NAMIBIA: We Are Back! Namibia Hunt With Elandpro Safaris

Naw, that's not it but someone will catch it. Now as to the low wound. I alluded to being worthless remember? My first shot on an apparently quartering away shot that went low for all of the aforementioned reasons, longer distance as well. I say apparently because my addled brain remembered the shot as being quartering to, not away (Keiths famous "raking" shot), but Rommel saw it as it was, quartering away. Unfortunately my shot went too far back to be fatal, and was just enough to make him sick enough to lag behind and end up alone to allow Gerrit to finish the job I started. He had my permission and blessing to finish the job as I told him, job one was recovery and I have ZERO qualms about him putting him down for good with his BRNO .375 mag. Having been married for nearly 45 years my ego has been bruised plenty so I am not bothered at all by this and consider it a joint venture between Gerrit and myself. He is a fine bull, a Monsta almost. Each horn is over 40 inches around the ridge and his numbers would actually qualify for min SCI under Lord Derby eland! See if someone else notices something distinctive about this bull considering his local.

@sestoppelman ,

I notice some faint striping, is it a Livingstone??
Correct! It is at least a hybrid as it had about 6 stripes and is redder than normal Cape eland. I consider this a bonus for sure.

@sestoppelman ,

I notice some faint striping, is it a Livingstone??

Well anyone can notice striping!! :A Argue:

I think you're on it. Outside of identifying a LDE from all of the other types of eland, I haven't a clue. I know there are several types, I just can't keep them straight in my head.

EDIT: And now it seem Scott confirmed while I was typing this post.

Forgot to mention. When Gerrit said it was quartering away, in my minds eye, which is somewhat myopic I guess,,, I saw it as quartering too and I had the audacity to bet him $100 that he was wrong and he took the bet. Ahh, an idiot you say, yes but on the other hand perhaps I was being crafty. Extra incentive perhaps. Too crafty for me in this state but I very gladly paid him the money when I was proved wrong! Money well spent!

No matter how, you finally got your eland!

Here is some eland running ahead of us along the border fence. This is after I got mine.
IMG_3805.JPG

congrats. Glad you got your bull. I am sure it was a big goal for you this trip

Mine also had the stripping and chevron on it face like a livingstone eland. My Ph Said mine was a true Livingston any many are in Namibia. I have no idea I just know there fun to hunt and I am guessing I may just go after number 3 next trip.

That picture of the eland running away looks to have a big bodied bull in the back to.

Thanks Bill, he had quite a few running around on his properties.

Congrats again on a nice eland! (y) Look forward to more of the report!

The eland was the highlight for me of course, but we also took a few other critters. Like this the first of 2 red hartebeests for the boy. Funny because he wasn't supposed to take 2!! He shot one out of a group, then when they all took off, he fired another shot at what he thought was the first one. Turned out it was another and his was back on the ground where he shot it! The 2nd bull took off and was not recovered till next day, needing a finisher.
IMG_3824.JPG

Here is the camp giraffe!
IMG_3829.JPG

Welcome home and congrats! Enjoying the report and looking forward to the rest (y)
That is a beast of an eland!

Rommels lair! Otherwise known as Farm Mooilaagte 944, about 45 minutes outside Grootfontein. No doubt Jerome knows this place. It is also close to Westfahlen.
IMG_3832.JPG

Nates black wildebeest. Funny story. I followed Gerrit right up to this bugger and was getting ready for shooting instructions and about ready to take the sticks when he motioned for Nate to step in and take the shot!! I'm like, WTH!?:mad: What am I chopped liver for crying out loud?!?! :confused: I dutifully stepped aside not knowing what it was he had in mind. Nate took the shot and got the bull. Later in conversation when we were lining out our plans I told Gerrit "and don't forget my black wildebeest".:rolleyes: The look on Rommels face was priceless to say the least!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: He looked like he just spotted Patton behind him with a 1000 tanks!:eek::eek::eek: Says he, "you wanted one too"? Yah, yah, says I! We all got a good laugh out of that.:LOL::LOL::LOL:
IMG_3845.JPG

Here is mine taken a day or so later from the same general area. One shot kill at about 175 yards with my '06 and 200 gr Nosler Partitions. Note the smiley faced pit bull. This is one of 5 they had. All a bunch of lovey dovey dogs. Three black and whites and two browns. Anyone thinking all pit bulls are evil could have that notion dispelled in the presence of these pups.
IMG_3856.JPG

Namibian flat repair!!
IMG_3862.JPG

Homebrewed bush car! Actually a sheet metal body fabbed onto an actual frame. Been out of service for a while says Gerrit.:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D
IMG_3864.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!