Reaction score
Website
www.buckstix.com
Media
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
US - CANADA
Nate Bishop Custom 416 Rigby - Info wtd about obscure this Maker.

Hello All,

Every so often an Amazing Custom Rifle comes along. Here is one. This rifle was talked about on another forum about 3 or 4 years ago. I have been following it for about that long, and I finally snagged it into my collection of Classic Customs. (Incidentally, I love the 416 caliber and now have 9 of them; 6 Rigbys, a 416 Taylor, a 416 MRE, and a 416 Rem Mag. )

My mission with this posting is two-fold - First, share the details of this marvelous custom rifle with you forum members, and tell what I know of its builder, Nate Bishop. And second, try to find if someone has any additional information about this Nate Bishop.

When I first saw this rifle it was advertised as an Oberndorf Square Bridge Mauser in 416 Rigby cal. However, the unique serial number and proof mark stamping identified that this rifle started its life as a Military 1935 Chilean Mauser Carbine. It was no different than any other of the thousands made for Military Service. Its exact History is unknown - just another Oberndorf made Military Mauser that was a WWII bring-back.

It originally looked like this:

416forun4.jpg

In 1987, this common Military rifle, was transformed into a Custom Safari Rifle in 416 Rigby Cal. by Nate Bishop, a Master Gunmaker from Albuquerque, NM, . Nate was a self taught Master. He told others he was inspired by the famed stock-maker, Leonard Mews.

Nate Bishop was a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild (ACGG) dates unknown. He built this rifle for the ACGG Show that was held in March, 1987. Nate signed and marked this stock as such in he barrel channel. It is not known if he was a member of the Guild at that time, building this rifle to show his skill, or if he was attempting to be accepted into the Guild by, building this rifle to show his skill.

It is amazing that this common Military Mauser Carbine, with its standard length action, could be so specially modified to take the "Super-Long" 416 Rigby cartridge. For the most part, all rifles in 416 Rigby caliber require "Magnum" length actions. This is not a "stretched and re-welded" action. Rather, this sleek beauty is Masterfully modified with custom bottom metal to encompass the cartridge. It tips the scales at a mere 8 pounds 12 ounces.

Interestingly, Harry Selby's original 416 Rigby was also built on a standard length Military Mauser action by Rigby, and perhaps Nate has this in mind when he built this rifle.

Nate often commented that this rifle was the "Best Quality" Custom Rifle that he had ever built. It was also one of his last.

In researching Nate Bishop, I have found he wrote articles on Custom Stock Making and Custom Gun Building in Guns Magazine from 1956 - 1962. He also wrote in Gun Digest in 1961 and 1969. He worked mostly with "Big Bore" Safari rifles and 416 Rigby was his favorite caliber.

Elmer Keith had several Custom Big-Bore Rifles that were built for him by Nate, and some that were re-stocked for him, by Nate. Keith's "Gun Notes" in Guns Magazine of the 50's and 60's often commented as such giving Nate high praise.

If you know any details about Nate Bishop, or other rifles that Nate has built or stocked, please jump in and let us know.

The following photos show Nate's skill - with dozens of special nuances that he incorporated into this rifle.

416forun1.jpg

416forun2.jpg

416forun3.jpg

Attachments

• 416forun3.jpg
    416forun3.jpg
    701.2 KB · Views: 255
  • 416forun2.jpg
    416forun2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 371
  • 416forun1.jpg
    416forun1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 320
Last edited by a moderator:
One exceptional gun!

Hello All,

Thanks for the reply.

As I continued to examine all the details of this rifle, I found it to be totally "unfired" since its customization and conversion to 416 Rigby caliber back in 1987. Given that fact, and since I wanted to shoot the rifle, my biggest concern was the installation of the iron sites. It didn't look like they had ever been adjusted to "zero-in" the rifle. In fact, it appeared that both the front and rear sites were simply centered on the top of the barrel. They looked good, but would the work?

Well, I had a chance to test fire the rifle today. I used relatively light loads because the rifle is a bit on the light side at 8-3/4 pounds, and I didn't want to pound it, or me, un-necessarily. I just wanted to have some fun shooting it.

My concerns were for not. It seems that Nate knew what he was doing when he installed the sites as well. Here is the first shot from the rifle.

firstshot.jpg

And then I fired 9 more shots. Here's the target. I never touched the sites. I fired 2 loads, 350g and 400g. I was shooting at 50 yards and the combined 5 shot groups went into 2-1/2" with each individual group measuring slightly over 2". That's about as good as my eyes will do these days, although I'll be trying to do better next time out. I think heavier loads will result in increased recoil which should give a slight rise of the group putting "all" the shots surrounding the bull.

bishtarg1a.jpg

I have also obtained some updated information about Nate Bishop from one of the current American Custom Gunmakers Guild. It seems that Nate's father was the well known Company of "E.C. Bishop & Son" in Warsaw Missouri. That makes Nate the "& Son" of that famous Company.

The Company E.C. Bishop & Son originally made wooden railroad ties, and later moved into making gun stock blanks and complete stocks, of which they turned out hundreds of thousands for the U.S. Military during WWII. During WWII, Nate joined the U.S. Air Force and upon his returning 5 years later, he took over the Finishing Department at the Bishop Factory.

Then in the early 1950's, his father sold the family Company, although the name stayed the same. It was at that time that Nate turned to Custom Stock making as a full time Business and later became a member of the Custom Gunmakers Guild.

Nate once commented that it takes up to 150 hours to craft a Custom stock and that the Customer was not just buying a fancy piece of wood, rather, he was buying a piece of the Craftsman's Life.

He went on to say that he could only craft one stock per month that would meet his personal specifications.

Attachments

• bishtarg1a.jpg
    bishtarg1a.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 264
  • firstshot.jpg
    firstshot.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 233
Wow, the dedication into that gun is incredible. Super good accuracy!

Beautifull!

Hello enysse,

thanks for the reply.

It seems like every time I examine this rifle, I find a few more of Nate Bishop's special features. Like these:

* The border of the checkering on both the leading edge of the grip and the trailing edge of the forend are beveled.
* The wood border around the bolt release box is raised.
* There is a tiny raised shelf behind the bolt handle slot.
* The rear sling swivel base is inlet with a wood surround and scalloped clearance for the swivel.
* The face of the recoil pad is covered with fine leather.
* The leading and trailing edges of the rear site base are curved and beveled.
* The front of the muzzle is concave crowned to protect the rifling.
* The front site is changeable, held in place with a tiny set screw.
* The extractor is magnum length to keep its back end captive in the shortened rear bridge.

I'm sure I will find more.

bishfeatures.jpg

Attachments

• bishfeatures.jpg
    bishfeatures.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 237
Gorgeous rifle.

The place to be careful in making the 416 Rigby fit in a standard large ring M98 is the feed ramp. Get too carried away and the lower lug will have precious little backing.

By the way, this is probably a good place to comment on the American vs. European high-end gun trade. In America the makers all tend to be independent entities (small shops, some of which specialize in a particular aspect of the craft such as metalwork or stocking), whereas in Europe they’re long-standing, storied firms. America has its gun-making firms of size and note (and history), of course, but they’re not known for works of art, of elegance (yeah, some have “custom shops”, but even their output is typically somewhat below true best-quality work…and as for Thompson Center referring to itself as America’s “Master Gun-maker”, it’s an obvious insult to the term). Further, with regard to America, it’s pretty much all bolt actions as, as for doubles (and singles), there really isn’t a “best maker” around (Searcy does not qualify…the only one who does, in my opinion, is Michael ______ (sorry, I forget the man’s last name), but he’s more into the flintlock and caplock trade, at least as last I was aware).

Gorgeous rifle.
The place to be careful in making the 416 Rigby fit in a standard large ring M98 is the feed ramp. Get too carried away and the lower lug will have precious little backing.

Hello CTDolan,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, but you must consider that even with a "thinned" lower lug backing, you stil have "full" upper lug backing in the front receiver ring, and "full" safety lug backing in the rear bridge. The combined lock-up area in "shear" still has far greater strength than some other action types. In addition, the 416 Rigby is a lower pressure cartridge compared to most other "big bores" and if loaded within factory pressure range, it would be well within safety limits. Harry Selbey's factory 416 Rigby built on a std 98 action lasted him a lifetime and beyond to current use.

...... and as for Thompson Center referring to itself as America’s “Master Gun-maker”, it’s an obvious insult to the term.

YES .... nothing more to say - you are right on.

Interesting and obviously well made rifle. Esthetically, I am not taken with the marriage of the Bavarian cheek piece with what is otherwise, stylistically, a very classic Anglo/American rifle. I love Teutonic rifles - but that Bavarian style works best for me when carried through to a longish slim fore end - with or without a Schnabel. None of that, however, has anything to do with the obvious quality of this rifle.

Hello Red Leg,

Thanks for the reply.

It took me a while to get used to the cheek-piece. But in the end I like it. I think it was Nate expressing his feelings.

Its not 100% Bavarian - being that its on a stock with a straight top comb; whereas most Bavarian rifle stocks had a "hump-back" top comb and their cheek-pieces were larger and had muliple shadow lines.

This "smallish" cheek-piece has the sharp corner lines and angles as found on some Hawken and Kentucky rifle stocks.

That stock Is Stunning

Hello Rob44

Thanks for the reply.

That stock is the most figured of any of my Big Game rifles, and tops a lot of my custom Bolt rifles too. Its unusual to see so much figure in a heavy recoiling rifle.

Great looking rifle.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Hello Rob44

Thanks for the reply.

That stock is the most figured of any of my Big Game rifles, and tops a lot of my custom Bolt rifles too. Its unusual to see so much figure in a heavy recoiling rifle.
Is this the same Bishop that made production style Sporter Stocks

Hello Rob44,

Thanks for the reply.

See the complete paragraph a few posts back. ( under the target pictures )
I have also obtained some updated information about Nate Bishop from one of the current American Custom Gunmakers Guild. It seems that Nate's father was the well known Company of "E.C. Bishop & Son" in Warsaw Missouri. That makes Nate the "& Son" of that famous Company.

Yes, but you must consider that even with a "thinned" lower lug backing, you stil have "full" upper lug backing in the front receiver ring, and "full" safety lug backing in the rear bridge. The combined lock-up area in "shear" still has far greater strength than some other action types. In addition, the 416 Rigby is a lower pressure cartridge compared to most other "big bores" and if loaded within factory pressure range, it would be well within safety limits. Harry Selbey's factory 416 Rigby built on a std 98 action lasted him a lifetime and beyond to current use.

Absolutely. I was just making a statement, in general. It can certainly be done, right and well. Time has definitely proven (tested) such.

By the way, as for Nate Bishop, back in the day Brownells sold bottom metal and such from his shop. It was very much high end (his, and that from Pete Grisel).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross