NECG peep and a Merit adjustable aperture. They adjust from .022 to .156. Then put a fiber optic up front.

patridge,,, not partridge....

I enjoy shooting irons but make sure your scope works best first.

I have rifles with iron sights and optics, and rifles with only optics. But no rifles with only iron sights.

Scrummy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg