Navy Arms Mark IV Kodiak 45-70 24 SxS Double Rifle

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
found one of these for sale and its got me curious, are these rifles any good or just unregulated junk?

looks like its made by Pedersoli which usually makes "ok" firearms but im not sure about a double. any one have any experience with these guns?

thanks
-matt

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
It is unregulated. Their solution was to offer two flip-up rear sights, one for each barrel.

I really cannot speak to the overall quality of the firearm.

AkMike

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA-Life ASSRA DRSS
The very early ones had twin sights. Not for many years though. They are fairly well set by jigs.
I have one with 12 ga barrels also. It's a factory oddity.

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I think the safe assumption is to follow the maxim "you get what you pay for". The market for new will, in an absolute sense, define quality as a function of cost. The only real deals, such as they are, are on the used market. And, they are few and far between. I once had the opportunity to acquire a pre-war Purdey 12 bore, best-quality SxS for $10,000. Some years back, I knew of a guy who bought a Holland & Holland 500/465 (again, best quality) at an estate sale in Minneapolis for around $9,000. The widow (or whoever set the price) obviously had no idea as to its worth. These things happen, but they are extremely rare. Generally a "good price" has more to do with some aspect of undesirablility - for instance, the Purdey rifle I posted, from Lewis Drake (whom you can be damn sure knows the true value of the listing). Were that rifle in another caliber, something more desirable, the price would easily double.

AkMike

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA-Life ASSRA DRSS
The Kodiaks are a good value for new members of the DR community that don't want to spend a ransom for a rifle. My first was a 9.3X74R that would place them a barrels width apart at 50 yds. It was barrel heavy but deadly with iron sights. It's since migrated to Fla. to another member of here that has a Kodiak collection of each of the calibers offered.

DUGABOY1

Contributor
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
Double Rifle Shooter's Society, Life NAHC, NRA,SCI
Hunted
Us, Canada,Zambia, Zimbabwe, South America
I have the 143rd one off the manufacture's line designed and imported by Trail Guns Armory of League City, Texas. It had the two flip-up sights but printed two shots from each barrel in a composite group of both barrels in 2 inches at 100 yds with my hand loads that were loaded for a Ruger No1 45-70 with 400 gr Hornady soft points. The group using only one of the sights.
This rifle has since been re-chambered to 458 RCBS a wild cat designed by Fred Huntington! It still shoots the same as it did with the 45-70.
The rifle is a replica of the 1868 Colt double rifle and is quite well made and my smith tried to get me to go ahead and chamber it to 458 Win Mag.
I'm thinking of getting Aaron Little to make me a set of barrels for it chambered for 375 H&H flanged mag with a lot thinner barrels for a little better balance.
I'm not saying all these rifles will be that well regulated, but mine was fine. I know of two that have been re-chambered to 450NE 3.25 in, and one to 450NE No2 that worked well.
...............................................Mac

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaotiancang2

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rob404 wrote on Newboomer's profile.
I,d like to buy some pistol primers if they available,thanks
Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!