Nate Bishop Custom 416 Rigby - Info wtd about obscure this Maker

Hello CTDolan,

Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't sure how much metal work Nate did. I've been told he was as skilled with metal, as he was with wood.

Hello Rob44,

Thanks for the reply.

See the complete paragraph a few posts back. ( under the target pictures )
Bishop Stocks were very Popular back in the Day and were more Up Scale, heres my 7mm Rem on a 1941 Mauser Action sporting a Bishop Stock
P1000836.JPG
P1000897.JPG

Hello Rob44.

Thanks for the reply.

Just to be sure, Nate Bishop had nothing to do with the Bishop Stock Company of the 60's, 70's, and 80's. The Bishop familly Company was sold in the 50's and the new owners kept the name for trademark purposes.

I have seen many stocks like your Robb44. They are nice but buckstix's is a masterpiece, a piece of art.

I have seen many stocks like your Robb44. They are nice but buckstix's is a masterpiece, a piece of art.
No Doubt

The beauty of the M98 resides in its perfection. It has been emulated, countless times, but never surpassed.

Hello CTDolan,

Thanks for the reply.

I was once asked why the m98 has not been improved upon in over 100 years.

I answered; "no need".

congrats on a stunning rifle .

Hello CTDolan,

Thanks for the reply.

I was once asked why the m98 has not been improved upon in over 100 years.

I answered; "no need".

True, true, true. The only "improvements" which have occurred have been for the sake of economy. Some argue that moving the ejector, such that the left lug doesn't need to be split, is an improvement (citing improved strength), but I disagree (as the original is plenty strong when made well and of appropriate materials heat treated in an appropriate manner).

Hello CTDolan,

Thanks for the reply.

Not to repeat myself, but ........ "no need".

Buckstix, I am envious. You have shown us several fine rifles from your collection and I am sure you have more. This one from Nate Bishop is exceptional. By the way, if you ever want to sell that Custom African Express you picked up from Cabelas, please let me know!

Hello Custom.

Thanks for the reply.

You mean this one? Would you happen to have a 404 Jeffery to trade?

416-jpg.24597

Attachments

• 416.jpg
    416.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that's the one buckstix. Beautiful gun. I don't have a 404J at the moment but I have one being built on a M70 donor rifle in 300 RUM. Too soon to trade it, though. Hope to have it finished next month. See my thread in this forum under "Possible 404 Jeffery project". I am planning to take it to Africa in 2017 for a Buffalo safari if all works out.

that's cool

I was given a Sako AV 7MM Rem Mag with a custom stock made by Nate Bishop as a Christmas gift for my 1988 Christmas. Reading through the above entries, I have my doubts that it is his now after reading this. Did the company who took over the company continue signing his Name in the same location...under barrel? Mine is signed Nate Bishop, followed by 3/87
Gorgeous rifle stock mated to a gorgeous rifle!

Hello Webphut,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you show a few pictures of the stock?

The rifle is at the gunsmith currently. The stock was free floated and pillar since being given to me back then, but I did snap a photo of his signature and date before my father performed the work. LOL, I was just 12 years old wanting to kill dear. What did I know about custom rifle stocks. Anyhow once I get it back I will post some photos and the photo of his signature and date.

Looking through the pictures on the entries sure show a lot of similarities. My stock is made from exotic wood from europe though, but all the other details sure shows a lot of familiar details.

Here's the photo I have right now, but I'll post more once I get the rifle back.

IMG_0443.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I'd like to see photos of the rifle - the hand writing of the signature in your stock, looks very similar the signature on my stock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg