Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
Hunted
USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
Folks I would like to share my hunt with Roy van der Merwe at Otjandaue Hunting Safaris Namibia It’s been a busy year so I’m running a little late with the report.

To start out I would like to say Thanks to Roy and Janet for a wonderful time and making Deb and I feel so welcome. You see in 2010 I did my first hunt to South Africa for my 55th Birthday and I’ve been back to South Africa several times Sense but I have never been to Namibia and had been talking to Roy for several year about doing a hunt with him. Yeah sometimes it takes me that long just to talk myself into cutting loose of some of those retirement fund which made this hunt kind of special due to the fact that it would start what was not only my 62nd Birthday but the very first day of being fully retired 2 June 2017.

This was just to be a 5 day hunt to get our feet wet only had 2 animals on the list a Damara Dik Dik for me and a Mountain Zebra for Deb. Well we arrived in Windhoek late night on the 31st of May Roy and his Daughter were there at the airport to meet us as we came in, and because it was so late Roy had Organized and overnight stay at a bed and breakfast there in the Windhoek area so we got settled in and got some rest from a very long flight. The Next morning Deb and I got up and walked down to the eating area to have Breakfast and coffee and the good lord knows I need my coffee. By the time we got back to the room Roy and his daughter were waiting on us so we loaded up and headed out to Roy’s place at Otjandaue Hunting Safaris on the at Otjandaue River I laugh when I say that because this time of year it is dry and they use it for a road but I only recommend crossing it at well packed areas in anything other then a 4 wheel drive.

upload_2018-2-17_13-46-48.png

We arrived at Roy’s about mid day so we got settled in to our room and had lunch. After lunch Roy took us for a ride around the place to show us what it was like, lots of thick brush but none of those rocky mountains we were climbing on the Eastern Cape. When we got back to the lodge Roy got out the rifles we would be using, as I hate the hassle of bringing rifles through Customs so most times we just use the loan of a rifle. I would be hunting with a 22 Mag and Deb would be packing Roy’s 30-06 and we went to the range to get familiar with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to the rest of your report Bob.

Look forward to more! Roy has been on my radar for some time now!

Look forward to more! Roy has been on my radar for some time now!
I do Highly recommend him, I'm already planning my next trip back.

So the next morning we’re up having Breakfast 2 June and it’s my birthday and Damara Dik Dik is first on the list Dik Dik is number 7 of my tiny 10 and I am really looking forward to the hunt because just driving around the day before we had seen several.
DSCN2076.JPG

Well we spend the day spotting and stalking them but it seemed just as I was getting ready to take the shot it would dive back into the brush and it was gone. And this went on for a couple of days but is was worth the ride as we were seeing lots of other game to include Black Back Jackal in the middle of the day no less Something I never seen on the Eastern Cape, there we hunted them at night and I still didn’t get one Oh I would see them but they would see me as well.
DSCN2056.JPG

Oh boy, I can't wait to see more picture and stories of the hunt!

Well after 2 days of stalking Dik Dik and we were seeing plenty in fact I had one good one that must have been well educated, he had two females with him and when they spotted us they would walk straight away with both females between him and I to make sure I didn’t have a shot, then they would get to a good spot and take a dead run for the brush. They pulled that one on me twice. So the fist 2 days turned out to be a stalking and game viewing days.
DSCN2047.JPG
DSCN2048.JPG
DSCN2049.JPG
DSCN2053.JPG
DSCN2054.JPG
DSCN2059.JPG
DSCN2065.JPG

So on the 3rd day we decide to give them a break and go for Deb’s Mountain Zebra. We drove around and were seeing them but they were staying in the bush where Deb couldn’t get a good clean shot. Then all at once they run out in to the trail and stood looking at us yeah they were bunched so Deb couldn’t get a clean shot without possibly getting another so we just stood there waiting that’s when the Tracker decided he would help now I’m sure he meant well but as you can Guess it didn’t turn out well. The Tracker decided to start whistling to get them to move a little so they would spread out, well they moved alright at a dead run for that stinking thick brush not to be seen again for 2 days. Again another great day for animal viewing and seeing the scenery in Namibia.

DSCN2058.JPG
DSCN2060.JPG
DSCN2062.JPG
DSCN2063.JPG

Great start Bobby!

Glad to see you starting to catch up and post here again.

Well we’re on day 4 of our 5 day hunt and I’m back looking for Dik Dik and like I said we’re seeing plenty by now I had already counted 5 really good males and I lost count on the females plus Steenbok and common Duiker now don’t get me wrong I’m having a blast doing these stalks there’s nothing like getting the adrenaline going while your stalking through the brush and come upon some fresh Leopard tracks gets you to watching your backside as well.
Well we aren’t 5 minutes out of camp when the tracker signals that he thought he seen one in the brush so we park and start the stalk. Now I’ve been practicing shooting that 22 Mag at 50 to 60 yards and that thing could shoot what I didn’t expect was to walk through the brush and walk up on him at 10 feet! Yeah he just stood there like I couldn’t see him so I take aim squeeze the trigger and that’s where I messed up! You see I didn’t take into consideration at that distance the height of the scope from the barrel oh I had the scope aimed for the heart shot but at 10 feet I hit 1.5 inches below my aiming point and for those of you that know the size of these little buggers that’s dang near a miss. Well I did draw blood so the tracker got on the trail and Roy turned his dog lose to help find it, Now you talk about a well trained dog that Dik Dik was wounded and hadn’t gone 30 yards to a rock out cropping to hide from us and just about the time the tracker spotted it the dog did too. Now I get real worried about dogs getting a hold of these little trophies but he did exactly what he had been trained to do he ran up and grabbed the Dik Dik pinning it to the ground no biting no shaking no chewing just held it so it couldn’t get away until I got there to finish what I had started. Oh Happy Days number 7 of my tiny ten is in the salt.
Damara DikDik.jpg

So It's back to the lodge to get it put in the salt have lunch and head back out for Deb's Zebra.

That looks to be a very good one you took Bob and you worked for him. Sounds like you found out Namibia is as bad as SA with wanting to get back to hunt again after being there.

That looks to be a very good one you took Bob and you worked for him. Sounds like you found out Namibia is as bad as SA with wanting to get back to hunt again after being there.
Yes I'm afraid so.

Congratulations on your Damara Dik Dik!

Thanks for sharing!

R.

Well after lunch we head out to do some stalking and this time we’re headed to a part of the farm that has no roads through it so it’s a walk and stalk hunt this afternoon. Well we spent the afternoon literally in the bush, we were seeing Gemsbok, Springbok, Impala warthogs all kinds of critters ah but no Zebra and Roy was trying hard to get her one. Now I had added Springbok to my list in the event we finish our list, because Roy had taken some in the area in the 17 and 18 inch size and at Roy’s trophy prices I’d be stupid not to. Well the afternoon was about gone when we got back to the truck so we headed back to the lodge to get cleaned up as there were going to be some friends and family joining us at the fire tonight for a few cold ones and after all that walking I could use a few cold ones :D Beer Bottle:. Well on the way back we keep spotting Jackal running everywhere and I mention to Roy that I had never gotten one so he said well if one gives us the chance I’ll let you take it. No sooner said then one runs in to the trail and stops to see what we were. Roy stops the truck and says take that one all the time the tracker in the back of the truck with Deb is telling her to shoot, Deb lets him know the Jackal is for me. So I ease out of the truck and take a few steps to get a better shot and I can’t believe it he’s just standing there looking at me like he was wondering if he should try a taste me to see if I was edible or run like hell! Well he didn’t get the chance to find out and Thank goodness he was standing at about 50 yard one shot down right in the spot he was standing. So after all these years trying to get one working my butt off not to even get a shot this one walks out and commits suicide. :P Elmer Fudd:

Black Back Jackal.jpg

Well Folks it’s Day five of our 5 day hunt and Deb’s Zebra is still on the list not saying that if that big Springbok walks out I’m not going to grab the rifle from Deb and do some more shooting myself! Well we head out and in no time at all we’re back on the Zebra. Now I’m going to let you know for the pass 4 days I’ve for the most part been sitting in the Back of the Bakkie breathing all that dry dust and every allergy I had was kicking my butt full force. I was coughing choking and sneezing so when we spot the Zebra again I tell Deb You Go with Roy I’m going to stay here at the truck, so needless to say No Pictures. Roy and Deb got on them several times but it always seemed to be a frontal shot and with it being our last day Roy just didn’t want to take the chance of a wounded animal and us not able to recover it before we left. So we head back that evening to eat dinner and pack our bags, but we’re already planning a trip back for Deb’s Mountain Zebra and my Springbok but to add a little kicker to it, it seems that Namibia has a free Range Migrating heard of Springbok that follow the grasses with a very good chance of an 18 inch Kalahari Springbok. Toss in some Beach and Ocean Fishing some dune buggy riding and it sounds like a plan.

Next morning we say our good-byes and it’s off to the Airport and Cape Town for a few days of touring.

Well we get to Cape town the Morning of the 6th of June 2017 a day I will not soon forget as that afternoon the biggest storm that has hit Cape Town in 30 years Hits and Deb and I get there just in time to see the worst of it. The waves were so strong that they came in over the beach and would drag cars off the road back into the ocean yes it was bad. But After that things started looking up we did some tours of Cape town, the Mandela Tour and a tour that the tour Guide and I really enjoyed were we went down and tried some of that home made beer that only the old lady had the recipe as well as a tour down to Point hope and then to see the Jackass penguins.
20170608_115226Point Hope.jpg
Tour beer tasting.jpg
jackass penguins.jpg
Cape Town.jpg

As you can See by the pics the tour guide and I went back a couple of times to sample the beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Folks That's about It Hope you enjoyed. Oh Wait this is only 9 June Heck we leave in the morning to the East Cape "East London" to meet up with my Good Friend Wes (Buff-Buster) and his awesome family for a 7 day hunt ah but that's another story! :E Happy::D Beer Bottle:

Congrats on the dik dik, it's a beautiful trophy! I usually blast a black-backed jackal with a soft point bullet, yours will be nice as a rug or full mount.

Glad you got time to write this up. Sounds like it was a lot of fun. Too bad your wife was unable to connect on a Zebra. Next time. Was great to chat at SCI.
Bruce

Have hunted Namibia three times - from the Caprivi to the Erongo Mountains to Derk de Bod's place near Windhoek. It is definitely worth more than five days. Lovely Dik-Dik. Hope you go back.

Glad you got to hunt Namibia. Hope you make it back soon.

Thanks for putting the report together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg