Namibian borders open 1 September

AS PER BIANCA HARMSE OF PRONTO TRAVEL (slightly summarized)
• Valid Covid-19 test not older than 72 hours on arrival.
• Once you arrive, you can proceed to your first destination.
• The next day / second day if you wish you can move on with your itinerary.
• On day 5, you will have to undergo a Covid-19 test.
• This result will be given through to you on day 7. If negative, you are free to carry on.
• If positive, they will go into an approved facility at their own cost. They are using good local lodges and hotels for this. No need to worry. You will be stuck there for only 7 days.
• The following airlines have been approved commercial flights to Windhoek Hosea Kutako Airport:

o Ethiopian Airlines will start on 11 September 2020 with the first flights.
o Lufthansa / Eurowings will start on 19 September 2020 with the first flights.
o Qatar Airways have been approved, but they do not yet have a flight schedule in place. I have heard 17 September.
o Air Namibia has been approved as well, but will be affected with the Government Lockdowns in place.

• When you book your flight ticket –take the more expensive ticket with the least restrictions – cancelation fees, refund fees or change fees – this is usually your full economy ticket, your full premium economy, full business class or full first-class ticket. With these tickets, they will be able to do changes to the tickets either for free or with the least amount of fees to be paid. You please make sure with each airline what their polices are.

• Take out travel insurance and to make sure what the travel insurance cover – Flight cancelations, package cancelation and Covid-19 related expenses: Tests, Quarantine, Isolation, Hospital costs and medical costs involved, etc.

So for all those planning on going to Namibia this year- YOU MUST take a valid COVID 19 PCR test and have negative result in hand upon arrival to Windhoek within 72 HOURS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL TO Namibia to be allowed entrance. Taking the test 72 hours prior to your departure from US could mean the result would be invalid/over 72 hours from arrival into Windhoek. This will make things quite difficult if departing US of obtaining the test in the appropriate time. I recommend you get in touch with either your local hospital or lab to obtain a quick turnover test (there are some wherein result is available in 1 hour) so that you can have the test result available. I am going to be able to get the rapid test the night before I leave and make plenty of copies of the test.

Still the major problem is- what if you’re asymptomatic and actually positive for the virus?! Current best estimate is that approximately 40% of people that have the virus are completely asymptomatic (per CDC on July 10). This is the gamble everyone is going to have to take including myself. Fortunately, most airlines taking travelers to Namibia will not charge a rescheduling fee so you can go later by a certain amount of time.

One other problem- I’ve spoken to many doctors in the know- many people that test positive remain testing positive for the virus even when not sick - for weeks (and I’m talking 5-6 weeks). So, as the saying goes- “the best made plans of mice and men”.

The rapid test will not work. It’s not thePCR test. We called all over East Texas and finally found a clinic that said they could get our PCR test results back to us in 24-48 hrs. Every where else 3-10 days. Also what we have been told is that u have to have a negative test results no older than 72 hrs before departing flight. Who knows what they really want. So many scenarios going around right now!

Last edited:
The rapid test will not work. It’s not thePCR test. We called all over East Texas and finally found a clinic that said they could get our PCR test results back to us in 24-48 hrs. Every where else 3-10 days.
I hear you and you are correct- for the vast majority of places. I triple checked that my hospital has a rapid COVID19 PCR test (and it states that it is in fact a PCR test on the lab sheet) that the result is made available in 1 hour. I am fortunate wherein by me working at my local hospital-they are setting aside a test for me. Also, this "rapid PCR test" is NOT a "Biofire test" (for those that work in healthcare on this forum)- it is an individual rapid PCR COVID19 test alone. The Biofire test is not a PCR test so is certainly the wrong one if you're considering that option- which don't!!!

I understand that most will not be able to obtain this test as it is limited in availability. As you say, there are tests that come back in 24-48 hours (and I plan on getting that one as well about 2 days prior to my departure to be "double-checked"). Everyone must plan accordingly to make sure they have the correct PCR test within 72 hours prior to arrival to Windhoek.

Source: Namibia Tourism Board

ETHIOPIAN AIRLINES HAS LANDED!!!

119123744_3364824166911469_7974337294969203440_n.jpg
119138220_3364824300244789_7124307356565217541_n.jpg

Source: https://www.republikein.com.na/nuus/toeriste-uit-europa-land2020-09-21/

toeriste-uit-europa-land2020-09-210.jpg
toeriste-uit-europa-land2020-09-211.jpg

Tourists from Europe country

Lufthansa flies again from Frankfurt

Eurowings' flight LH5434 landed at Frankfurt Hosea Kutako International Airport just before sunrise yesterday morning. The Airbus A330-300 with 280 seats was less than half full, with 133 passengers.

It was the first European flight to Namibia since the international ban on air transport was introduced five months ago in March due to Covid-19.

Eurowings, part of the Lufthansa group, will henceforth connect Windhoek and Frankfurt directly three times a week (every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday). Return flights from Frankfurt to Windhoek are already offered for about N $ 9 500 on lufthansa.com.

"Namibia is an important market for the Lufthansa group," says Dr. André Schulz, the group's general manager for Southern and Eastern Africa. He was already excited about the landing last Friday. The airline has experienced a crisis in the past six months and "we are really happy to be able to return to normal commercial business," he says.

Yesterday's flight was full above expectations, considering the short run - up before departure time, along with several travel restrictions that still apply, Schulz says.

"It is very positive for us," he says. However, Schulz says the behavior of travelers has changed remarkably due to the global pandemic.

"Demand has changed," he says. The travel industry will have to look at how demand responds in the future and learn from it, he says.

"We will closely monitor developments in the coming weeks when it comes to using more lead-in time," he says. According to him, the Namibian Tourism Board has already started marketing Namibia in Germany and the airline will keep it adaptable to be able to respond to any increase in demand.

According to Namibia Airports Company (NAC) CEO, Mr. Bisey Uirab, Germany is one of Namibia's leading source markets for tourists.

REBUILD TRUST

"Global demand remains a difficult issue. We believe in returning demand we need to restore confidence and for that health, hygiene and safety are of utmost importance. We only expect the same volumes of visitors by 2024. The recovery will take time, ”says Schulz.

One never knows when it comes to the coronavirus, he points out. "Europe is now in the middle of a second wave, but with testing and the possibility of a vaccine, it is difficult to predict," he said.

One unexpected benefit of the global response to the pandemic is the impact on demand for cargo flights, according to Schulz. He says the capacity of Lufthansa's cargo aircraft division is being increased.

"In the field of cargo flights, there is great demand," he says.

According to Schulz, the biggest headache is regaining prospective travelers' confidence in aviation safety. In terms of Lufthansa's long-term plans with Namibia, Schulz says work on increasing the number of flights and better understanding with the market has already started in 2017.

With the strong ties between Namibia and Germany, Schulz aims for steady, regular flights to connect markets and cultures, with a strong focus on tourism and "a special bond with Lufthansa as the leading choice of carrier," he says.

Namibia's Minister of the Environment, Forestry and Tourism, Mr. Pohamba Shifeta says: "After so many months in the fight against the global pandemic, we are delighted to welcome international visitors back to Namibia."

According to him, Namibia is ready and the local tourism sector is prepared to offer travelers a safe holiday.

The original version in Afrikaans below:

Toeriste uit Europa land

Lufthansa vlieg weer vanaf Frankfurt

Eurowings se vlug LH5434 het gisteroggend net voor sonop vanuit Frankfurt by die Internasionale Lughawe Hosea Kutako geland. Die Airbus A330-300 met 280 sitplekke was minder as half vol, met 133 passasiers.

Dit was die eerste Europese vlug na Namibië sedert die internasionale verbod op lugvervoer vyf maande gelede in Maart weens Covid-19 ingestel is.

Eurowings, deel van die Lufthansa-groep, sal voortaan drie keer per week (elke Woensdag, Vrydag en Sondag) Windhoek en Frankfurt direk verbind. Retoervlugte vanaf Frankfurt na Windhoek word reeds vir sowat N$9 500 op lufthansa.com aangebied.

“Namibië is 'n belangrike mark vir die Lufthansa-groep,” sê dr. André Schulz, die groep se hoofbestuurder vir Suider- en Oos-Afrika. Hy was laas Vrydag reeds opgewonde oor die landing. Die lugredery het die afgelope halfjaar 'n krisis beleef en “ons is werklik bly om na normale kommersiële besigheid te kan terugkeer,” sê hy.

Gister se vlug was bo verwagting vol, as mens die kort aanloop voor die vertrektyd in ag neem, tesame met verskeie reisbeperkinge wat steeds van toepassing is, sê Schulz.

“Dit is vir ons baie positief,” sê hy. Schulz sê egter die gedrag van reisigers het merkwaardig verander weens die globale pandemie.

“Aanvraag het verander,” sê hy. Die reisbedryf sal in die toekoms moet kyk hoe aanvraag reageer en daaruit leer, sê hy.

“Ons sal verwikkelinge in die komende weke noukeurig dophou wanneer om meer aanlooptyd te kan inspan,” sê hy. Volgens hom het die Namibiese Toerismeraad reeds begin om Namibië in Duitsland te bemark en die lugredery sal hom aanpasbaar hou om op enige toename in aanvraag te kan reageer.

Volgens die Namibië Lughawensmaatskappy (NAC) se uitvoerende hoof, mnr. Bisey Uirab, is Duitsland een van Namibië se voorste bron-markte vir toeriste.

HERBOU VERTROUE

“Globale aanvraag bly 'n lastige kwessie. Ons glo vir die terugkeer van aanvraag moet ons vertroue herstel en daarvoor is gesondheid, higiëne en veiligheid van uiterste belang. Ons verwag eers teen 2024 dieselfde volumes van besoekers. Die herstel sal tyd neem,” sê Schulz.

'n Mens weet nooit as dit kom by die coronavirus nie, wys hy uit. “Europa is nou in die middel van 'n tweede golf, maar met toetsing en die moontlikheid van 'n entstof is dit moeilik om te voorspel,” sê hy.

Een onverwagte voordeel van die wêreldreaksie op die pandemie is die uitwerking op die aanvraag na vragvlugte, volgens Schulz. Hy sê die kapasiteit van Lufthansa se vragvliegtuigafdeling word vergroot.

“Op die gebied van vragvlugte is daar groot aanvraag,” sê hy.

Volgens Schulz is die grootste kopseer die herwinning van voornemende reisigers se vertroue in die veiligheid van lugvaart. In terme van Lufthansa se langtermynplanne met Namibië sê Schulz die werk aan toename in die aantal vlugte en 'n beter verstandhouding met die mark het reeds in 2017 begin.

Met die sterk bande tussen Namibië en Duitsland beoog Schulz standvastige, gereelde vlugte om die markte en kulture te koppel, met sterk fokus op toerisme en “'n spesiale band met Lufthansa as die voorste keuse van karweier,” sê hy.

Namibië se minister van die omgewing, bosbou en toerisme, mnr. Pohamba Shifeta sê: “Ná soveel maande in die stryd teen die globale pandemie is ons verheug om internasionale besoekers weer in Namibië te verwelkom.”

Volgens hom is Namibië gereed en die plaaslike toerismesektor voorbereid om aan reisigers 'n veilige vakansie te bied.

Unfortunately I found out that Qatar airlines scheduled to land in Windhoek on Oct. 1st has cancelled those flights and running them through JoBurg. Qatar will start flights, at least on the system, Oct. 15th. Ten days before flight, Qatar cancelled the flight. Bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trying to rebook now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.