Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, RMEF
Hunted
RSA, Zimbabwe
AH friends- I received this early this morning from my Namibian PH as well as outfitter. I think this was well worth passing on. It is the updated (as of 23 September 2020) Namibia travel protocols. Please especially refer to section 8. Section 8 (4) states that those entering Namibia must have a negative COVID19 PCR test "not older than 7 days" (this is obviously a great change/update compared to the 72 hours prior to arrival as it will allow many more from the US the capability to make the test in the timeline required to travel to Namibia with the layovers). One thought I have is, however, during your flight layover (mine will be in Doha, Qatar as I'm flying Qatar Airways)- do you need to still have proof that you have a negative test within 72 hours prior to arrival at their airport (not your end destination in Namibia)? I think I read on a different AH thread recently that Qatar is asking for proof of PCR testing prior to leaving your departure city even tho you are just on layover in the airport and not exiting the airport. Just something to think about- more on AH here may be able to comment on this.

Also, section 8 (5) states that you must notify in writing to the Namibian representative in your country of origin (in my case, the Namibian embassy in Washington, DC) of your intention on entering Namibia- at least 14 days prior to arrival in Namibia. I'm no lawyer, so I'm not completely sure if you need to notify the Namibia US embassy (or your country of origin) in writing or not- but I would recommend better safe than sorry and notify them by email (so that it's in writing)- of your intentions (including passport number and details of your trip and who your outfitter is and their contact address and phone number, etc) to enter Namibia. My thought is the more documentation you have in writing/email, the better off you are in answering the often ridiculous questions that officials at the airport or wherever may ask- and yet they somehow usually manage to forget to ask about the most pertinent information. Hey- "it's Africa, right?!"

Hope these positive changes will allow more to be able to make it over to Namibia in 2020!

Attachments

• Namibia protocol9:23:20.pdf
    256.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
It looks like you need one on the 72 hour period to be allowed on the plane...

@spike.t Thank you for your information as I knew that was probably the case about needing the negative PCR test within 72 hours prior to arrival at connecting airport.

Also, as I mentioned in first post- clients going to Namibia to hunt MUST notify the Namibian consulate here in the US (office in Washington, DC) by email. Included in info provided needs to be full name, US passport number, flight number into Windhoek, number of days in Namibia, outfitter address and contact number (basically everything that is on the outfitter's invitation letter to the client). This NEEDS to be done prior to 14 days before arriving into Namibia so that the consulate here in the US may notify Windhoek prior to client's arrival.

The Namibian Embassy in the USA contact info is:
info@namibiaembassyusa.org
P 1(202)986-0540
F 1(202)986-0443

Hope this helps make things easier for those looking to go on safari in Namibia soon!

Sounds like a potential nightmare to me! Where would one go in Africa to get a test for the return flight to the USA and how long would it take to get an appointment to get a test and then the results?

Sounds like a potential nightmare to me! Where would one go in Africa to get a test for the return flight to the USA and how long would it take to get an appointment to get a test and then the results?

There are other routes to get to Namibia and other countries here....people are doing it ...going to involve preparation but its possible....and we all need any of you who can to come....Ethiopian fly to Windhoek as well as other countries here and it doesn't involve flying through UAE's airports....Ethiopian has just opened a brand new terminal at Addis abbaba ...

Actually- as the old saying goes: “Proper planning prevents poor performance “. I will be with my business partner, Jacques Spamer of @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS, leopard hunting. We won’t be far to get back to Windhoek to get to a private clinic for me to test on day 5. He is also with clients in Bushmanland in November and there are already places there to test. So it is very doable. Just going to take a lil more effort and patience than usual. Jacques is really making a go of it and yes, the outfitters need as much possible support as they can get this year- so if you’re able to go- GO!!!! There are many good deals on this forum. I know that he may have a few more possibilities of hunts available, so let me know if you’re interested.

I’m flying Qatar Airways. From what I understand- and believe me- I’ve researched this to no end (as well as use Lori @TRAVEL EXPRESS which is of immense help)- Qatar and Ethiopian are really the only 2 viable options for those from the US. Again, let me know if you’re considering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like with these further discussions and specific testing details, it may not be so difficult? Thanks!

Sounds like with these further discussions and specific testing details, it may not be so difficult? Thanks!

I think people are over thinking it a bit...not saying it's easy, but not that difficult with a bit of planning....first here we get you the letter as I showed on another thread ...you fill in online evisa application...on arrival fill in form before arrival and then temperature check and covid test document checked and on your way ..and I can't see the other countries being too much different...they wanting people to come...so you all had better try and hook up with the great deals we are putting out in our different countries over here....most are one offs... (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg