Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Nam, Zam, Zim,RSA (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, NZ, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
I posted this question on another thread and didn't get any replies, so I thought I'd create a new thread.

Basically, I am looking for any info on the Waterberg Plateau Park area in Namibia. Wondering if there is something magical about this area. I viewed a website of an outfitter and dayrate was north of $2k/day and buff trophy fee was listed as $16k for under 50 inches and $25k for over 50 inches.

upload_2017-7-1_19-12-2.png

I posted this question on another thread and didn't get any replies, so I thought I'd create a new thread.

Basically, I am looking for any info on the Waterberg Plateau Park area in Namibia. Wondering if there is something magical about this area. ............

In short, yes it is a pretty incredible space.
Very limited hunting. Exclusivity will likely be the basis for the pricing you noted.

Jerome's family place is just down the trail from the Waterberg Plateau. I never got on top of the plateau but got some gorgeous sunset pictures with it in the background.

Dear 375 Ruger Fan
I have personally guided hunts in the Waterberg Plateau National Park in Namibia. It's a gem of a place... Honestly.

Last year I guided a Leopard Hunt along with Jofie Lamprecht in October with a client from the USA. We took a 188 pound Tom on day 4 of a 16 day hunt.
Aman Leopard - trophy images_7872.jpg

There are huge Sable & Roan in the area. Some of the best in Namibia... There are plenty of BIG old Eland bulls and it would be a very good area to hunt Eland.

As for Buffalo... There is over 800 Buffalo in the National Park according to the Ministry of Environment's Game Scouts. Which says a lot. The quality of Buffalo are excellent as well. If you work hard, be patient and slow in the thick stuff, you will get a big boy. You will definitely see a number of Buffalo, so you can be quit picky. The hunting is not that easy though, the bush is dense and thick, making it a heaven for all dagga boys.

The reason for the high price in hunts, is because a "company" (I don't want to call names) bought the hunting rights on an auction for a specific term, now, other outfitters and PH's have to buy the tags from the company in order to hunt there. The company paid a high price for the hunting rights, which in turn, they have to sell it for a high price. The daily rates are usually expensive, since they don't have a lodge/camp in the hunting area, so you have to use another lodge outside the National Park (and they are expensive as well). It's a bit of a catch 22 if you ask me...!

What I can say is this... The area is worth it. It's surely one of the best hunting areas in Namibia. It's not over hunted. It's well controlled. There are plenty of game. The scenery is breathtaking. A true gem to the wild-hearted hunter.

That's my thoughts... Hope it helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Below are some more pictures I have taken in the Waterberg Plateau National Park.
IMG_1303.JPG
IMG_1308.JPG
IMG_1374.JPG
IMG_1400.JPG
IMG_1425.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
375 you got somebody now who has hunted it and can tell you about quality. Sounds like you want a big buff.

Sounds like you want a big buff.

Don't we all? But the prices I've seen quoted for Waterberg are beyond what I want to pay. I'll keep looking! After going to Kenya and Masai Mara, Tanzania has really got me interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg