Navy Arms Mark IV Kodiak 45-70 24 SxS Double Rifle

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
found one of these for sale and its got me curious, are these rifles any good or just unregulated junk?

looks like its made by Pedersoli which usually makes "ok" firearms but im not sure about a double. any one have any experience with these guns?

thanks
-matt

It is unregulated. Their solution was to offer two flip-up rear sights, one for each barrel.

I really cannot speak to the overall quality of the firearm.

The very early ones had twin sights. Not for many years though. They are fairly well set by jigs.
I have one with 12 ga barrels also. It's a factory oddity.

I think the safe assumption is to follow the maxim "you get what you pay for". The market for new will, in an absolute sense, define quality as a function of cost. The only real deals, such as they are, are on the used market. And, they are few and far between. I once had the opportunity to acquire a pre-war Purdey 12 bore, best-quality SxS for $10,000. Some years back, I knew of a guy who bought a Holland & Holland 500/465 (again, best quality) at an estate sale in Minneapolis for around $9,000. The widow (or whoever set the price) obviously had no idea as to its worth. These things happen, but they are extremely rare. Generally a "good price" has more to do with some aspect of undesirablility - for instance, the Purdey rifle I posted, from Lewis Drake (whom you can be damn sure knows the true value of the listing). Were that rifle in another caliber, something more desirable, the price would easily double.

The Kodiaks are a good value for new members of the DR community that don't want to spend a ransom for a rifle. My first was a 9.3X74R that would place them a barrels width apart at 50 yds. It was barrel heavy but deadly with iron sights. It's since migrated to Fla. to another member of here that has a Kodiak collection of each of the calibers offered.

I have the 143rd one off the manufacture's line designed and imported by Trail Guns Armory of League City, Texas. It had the two flip-up sights but printed two shots from each barrel in a composite group of both barrels in 2 inches at 100 yds with my hand loads that were loaded for a Ruger No1 45-70 with 400 gr Hornady soft points. The group using only one of the sights.
This rifle has since been re-chambered to 458 RCBS a wild cat designed by Fred Huntington! It still shoots the same as it did with the 45-70.
The rifle is a replica of the 1868 Colt double rifle and is quite well made and my smith tried to get me to go ahead and chamber it to 458 Win Mag.
I'm thinking of getting Aaron Little to make me a set of barrels for it chambered for 375 H&H flanged mag with a lot thinner barrels for a little better balance.
I'm not saying all these rifles will be that well regulated, but mine was fine. I know of two that have been re-chambered to 450NE 3.25 in, and one to 450NE No2 that worked well.
...............................................Mac

I'm in the process of picking one up in 9.3x74r. Just got a few more pennies to collect before then

I still have not fired mine :( finding .45-70 stuff up here is like applying for a job as a frog shearer.

Thinking i might stick with the pedersoli, it's a couple grand cheaper and will fullfil that spots in my gun cabinet until i can get a proper double in 470 or bigger

Great idea for pig hunting....DG double it aint....

Yah, call me crazy, but I'd druther face a pissed off anything on dry land with my Marlin full of 430 gr@1800 fps than two shots of .35 Whelan. No offense meant, Bob.

But wait! Let me process this. You didn't buy the Chapuis for me? My birthday is coming you know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg