Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Black Sheep Bowmen Archery Club.
Hunted
Namibia and South Africa
Well, I'd love to have a report of a succesfully hunted eland including a report on broadhead performance but things didn't work out that way. We hunted the first 4 1/2 days for springbok and black wildebeest with one great shot at a nice springbok on day two that went all wrong when the arrow hit something leaving the blind and somersaulted over the 'bok's back. It didn't spook too bad and I could have taken him with a rifle from 100 or so yards for an hour but we were hoping for another bow shot. No luck. On day 5 in the early morning I finally got one more coming in and the wind started doing all kinds of evil so at 50 yards my 30-06 did the trick nicely. Black wildebeest just would not come into water in daylight, period. We had a camera watching the waterhole and they like midnight watering. So we did a few stalks and got busted a lot when the cover ran out until I got a 220 yard shot on a decent bull with my rifle. Then onto eland and steenbok. Well I can now say I've seen a lot of steenbok, but aside from one ewe, none for long enough to get a shot. There was a lot of " there's one... Ram!" and then it was gone. As for eland, they never showed at water in daylight for a bowcshot on three different waterholes with trail cams. Lots of night shots of bulls. Frustrating. We hunted on foot with rifle too and we saw them briefly two different times but the dry conditions and brush made stalks tough, with them disappearing before a good shot ever happened. Originally the plan was for nine days of hunting and three touring Etosha NP. Well hunting ended up being tough for eland and steens and I hunted the whole twelve. On my last day we switched gears and went after a nice mature kudu we'd seen chasing the ladies around a waterhole a couple different times and although I'd hoped to get a bow shot he wasn't staying still or within bow range and I finally got a decent rifle shot at 80-90 yards as he was moving in between bushes chasing a cow. We saw a lot of kudu and I took a nice one in '13, but they are always impressive every time I see one. That was on day 12! It wasn't that game didn't exist, I saw plenty including some Damara dik-dik one day that passed the blind by feet, but what we wanted just played hard to get. That is hunting and I loved every frustrating minute of it.
20160508_161926.jpg
20160514_050230.jpg
20160528_212240.jpg

That is hunting and I loved every frustrating minute of it.

Words from only a true hunter. Good mature kudu bull. Congrats.

I think you said it correctly, you had a 12 day hunt, not a 12 day shoot fest. Good looking animals regardless, especially the kudu. Congratulations on a true hunt!!!

Some fine trophies, congrats!

You always appreciate the trophies that you work hardest for. Nice kudu. Bruce

Thanks for sharing your hunt.

That's dedication. Making a plan and then a new plan and working hard.

Congratulations on a tough hunt.

Thanks for sharing. Where did you hunt?

I hunted with the folks at Windpoort Farm again, in between Outjo and Etosha NP. This is my second hunt with them, the first in '13 was my first in southern Africa for the 'usual suspects' so this go I had more specific goals. The weather being unseasonably hot (around 90 F at least one day) and drought conditions this time added to the challenge.

Thanks for sharing.

Tough hunting is good hunting in my mind. Sounds like you had a good hunt to me.

Thank you for sharing the report!

Thanks for the hunt report! That is beautiful kudu!

Thats real hunting mate !
Beats the shit out of shooting 20 animals in 12 days behind a fence !
( I know , I know , my opinion only )
You mentioned the heat and the drought Ryan .
What time of year were you there and how are they getting on with the lack of wet stuff ??
Nice Kudu mate .
Cheers Dory .

Early to mid May. I think the first day hunting was the 6th.

Beautiful kudu...love the springbok too!

Congrats on a great hunt !

Very nice animals. It is always more challenging when trying with the bow. Especially going for black wildebeest and springbuck who like the wide open spaces. But you have to put in the time, persevere and stay flexible just like you did! I'll follow your same plan in 6 weeks. That is good, hard hunting. Well done!

I enjoy hunting, I gave up being being too concerned about which weapon I had to use. I'm very capable with both and will continue to use whichever works best for the situation and my preference. If I head over again in a few years for an eland I'll probably just take the bow and use a hire rifle, my hosts had a classic 300 H&H I'd happily carry. Travelling with one is getting to be crazy.
As an aside, I got a copy of my license with initial measurements. As a gauge of things I added things up for SCI scores. The springbok is a silver class, the black wildebeest is bronze, and the kudu missed SCI by less than an inch at 50 inches on his long side. They're all mature and I sure as heck not complaining or losing sleep over numbers, just nice to compare.

They are all nice trophies! Really good shape on the Kudu which to me is just as important as the tape. I'd be very happy with all, especially since of the 9 African animals I have taken I don't have a kudu, black wildebeest or a springbuck. I am doing exactly what you said in ur last post. Just taking the bow and will use my PH's or a co hunters rifle if needed.

Thats real hunting mate !
Beats the shit out of shooting 20 animals in 12 days behind a fence !
( I know , I know , my opinion only )
You mentioned the heat and the drought Ryan .
What time of year were you there and how are they getting on with the lack of wet stuff ??
Nice Kudu mate .
Cheers Dory .
I just noticed the question about the drought. The drought is keeping the grass low to non-existant on the flats where I was at. They usually hunted eland by spotting them from the hills around the flats and then stalking them. The grass still existed in the rockier hills but seeing anything at eye level in the scrub and stalking quietly was far more difficult on rock than the clay of the flats.

Thanks for sharing and congrats on the trophies you got.

If hunting wasn't challenging, it wouldn't be half as fun. Now you have a great reason to go back to Africa again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinPr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!