Namibia Rains!

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Breaking news!

Rivers are running, farmers are smiling and there is a good inflow into the dams

Dirk Heinrich

The Seeis and Nossob Rivers,east of Windhoek are carrying water, the Schaaf River east of Rehoboth is running and the Tsauchab River south of the Naukluft Mountains in the south of the country is blocking traffic and the Zebra River is also in flood.

Sedan vehicles will not be able to use the D850 but 4x4s will be able to get through. The Fish River is also in flood near Kalkrand. These are some of the reports we received from farmers, together with their rainfall figures of the last 24 hours ending 8:00 this morning, 10 February 2017.

Some of the dams in the country had some welcomed inflow since Monday this week. NamWater announced that the Von Bach Dam received over 5,003 million cubic metres of water and that the dam level rose from 15,8 percentage to 26,2 % this morning.

The Swakoppoort is still on 5,7 % of full capacity, meaning no inflow was recorded. The Omatako Dam received 0,872 million/m³ and now stands at 5,3 %. From 23,0% to 26,1% was the level increase of the Friedenau Dam, west of Windhoek. This dam is not connected to the Windhoek water supply.

The Naute Dam in the south near Keetmanshoop rose from 76,7 % to 83,8 % after nearly 5 million/m³ reached the dam. The Oanob Dam near Rehoboth got an inflow of 4,5 million/m³ and now stands at 40,9 % (Monday: 27,6 %).

Most of the water in the last four days flowed into Namibia’s biggest dam, the Hardap Dam at Mariental. More than 8,6 million/m³ were brought from the catchment area by the Fish River into the Hardap Dam and the level rose from 38,2 % to 41,2 % this morning. NamWater informed that still 34 cubic meters per second are reaching the dam.

From the Paradise Rest Camp 80 kilometres north of Grootfontein the news came, that the pan is filling up with water coming with the Omuramba from Maroela boom and Nukuwis. 2500 hectare of 5000 hectare is under water already.

The Camping spot is like a peninsula and if Marina and Christo Wilhelm want to go home, they have to use a boat to cross the 3km from the Rest Camp to their home.

Since the beginning of the rainy season they had 430 millimetres of rain.
The farm Okatjosonjieva near Steinhausen had rain for the whole week. Between 6 mm and 20 mm of rain was recorded each day.
The following rainfall figures were received for the period Thursday 8:00 until Friday morning 8:00 hours:

Windhoek:

Aris (South of Windhoek) 33 mm
Eros, Outeniquastr. 25 mm
Harmony Mountain Village 28 mm
Klein Windhoek 28 mm
Near Kappsfarm 40 mm
Out of Nature
(South of Windhoek) 35 mm
Suiderhof 40 mm
Windhoek Wes 29mm
Elesenheim 37mm

Other parts of the country:

Ankerplatz (near Gamsberg) 40mm
Cowdray (Uhlenhorst) 62 mm
Dabis Guestfarm (Helmeringhausen) 48 mm
Silversaand (Seeis) 23 mm
Tsauchab River Camping (Naukluft) 15 - 20 mm
Zebra River Lodge (near Naukluft) 32 mm
Wiese (East of Rehoboth) 70 -79 mm

The Tsauchab River, near Tsauchab River Camping, south of the Naukluft mountains this morning.
16681620_1778105368882111_1797510662478730038_n.jpg
16683810_1778105345548780_1270054352563937262_n.jpg
16640860_1778105358882112_1509261864056698256_n.jpg

Rain is a beautiful thing!

I wonder what Victoria falls is looking like during the rainy season? A long way from Nambia but I bet the rains have made the flow of the Zambezi amazing.

Great to hear some of the dams are getting some water in them.

I wonder what Victoria falls is looking like during the rainy season? A long way from Nambia but I bet the rains have made the flow of the Zambezi amazing.

technically it is only 65Km from Namibia, but I know what you mean. ;)

If they got rain upstream I'll bet there is some thunder.

Charlie,

It is hard to see the falls at high flow, due to their shape and the mist. The sound and mist are majestic but viewing is much better after the heavy flow.

ps: Never done a helicopter tour but that is probably spectacular during high flow, but I still doubt you could see much of the face of the falls.

Heavy Flow
upload_2017-2-10_10-15-27.png

Low Flow

upload_2017-2-10_10-15-51.png

Something in the middle of these two photos is probably best.

Message from my friends in the Outjo area is they've had 90 mm so far.
Here's a pic off the front porch at Windpoort Farm.

IMG-20170210-WA0000.jpeg

Outstanding, praying it continues. Please share with RSA too! I was there in October and it was way too dry there.

Outstanding, praying it continues. Please share with RSA too! I was there in October and it was way too dry there.

Actually they have been getting quite a bit of rain in the areas where Pieter hunts. Two small rivers that at one bend are something like two hundred meters apart were actually flowing as one a couple of weeks ago!
The rain needs to continue for sure. I also understand from another friend near Hudespruit that the Oliphants river is flowing quite well.
They need the rain and so does our southeast region in the US.

Does anyone know whether these rainfall numbers in line with average for the season?

Great to hear they are getting some rain.

There is nothing more welcome than rain after along dry spell. Hooray!

Charlie,

It is hard to see the falls at high flow, due to their shape and the mist. The sound and mist are majestic but viewing is much better after the heavy flow.

ps: Never done a helicopter tour but that is probably spectacular during high flow, but I still doubt you could see much of the face of the falls.

Heavy Flow
View attachment 172342

Low Flow

View attachment 172343

Something in the middle of these two photos is probably best.

I flew into Vic Falls in 99 and the view from the plane was spectacular. I remember it in my mind as more mist than you show even, which could certainly be angle, distance, or faulty memory.

Thanks for sharing Bob!

I talked with may Namibia outfitter today and he said they have and still getting good rains. Plus pieters areas in Sa have had plenty of good rain so far and still getting some also. Grass and bush has green up and animals doing well.

I hope all the areas get enough to break the drought they all had over the last few years.

If they could get good solid rains each week for a few months. When green those areas are beautiful. I'll bet that the animals are ready for green stuff to eat. Bruce

I am from dry West Texas so this means something, there is nothing like a good rain in Namibia! Wow that is a beautiful country when it rains!
Regards,
Philip

Breaking news!

Rivers are running, farmers are smiling and there is a good inflow into the dams

Dirk Heinrich

The Seeis and Nossob Rivers,east of Windhoek are carrying water, the Schaaf River east of Rehoboth is running and the Tsauchab River south of the Naukluft Mountains in the south of the country is blocking traffic and the Zebra River is also in flood.

Sedan vehicles will not be able to use the D850 but 4x4s will be able to get through. The Fish River is also in flood near Kalkrand. These are some of the reports we received from farmers, together with their rainfall figures of the last 24 hours ending 8:00 this morning, 10 February 2017.

Some of the dams in the country had some welcomed inflow since Monday this week. NamWater announced that the Von Bach Dam received over 5,003 million cubic metres of water and that the dam level rose from 15,8 percentage to 26,2 % this morning.

The Swakoppoort is still on 5,7 % of full capacity, meaning no inflow was recorded. The Omatako Dam received 0,872 million/m³ and now stands at 5,3 %. From 23,0% to 26,1% was the level increase of the Friedenau Dam, west of Windhoek. This dam is not connected to the Windhoek water supply.

The Naute Dam in the south near Keetmanshoop rose from 76,7 % to 83,8 % after nearly 5 million/m³ reached the dam. The Oanob Dam near Rehoboth got an inflow of 4,5 million/m³ and now stands at 40,9 % (Monday: 27,6 %).

Most of the water in the last four days flowed into Namibia’s biggest dam, the Hardap Dam at Mariental. More than 8,6 million/m³ were brought from the catchment area by the Fish River into the Hardap Dam and the level rose from 38,2 % to 41,2 % this morning. NamWater informed that still 34 cubic meters per second are reaching the dam.

From the Paradise Rest Camp 80 kilometres north of Grootfontein the news came, that the pan is filling up with water coming with the Omuramba from Maroela boom and Nukuwis. 2500 hectare of 5000 hectare is under water already.

The Camping spot is like a peninsula and if Marina and Christo Wilhelm want to go home, they have to use a boat to cross the 3km from the Rest Camp to their home.

Since the beginning of the rainy season they had 430 millimetres of rain.
The farm Okatjosonjieva near Steinhausen had rain for the whole week. Between 6 mm and 20 mm of rain was recorded each day.
The following rainfall figures were received for the period Thursday 8:00 until Friday morning 8:00 hours:

Windhoek:

Aris (South of Windhoek) 33 mm
Eros, Outeniquastr. 25 mm
Harmony Mountain Village 28 mm
Klein Windhoek 28 mm
Near Kappsfarm 40 mm
Out of Nature
(South of Windhoek) 35 mm
Suiderhof 40 mm
Windhoek Wes 29mm
Elesenheim 37mm

Other parts of the country:

Ankerplatz (near Gamsberg) 40mm
Cowdray (Uhlenhorst) 62 mm
Dabis Guestfarm (Helmeringhausen) 48 mm
Silversaand (Seeis) 23 mm
Tsauchab River Camping (Naukluft) 15 - 20 mm
Zebra River Lodge (near Naukluft) 32 mm
Wiese (East of Rehoboth) 70 -79 mm

The Tsauchab River, near Tsauchab River Camping, south of the Naukluft mountains this morning.
View attachment 172336 View attachment 172337 View attachment 172338
Thank you for the report..They were hurting for awhile

So glad to hear this report! Thanks. Funny thing was that I was just going to poise the question on this topic when I saw this thread.
Does the grass seem to be germinating? South of Etosha last June there was just dust.

Does anyone know whether these rainfall numbers in line with average for the season?
Best I can see is that an average rainy season in Windhoek will drop 500 mm of water. As noted above some ares are already above 400mm so looks good for the area. There is 60mm so far in Windhoek for this month and the average for Feb. is about 90mm. I had some trouble finding this data, anyone with better please weigh in.

Best I can see is that an average rainy season in Windhoek will drop 500 mm of water. As noted above some ares are already above 400mm so looks good for the area. There is 60mm so far in Windhoek for this month and the average for Feb. is about 90mm. I had some trouble finding this data, anyone with better please weigh in.

Thank you for sharing. Let's just hope they get well above the average 500mm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.