NAMIBIA: Plains Game Hunt With Aru Game Lodges

Laniarius

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH)
Hunted
Ontario, Namibia, Alaska
I’d like to share a review of my 10-day Namibia plains game hunt in early August, 2021, with Aru Game Lodges. This wasn’t my first trip to Namibia, but it was my first hunt in Africa. It was everything I hoped it would be. I definitely want to go back, specifically back to Aru.

I’m following the “Brickburn list” (https://www.africahunting.com/threads/reviews-versus-reports.21827/) to make sure that I capture all the essential pieces of information.

I didn’t use an agent, I just arranged with Aru directly. I first learned about them from some shows on MOTV (originally on the Outdoor Channel, I think). There were some episodes showing hunts at Aru, and they seemed like people I would like. I subsequently used this forum to confirm that Aru has an excellent reputation, and I booked with confidence.

I was reluctant at first to get a videographer because it seemed a thing of vanity to me, but my wife convinced me that it would be good to get one for at least part of the hunt. I went with a 5 day package from iGala Productions. The videographer, Nadine, is very good at what she does and getting filmed didn’t feel “intrusive”. In particular, she is also a PH so she especially knows how to work effectively on a hunt. I have received the final video and it was very well done. I have no hesitation recommending iGala.

I hunted at both of Aru’s lodges, starting at Veronica for a few days, then moving to Kalakwa for the remainder. My PHs were Gysbert van der Westhuyzen and Benjamin Skrywer. Both did an excellent job. They focus on stalking as close as possible to the animals, and my shots on antelopes were at about 100-150 yards.

I ended up piggybacking this trip with some work trips to other countries, so I had to use a lodge rifle. I used a Sauer 202 in .308 with a Leupold VX-R 3-9x, shooting S&B 180 grain soft points. I’ve only owned CRF Ruger Hawkeye and Winchester Model 70 bolt action rifles, but I really liked the Sauer 202. It handled well and, judging by eye from a couple of groups off the bench, it shot about minute-of-angle.

Veronica has flat to gently rolling topography, and is mostly grass covered sand but with some worn limestone outcrops. At Veronica, I took springbok, gemsbok and sand grouse. The springbok and gemsbok are abundant, and I also saw blue wildebeest, zebra and giraffe. Memorable birds included yellow-billed hornbill, red-eyed bullbull and crimson-breasted shrike.

1651610112666.png

I absolutely love the trees at Veronica, although they are sparse as one would expect at the edge of the Kalahari. They were primarily camelthorn, but my favourite was the shepherd’s tree, which has a whitish bark that is almost magical in the shimmering sun.

I took the springbok first, at about 70 yards after a short stalk. We saw the opportunity for the lone ram while looking for gemsbok. It scored 94 cm by the criteria of the Namibia Professional Hunting Association (NAPHA), which is a “Bronze Medal”.

1651610274152.jpeg

I’m mentioning these scoring details to include “trophy quality” information. I went into this hunt without any trophy “goals” in mind. I just wanted the experience, and to be able to get euro mounts and skins for representative, mature animals, following opportunities based on PH judgment.

The gemsbok came next, and this was the most memorable for me because it’s my favourite African animal. I have been fascinated by these things for much of my life. Gysbert skillfully led me in a stalk that included waiting for close to an hour under a tree while a small herd slowly approached. Glassing just before the final approach, I was thrilled to see the bull stand out so clearly in the herd. They came into clear view at about 100 yards, where I took the shots. The first shot was broadside and I hit the back of the lung area. It started walking in a slow circle and I followed Gysbert’s urgent order to “shoot him in the chest!”, after which he soon dropped. It scored 212 cm by NAPHA, which is a “Game Field Medal”. (Note: the blood stain in the photo, according to the PH, was from when the animal had fallen on a pool of its own blood, it was not a wound.)

1651610291429.png

The physical demand of hunting at Veronica wasn’t bad, with walks on flat ground of about 10 km per day. What I did find somewhat challenging was the crawling, both on hands and knees, and belly crawling at times. That’s just not something I’m used to.

After reading about sand grouse shooting in Capstick, I really wanted to try it. On my final morning at Veronica, we set up at a watering hole for sand grouse wingshooting. They started coming in to the hole around 10 am, which was called very accurately the night before by the PHs and trackers. I used a lodge shotgun, a Spanish made O/U in 12 ga. The PH Benjamin ID’d the species for me: Burchell's, Namaqua and Double-banded Sandgrouse.

1651610386924.jpeg

The plains at Kalakwa are less grassy and have more rock outcrops, and are draped between kopjes, ridges and small mountains. In some places you can even see ancient wave ripples in the sandstone. Plains game are also abundant at Kalakwa, including kudu, gemsbok, impala, blue wildebeest, zebra and eland. We saw leopard tracks one day. I also saw giraffe, klipspringer, steenbok, red hartebeest and waterbuck. Memorable birds included korhaan, kori bustard, ostrich and lilac-breasted roller.

My first animal taken at Kalakwa was an impala. Benjamin led us driving through the rocky hills looking for herds with rams, where we would dismount and stalk. We eventually got close enough to one herd on a hillside, with a big ram broadside at 100 yards. He ran about 20 yards downhill before piling up. It scored 144 cm by NAPHA, which is a “Gold Medal”.

1651610572751.png

It wasn’t a priority, but I had told Gysbert and Benjamin that I would like to take a baboon if possible. The opportunity came one afternoon at Kalakwa on our way to look for kudu. Benjamin spotted a troop with a big male about 200 yards off the road, and had me quickly get out of the truck, load and set up on the sticks. I hit the big male with my first shot, he went down but then got up immediately. I missed the second shot and he ran off. We found him about 30 minutes later in a thicket of thorns. He was an old baboon and missing his canines. It was a memorable opportunity and I can be confident that I removed an animal well past his prime.

I am amazed at Benjamin’s ability to spot kudu at great distance with the naked eye, basically just confirming with binoculars. The one I eventually took was on the side of a ridge, first spotted about 1 km away mid-morning. We started with a fast walk through the camel thorn trees, but closed the final 100 yards or so crawling low. As Benjamin predicted, he was still feeding in pretty much the same spot as we reached the end of available concealment. After waiting about 5 minutes crouched low to make sure the kudu wasn’t spooked, Benjamin set up the sticks and I could get up again. He was about 100 yards away, quartering to. I aimed slightly off centre on the chest and ended up getting him in the spine. The kudu scored 313 cm, which is a NAPHA “Silver Medal”.

1651610688956.png

Being up on a ridge side with numerous boulders, the closest they could get the truck was about 50 yards from the animal. Benjamin and two trackers had to skin and quarter the kudu to carry it back to the truck. It was fascinating watching how smoothly they worked and they had the whole job done in less than an hour.

I got in some pretty good climbs at Kalakwa. Walking on the rocks itself wasn’t too bad, but there was just enough grass to often make it hard to see where you’re going to plant your feet. Some of the climbs and descents were pretty steep, and I appreciated swapping the rifle for the sticks to use for balance.

I loved Kalakwa and spent more time there, but for me, Veronica was more special. There is something about the sea of Kalahari grass there that absolutely mesmerizes me.

The service and hospitality at Aru is exceptional. In addition to the PH’s, I really enjoyed conversations with the lodge staff. The fire pits are inviting and the food is great. Every meal had a few antelope species on the menu along with Namibian beef, and a variety of sides, including excellent bread.

1651610737718.png

Luxury wasn’t a criterion in my selection of outfitter. I chose Aru based on its reputation for excellent service and hunting. But the quality of lodging and food is just another reflection of Aru’s professionalism.

I have no low points to report or suggestions for improvement regarding Aru. I enjoyed every minute and would recommend Aru to a friend without hesitation.

There is one low point of the trip that I will mention as a warning for others. My route to Windhoek had me overnighting in Addis Ababa both ways. On the inbound trip, I had to put my bags through a scanner as I was leaving the airport to get a ride to the hotel. I was extremely surprised to hear “Binocular! Binocular!” from the security staff and I was pulled aside and told that I cannot enter the country with them. Fortunately, a very helpful lady from the airline had accompanied me to the exit, and she spoke with the security staff for me. I had to check in the binoculars overnight in a large room with lots of other checked bags, etc. Retrieving them the next morning wasn’t a problem, I just had to show my receipt and go get them, but it added at least half an hour because the storage room was in the Arrivals section of the airport and I then had to find my way to Departures.

I have flown into a dozen countries with binoculars in my carry on and never had a problem. In discussion with another Aru guest who was familiar with that part of Africa, I was told that most likely there was concern about unauthorized import of optics for military use. I don’t know if binoculars are specifically a controlled item in Ethiopia, or if the security staff were just being a bit overzealous with regard to a pair of 8x42 sport binoculars. I decided that I just didn’t want to deal with this again on my way out, and took the opportunity to leave the binoculars behind as part of my tip.

Attachments

• 1651609767853.png
    1651609767853.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:
How many species did you intend to harvest In 10 days?
I went into it planning on four species (not including the sand grouse). My minimum goal was to take a gemsbok, and a kudu if possible. Then I wanted to hunt one or two of springbok, impala and baboon. So I basically went one animal over "budget". For a stretch of a few days, I just wasn't connecting on kudu so we we went after impala to change the pace. Then after getting the impala, I still wanted a kudu.

Thanks for report. I never would have imagined an issue with binoculars anywhere. How was hotel in Ethiopia? I never heard of anyone overnighting there in route to Southern Africa.

The hotels were fine, I daresay with a bit old world charm in the architecture. The rooms were comfortable and clean. A buffet dinner was provided even coming in around 11:30 pm as I did on the inbound trip. The hotels were provided by Ethiopian Airlines and they coordinated the ride. Waiting for the ride was a bit annoying late in the evening but no issues.

Last edited:
What a fun hunt and a fine report! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Sounds like you had a great hunt. Congrats on your animals. Nice pics.
Bruce

Thanks for a really nice report. I think I hunted near the Aru location in the Kalahari. That is a beautiful environment. Thanks again for an excellent read. Your friend, Brian

Congratulations on your success and thanks for a well written report.

Congrats on your hunt, and thanks for sharing !

Sounds and looks like a great hunt. Congratulations.

@Laniarius ...............I am admittedly late in seeing your fine report. This is the first one I have read regarding Aru lodge. I conversed with them several times this year, and almost booked there, but eventually decided on another venue. All went well. Aru looked to be a very elegant and well managed place to have a hunt, but there are many options, and my choice turned out to be great also. I will strongly consider them for another time, though, based upon your report. Fine trophies......good shooting..............'grats............FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross