Namibia - No More CITES Permits for Leopard in 2009

pinotguy

AH senior member
Reaction score
Just saw this news yesterday: The Namibian MET has placed a moratorium on issuing CITES Export Permits for the remainder of 2009 on Leopard. Apparently, the Export Quota assigned to Namibia (250 Leopard per year) has been reached, which is the reason for this course of action.

It seems this problem stems from the quota being exceeded for 2008 and the excess was rolled-over into this year. Because of this, the actual number of permits issued for 2009 was less than 250. You can still hunt Leopard there this year but, unless your outfitter/PH had already applied for a permit, you won't be able to export the trophy until next year at the earliest. (Of course this only applies to Trophy Leopard, not PAC hunts.)

Hope a trend isn't developing here as I was very close to booking a Leopard hunt in Namibia for 2010. Now I am a little less enthusiastic.

If anyone here has any further info., it would be great to hear.

Leopard Hunting Permit Issuance Halted In Namibia For The Remainder Of 2009

Leopard Hunting Permit Issuance Halted In Namibia For The Remainder Of 2009

Without previous notice, the Namibian Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET) has stopped issuing Leopard hunting permits for the rest of the 2009 hunting season in Namibia, just as they did with Cheetah earlier this year.

The news came from the Namibia Professional Hunting Association (NAPHA) effective June 15th, 2009.

If you are booked on a Leopard hunt in Namibia for this 2009 hunting season, make sure to contact your hunting outfitter or booking agent to find out what your options are and if your hunting outfitter has applied and already received a Leopard hunting permit for you.

Jerome,
Is the "hunting" outlawed or just the current "exportation". I had this similar issue about 5 years ago, and it just delayed the shipment of my cat for a couple months, until the export permit was issued. I have 2 clients booked for leopard for next month, but we are unclear if the hunting permit is the issue or the export permit. Any info would be appreciated.

Kevin Koeshall

Kevin, the only way you will be able to export a leopard is if you CITES permit secured for 2009. You can go leopard hunting but will have to wait until 2010 to secure a CITES permit. They have meet there quota already this year and I'm guess next years permits are going to go fast because people are still hunting hard this year for leopards. The future is not bright. People are hunting the leopards faster than they are getting the permits. The law of supply and demand is going to come to a head...very quickly!

Kevin, The issue is actually with the Leopard hunting permit itself. It is still legal to hunt Leopard in Namibia and the exportation is still active if you have a hunting permit for a Leopard already in hand.

As from June 15 Namibia stopped issuing Leopard hunting permits. Leopards will be hunted for the remainder of the hunting season in Namibia, but only for individuals who have already applied for and received their Leopard hunting permit. So it really comes down to the hunting outfitter, did he already apply for and receive the hunting permits for your clients? If so then your clients are allowed to legally hunt a Leopard.

With the hunting permit your client can legally hunt his Leopard and once he has taken it the CITES export permit can be issued to export his trophy.

It is illegal however to hunt a Leopard and apply for a hunting permit afterward. A Leopard hunting permit has to be issued at least 8 days prior to the hunt taking place.

Jerome,
Thank you very much for the clarification. The Hunting Report is incorrect in what they are passing on, and confusing many people. I had the same understanding that you have. It is all about the Hunting Permit, and if you do not already have one, you can not hunt leopard.

Thank you for your assistance. Great site, and soon to be a marketing direction for my companies. Very impressive.

TO clarify

So as long as your ok with not being able to get it shipped back till the spring everything should be ok, if you shoot a leopard in namibia in 2009? I'm just a curious hunter, who's got friends going to Namibia in august.

Hunters whose hunting outfitters have already applied and received a Leopard hunting permit in their name for this 2009 hunting season will be able to take a Leopard this year in Namibia. If a Leopard is taken with the legal hunting permit issued prior to the cut off date, a CITES export permit can then be issued for the trophy to be exported during 2009 or 2010 whatever the case may be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross