Namibian borders open 1 September

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Source: Namibian Sun FB page

JUST IN: Tourism minister Pohamba Shifeta has announced that the borders will open on 1 September, clearing the way for international tourists to once again visit Namibia. Among the salient points to highlight are that international tourists arriving in Namibia will be required to represent a 72-hour negative Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test result. President Hage Geingob said tourists would not be subjected to mandatory quarantine. “They will, however, be required to remain at their first destination in the country for a period of seven days," Shifeta said.

Source: Namibian Sun FB page

JUST IN: Tourism minister Pohamba Shifeta has announced that the borders will open on 1 September, clearing the way for international tourists to once again visit Namibia. Among the salient points to highlight are that international tourists arriving in Namibia will be required to represent a 72-hour negative Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test result. President Hage Geingob said tourists would not be subjected to mandatory quarantine. “They will, however, be required to remain at their first destination in the country for a period of seven days," Shifeta said.

They need to define "first destination".

I’m ecstatic!!!!! Fantastic news!!!!! Looking forward to my date with Chui in mid November- but still keeping my fingers crossed that this good news remains as we all know how things can change the in an instant in Africa.

I spoke with Lori @TRAVEL EXPRESS yesterday- still the only way for Americans to get there at this point is on Qatar Airways.

Woohoo!!! This made my day (as well as the pics I received yesterday and today from my PH there in Namibia as well as from Jacques Spamer of JKO Safaris ).

Awesome to hear, we have a hunt originally planned for SA but pivoted to Namibia. A couple of days later is when they closed their borders. This made my day.

Hosea Kutako September 1 open to tourists

The Minister of the Environment, Forestry and Tourism, Mr. Pohamba Shifeta, has just announced that foreign tourists can visit Namibia via Hosea Kutako International Airport (HKIA) from 1 September.

He announced this afternoon the new implementation protocol for the international tourism revival plan.

“This protocol has been approved by the Ministers of the Environment, Forestry and Tourism; health and social services; and signed Home Affairs, Immigration, Security and Security, ”Shifeta said.

"The protocol is designed to ensure that international tourists can visit Namibia without endangering their or Namibians' health."

No foreign tourists can enter the country by road, only by plane via HKIA.

The protocol involves:

• All tourists must show a negative Covid-19 test, not older than 72 hours before their flight;

• All tourists must stay for seven days at their first place of stay of registration registered with the Namibia Tourism Board (NTB) and approved by the Ministry of Health and Social Services. They must travel immediately from the airport to their place of residence;

• All accommodation must maintain general health and safety protocol.

According to the minister, the protocol will be reviewed every two weeks.

Role players in the tourism sector are delighted with the announcement.

The original version in Afrikaans below:

Hosea Kutako 1 September vir toeriste oop

Die minister van die omgewing, bosbou en toerisme, mnr. Pohamba Shifeta, het pas aangekondig dat buitelandse toeriste vanaf 1 September via die Internasionale Lughawe Hosea Kutako (HKIA) Namibië kan besoek.

Hy het vanmiddag die nuwe implementeringsprotokol vir die internasionale toerismeherlewingsplan aangekondig.

“Hierdie protokol is deur die ministers van die omgewing, bosbou en toerisme; gesondheid en maatskaplike dienste; en binnelandse sake, immigrasie, veiligheid en sekuriteit onderteken,” het Shifeta gesê.

“Die protokol is ontwerp om te verseker dat internasionale toeriste Namibië kan besoek sonder om hul of Namibiërs se gesondheid in gevaar te stel.”

Geen buitelandse toeriste kan die land per pad binnekom nie, slegs per vliegtuig via HKIA.

Die protokol behels:

• Alle toeriste moet ‘n negatiewe Covid-19-toets, nie ouer as 72 uur voor hul vlug, toon;

• Alle toeriste moet vir sewe dae by hul eerste verblyfplek van bespreking bly wat by die Namibië Toerismeraad (NTB) geregistreer en deur die ministerie van gesondheid en maatskapliek dienste goedgekeur is. Hulle moet dadelik vanaf die lughawe na hul verblyfplek reis;

• Alle akkommodasieplekke moet algemene gesondheid- en veiligheidsprotokol handhaaf.

Volgens die minister sal die protokol elke twee weke hersien word.

Rolspelers in die toerismesektor is verheug oor die aankondiging.

I have my flight booked with Lori at @TRAVEL EXPRESS. Arriving Oct1st. Because even though it opens Sept 1st Qatar has no flights scheduled. (This was as of last week, when we started to hear rumors). 12 hours jfk to Doha, six hour layover (can’t leave airport, not allowed) 9 hours to Windhoek, customs (easy in Namibia), then 14 hour drive to caprivi to hunt/quarantine as that will be my first stop, according to new regulations. Should be fun! I am excited to be going though.

Qatar airways - costs were best I ever had to Africa. @700 coach 3,400 business. Use Lori. It was cheaper than booking direct. Face mask and they give you a face shield. They ask coach passengers to wear shield the whole flight except when eating or drinking. They say they installed hepa filters but who knows.

Will let you know if I have any problems but if you don’t hear from me during my trip know that it is because I am hunting.
Own use elephant, trophy cape, hippo, lechwe and other plain games. I am beyond excited for all the reasons you would expect. Omujeve safaris.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
AND where do we get this PCR Test?

AND where do we get this PCR Test?

Terry - The PCR test is the standard Covid-19 test. Just about any hospital, urgent care and some doctors office can administer it. It is getting the results back in a timely fashion that presents some obstacles.

This is great news. If flights to Maun, Botswana don't resume by April, Jaco said it would be a long drive but that he could pick me up in Namibia. I would probably enjoy the drive.

This is great news. If flights to Maun, Botswana don't resume by April, Jaco said it would be a long drive but that he could pick me up in Namibia. I would probably enjoy the drive.

This will be a fly in the ointment.

This will be a fly in the ointment.

Yeah that would not be a problem on the way in but could be on the way out.

Yeah that would not be a problem on the way in but could be on the way out.
Depends where the driver is coming from as well, I’d think.

Depends where the driver is coming from as well, I’d think.
Yes, might be a problem unless there is an exemption for PH's that work in both countries. Hopefully, Botswana has flights available into Maun or another city by April so I don't have to worry about it.

As I posted elsewhere on the forum, we are supposed to have a similar announcement on or by 1, September. We have four airlines including Emirates flying into Harare at this time.

Concerning Botswana, I would believe it has just as much to do with South Africa Opening up. I do not know of a flight to Botswana from a major Hub. Thus without JoBerg open where is the flight going to originate?

Source: NBC News - 8 FB page

BORDERS OPEN | Ethiopian Airlines announced resumption of their flights to Windhoek.
This follows Government's announcement to reopen the borders, which are officially opening today as part of the Tourism Revival Initiative implemented by the Ministry of Environment and Tourism.

118693821_3454375741280264_8371507889803026553_n.jpg

Concerning Botswana, I would believe it has just as much to do with South Africa Opening up. I do not know of a flight to Botswana from a major Hub. Thus without JoBerg open where is the flight going to originatesny?
Good point. There was a story somewhere about SA opening in February. Anyone heard anymore on that?

Source: https://www.republikein.com.na/nuus/sewe-dae-kwarantyn-vir-toeriste-geskrap2020-09-09/

Seven-day quarantine for tourists scrapped

Tourism loses N $ 115.7 million due to cancellations

Francoise Steynberg - Since the announcement of the implementation of the tourism revival plan protocol and reopening of Hosea Kutako International Airport (HKIA) on September 1, no reservations have been made by tourists and the country has lost N $ 115.7 million due to cancellations.

The announcement was made yesterday by the Minister of the Environment, Forestry and Tourism, Mr. Pohamba Shifeta, made that led to new adjustments in the protocol of the tourism revival plan to attract more tourists.

"This has a direct negative impact on the cash flow of businesses which has led to further salary cuts and / or redundancies. "It forced us to reconsider our approach," Shifeta said.

Therefore, strict Covid-19 regulations for international tourists such as the seven-day quarantine had to be scrapped, which the tourism industry welcomed.

"The tourism sector is highly competitive and Namibia must compete against other countries worldwide to attract tourists."

Shifeta acknowledged the fact that other countries in the region had opened their borders with fewer restrictions harmed Namibia.

"There are still discussions in the system, but tourists are hoping for more attractive protocols and measures.

"To find a balance between saving human lives and saving people's livelihoods, the protocol had to be changed," Shifeta said.

NO 7 DAYS IN QUARANTINE

Protocol that has changed includes: If tourists land on HKIA, they may continue to travel to a pre-booked destination and participate in planned tourism activities at the accommodation for the number of days the tourist stays there.

Shifeta says if the tourist wants to stay at the pre-booked place for less than five days, the tourist may travel to the next destination.

"Tourists must be available wherever they find themselves to provide a tissue sample for a Covid-19 test."

According to Shifeta, the tourists must also be reachable to receive the result of the test on day 7.

"If the result is negative, the tourist is exempt from any supervision. "If the test is positive, the tourist will be taken to an isolation facility identified by the Ministry of Health and Social Services and treated at their own expense and according to the national case management guidelines," Shifeta confirmed.

He also confirmed that the HKIA was ready for action and that bilateral aviation security agreements had been undertaken.

"We have received a positive response from major airlines, such as Ethiopian Airlines resuming flights on Friday, as well as the Lufthansa group landing on September 20."

According to the minister, Air Namibia also plans to resume its international flights.

The chairperson of the Tour and Safari Association (Tasa), me. Nathaly Ahrens, and the CEO of the Hospitality Association of Namibia (HAN), me. Gitta Paetzold, believes the new rules are a big step forward for tourism.

"We are very excited and thank our minister and all the role players who worked so hard to achieve this in such a way that our Namibians' health is also protected," said Ahrens.

"For the tourists, it means the freedom they seek to tour, along with the assurance that there is a health service that acts in their interest and conducts tests," Paetzold said.

"This is proof that teamwork and ongoing discussions with the ministry and the task team are bearing fruit. "We are very grateful that our government has kept an open door for us and listened to our interests and is prepared to adapt in the interests of our country and its people," she added.

The original version in Afrikaans below:

Sewe dae kwarantyn vir toeriste geskrap

Toerisme verloor N$115,7 miljoen weens kansellasies

Francoise Steynberg - Sedert die aankondiging van die implementering van die toerismeherlewingsplan-protokol en heropening van die Internasionale Lughawe Hosea Kutako (HKIA) op 1 September, is geen besprekings deur toeriste gemaak nie en die land het weens kansellasies N$115,7 miljoen verloor.

Die aankondiging is gister deur die minister van die omgewing, bosbou en toerisme, mnr. Pohamba Shifeta, gemaak wat gelei het tot nuwe aanpassings in die protokol van die toerismeherlewingsplan om meer toeriste te lok.

“Dit het ’n direkte negatiewe impak op die kontantvloei van besighede wat gelei het tot verdere salarisbesnoeiings en/of afdankings. Dit het ons gedwing om ons benadering te heroorweeg,” het Shifeta gesê.

Daarom moes streng Covid-19-regulasies vir internasionale toeriste soos onder meer die sewe dae kwarantyn geskrap word, waaroor die toerismebedryf verheug is.

“Die toerismesektor is hoogs mededingend en Namibië moet teen ander lande wêreldwyd meeding om toeriste te lok.”

Shifeta het erken die feit dat ander lande in die streek hul grense met minder beperkinge oopgemaak het, het Namibië benadeel.

“Daar is steeds besprekings in die stelsel, maar toeriste hoop op meer aanloklike protokol en maatreëls.

“Om ’n balans te vind tussen menselewens te red en die lewensbestaan van mense te red, moes die protokol verander word,” het Shifeta gesê.

GEEN 7 DAE IN KWARANTYN

Protokol wat verander het, behels onder meer: As toeriste op HKIA land, mag hulle verder reis na ’n voorafbespreekte bestemming en deelneem aan beplande toerisme-aktiwiteite by die akkommodasieplek vir die aantal dae wat die toeris daar bly.

Shifeta sê indien die toeris minder as vyf dae by die voorafbespreekte plek wil bly, mag die toeris na die volgende bestemming reis.

“Toeriste moet wel beskikbaar wees waar hulle hulself ook al bevind om ’n weefselmonster vir ’n Covid-19-toets te verskaf.”

Volgens Shifeta moet die toeriste ook bereikbaar wees om die resultaat van die toets op dag 7 te ontvang.

“Indien die uitslag negatief is, is die toeris vrygestel van enige toesig. As die toets positief is, sal die toeris na ’n isolasiefasiliteit geïdentifiseer deur die ministerie van gesondheid en maatskaplike dienste geneem word en op hul eie koste en volgens die nasionale riglyne vir gevallebestuur behandel word,” het Shifeta bevestig.

Hy het ook bevestig dat die HKIA slaggereed is en dat bilaterale lugvaartveiligheidsooreenkomste onderneem is.

“Ons het positiewe reaksie van groot lugrederye ontvang, soos Ethiopian Airlines wat vlugte Vrydag hervat, asook die Lufthansa-groep wat op 20 September land.”

Volgens die minister beplan Air Namibia ook om sy internasionale vlugte te hervat.

Die voorsitter van die Toer- en Safarivereniging (Tasa), me. Nathaly Ahrens, en die uitvoerende hoof van die Gasvryheidsvereniging van Namibië (HAN), me. Gitta Paetzold, meen die nuwe reëls is ’n groot stap vorentoe vir toerisme.

“Ons is baie opgewonde en bedank ons minister en al die rolspelers wat so hard daaraan gewerk het om hierdie te bewerkstellig op só ’n manier dat ons Namibiërs se gesondheid ook beskerm word,” het Ahrens gesê.

“Vir die toeriste beteken dit die vryheid wat hulle soek om te toer, tesame met die versekering dat daar ’n gesondheidsdiens is wat in hul belang optree en toetse uitvoer,” het Paetzold gesê.

“Dit is ’n bewys dat spanwerk en voortdurende gesprekke met die ministerie en die taakspan vrugte afwerp. Ons is baie dankbaar dat ons regering vir ons ’n oop deur gehou en na ons belange geluister het en bereid is om aan te pas in die belang van ons land en sy mense,” het sy bygevoeg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.