Namibians Will Retaliate - Shifeta

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Source: https://www.namibiansun.com/news/namibians-will-retaliate-shifeta2019-01-25/

Namibians will retaliate - Shifeta

full

Minister defends trophy hunting while in US

Environment minister Pohamba Shifeta says Namibian communities will retaliate against wildlife if trophy hunting is not allowed in conservancies.

Shifeta was speaking recently at the Dallas Safari Club Convention and Sporting Expo in Texas.

“We allow these communities to hunt in their conservancies, in that way we are supporting these communities not only to benefit, but also to conserve these animals, because without this support communities will retaliate against wild animals because they destroy their crops and attack their livestock.”

The ministry has faced heavy criticism from some anti-trophy hunting groups that have described the hunting of wildlife as barbaric.

They further claim that trophy hunting does not hold any benefit for the country.

Shifeta rejected these claims, saying trophy hunting in Namibia is effectively controlled and done with the application of science, and within the principle of sustainability.

The Dallas Safari Club has also expressed interest in supporting Namibia's anti-poaching activities and wildlife conservation.

Namibian hunting safari companies have been participating in the Dallas Safari Club Convention and Sporting Expo in collaboration with the ministry and the Namibia Professional Hunters Association (NAPHA) for many years.

About 30 Namibian hunting safari companies participated at this year's expo.

An agreement was signed between the ministry and the Dallas Safari Club in 2016, which provides for support towards Namibia's conservation programme, and according to Shifeta fruitful discussions were held on implementing the agreement that will result in funding for Namibia.

“We feel that this agreement bears fruits; so far we have many outfitters and safari companies that come to showcase their products here and apart from that we also have an understanding of supporting conservation and anti-poaching activities in Namibia. It is one of the important events in our calendar that we attend,” Shifeta said.

The Namibian hunting season starts on 1 February and ends on 30 November, and according to Shifeta many professional hunters have already booked their hunting sessions, which will pour more revenue into the Game Product Trust Fund (GPTF) to support Namibia's conservation programme.

Shifeta also congratulated Danene van der Westhuyzen, the president of NAPHA, for having been appointed to serve on the Dallas Safari Club Conservation Advisory Board.

The board will provide recommendations and advice on regional and global research, programme development, and advocacy for domestic and international conservation issues.

This will support the hunting club's mission of conserving wildlife and protecting the rights and interests of hunters worldwide.

I wish the Minister continued good fortune fighting the ignorance.

I recently made the acquaintance of two people who were on the fence about hunting. After some good conversation and explaining the benefits to the people who interact with wild animals on a daily basis and to the animals themselves, they are now in agreement with the principles of sustainable trophy hunting. Education is the key tool to combat the anti-s.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing the article!

I wish the best of luck in this endeavor..............my experience is different...............I believe emotionally based ignorance is very difficult to change.......even with a fact based educational argument..but I applaud the effort...............thanks for posting.......FWB

I recently made the acquaintance of two people who were on the fence about hunting. After some good conversation and explaining the benefits to the people who interact with wild animals on a daily basis and to the animals themselves, they are now in agreement with the principles of sustainable trophy hunting. Education is the key tool to combat the anti-s.

Exactly! Good for you!

Source: https://www.namibiansun.com/news/namibians-will-retaliate-shifeta2019-01-25/

Namibians will retaliate - Shifeta

full

Minister defends trophy hunting while in US

Environment minister Pohamba Shifeta says Namibian communities will retaliate against wildlife if trophy hunting is not allowed in conservancies.

Shifeta was speaking recently at the Dallas Safari Club Convention and Sporting Expo in Texas.

“We allow these communities to hunt in their conservancies, in that way we are supporting these communities not only to benefit, but also to conserve these animals, because without this support communities will retaliate against wild animals because they destroy their crops and attack their livestock.”

The ministry has faced heavy criticism from some anti-trophy hunting groups that have described the hunting of wildlife as barbaric.

They further claim that trophy hunting does not hold any benefit for the country.

Shifeta rejected these claims, saying trophy hunting in Namibia is effectively controlled and done with the application of science, and within the principle of sustainability.

The Dallas Safari Club has also expressed interest in supporting Namibia's anti-poaching activities and wildlife conservation.

Namibian hunting safari companies have been participating in the Dallas Safari Club Convention and Sporting Expo in collaboration with the ministry and the Namibia Professional Hunters Association (NAPHA) for many years.

About 30 Namibian hunting safari companies participated at this year's expo.

An agreement was signed between the ministry and the Dallas Safari Club in 2016, which provides for support towards Namibia's conservation programme, and according to Shifeta fruitful discussions were held on implementing the agreement that will result in funding for Namibia.

“We feel that this agreement bears fruits; so far we have many outfitters and safari companies that come to showcase their products here and apart from that we also have an understanding of supporting conservation and anti-poaching activities in Namibia. It is one of the important events in our calendar that we attend,” Shifeta said.

The Namibian hunting season starts on 1 February and ends on 30 November, and according to Shifeta many professional hunters have already booked their hunting sessions, which will pour more revenue into the Game Product Trust Fund (GPTF) to support Namibia's conservation programme.

Shifeta also congratulated Danene van der Westhuyzen, the president of NAPHA, for having been appointed to serve on the Dallas Safari Club Conservation Advisory Board.

The board will provide recommendations and advice on regional and global research, programme development, and advocacy for domestic and international conservation issues.

This will support the hunting club's mission of conserving wildlife and protecting the rights and interests of hunters worldwide.
Love Namibia and their strong stance FOR trophy hunting! Congratulations to my dear friend Danene on her appointment to this important board.
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross