DCH Hunting

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zim, SA, Nam, Bots, Canada, Germany, Moz, Tanzania,
1 Million Hectares ( 500 x 200km ) of unspoiled wilderness in the far East of Namibia against the Botswana border, that is the Nyae Naye Conservancy. Its an area seldom seen, seldom visited and wild. Nyae Naye borders on the Kaudom National Park in the North, Botswana in the East, millions of unfenced wilderness, only a handful of San hunter gatherers still inhabit this area as they had for thousands of years.

Naye Naye was hunted and managed by Mr Kai Uwe Denker in the early 2000's ( 2002 - 2011) and for the last 9 years by Mr Stephan Jacobs, ( SMJ Safaris.com ). Stephan, is a remarkable hunter and conservationist. In 2019 Mr Jacobs won the CIC Edmond Blanc Conservation Award (www.cic-wildlife.org). During the ceremony of the 66th General Assembly, the Edmond Blanc Prize was given to the Nyae Nyae Conservancy, its people and Mr Jacobs. This honour and recognition was awarded to Mr Jacobs for his work as a Professional Hunter within the conservancy. Highlighted was the changes made since 2012, in the Conservancy, with particular mention of the use of designated areas specifically for the purposes of hunting and sustainable use of Wildlife. Nyae Nyae’s dedication to the use of modern hunting practices, and their adoption of hunting regulations, quotas and the re-investment of funds into the conservancy to create water points, meat distribution etc, was applauded. Naye Naye was known for 100 lb elephant and it still is!! The average weight of tusks are 75lb (each) for the last three years, with a few in the 90lb plus range.

We did not hunt elephant, but saw massive old elephant bulls with huge ivory. We came for its wildness, remoteness, true African hunting and was not disappointed.

Our party consisted of my son and I, as well as my good friend - Mr Schalk Pienaar. We were after Eland, Kudu, Springbuck and Roan -- All of them wild in this massive tract of land. We were hunting on foot with the legendary Bushman or San trackers -- the only way to really hunt African Game in my opinion. Get the spoor ( tracks ) and follow into the bush!!
Schalck and I were very excited to hunt Roan, it's one of the few places in Africa where you can hunt Southern Roan in the wild.

Our camp is built next to a massive Boabab tree, rumoured to be a 1000 years old, if you think it grows 10 feet in diameter every 100 years, it might well be!! -- See the pics!
Robert, Stephan's R hand man, is cook, camp manager, fixer of all things broken and treated us with great food in the Bush Tradition, keeping the operation in this vast area ticking over without a hitch.
Accommodation is in Meeru Style Safari tents, en-suite washing and shower facilities, with a central dining area set under the Old Boabab.

Our routine was simple, up at 06:00, breakfast, and out into the bush to return only after dark -- hunting, pure and simple.

We tracked a huge Eland bull for about 5km, in the heat of the day, found it, shot, with a nice 40m out of hand shot using a Red Dot sight.
We tracked beautiful roan bulls for km's in the bush, some got away, but we got ours with long shots, they are very awake antelope!! Often standing dead still in the shadow of a bush looking back at its pursuers and running at the first sign of danger.
We tracked Kudu, Springbok -- got them

Great care was taken with our trophies and the meat was distributed to the San villages on a rota basis, each village and small community get their quota of meat and monetary proceeds from the hunting concession and trophy fees.

All in all a great experience to cherish for years to come.

IMG_4746.jpg
IMG_4801.JPG
IMG_4804.JPG
IMG_4823.jpg
IMG_4893.jpg
IMG_4911.jpg
E_L0768z-1-683x1024.jpg
PHOTO-2020-09-14-19-26-48.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Outstanding!

When was this hunt conducted? That is a great eland, I can’t imagine a better place for a true tracking hunt with real trackers.

Well done, thanks for report and pictures.

Great summary of your hunt and the area. Thanks for sharing.

Congrats for a great hunt !

Congrats ..have they taken any elephants this year with the shutdown?

Great write up - Congrats!

Thanks for sharing!

I read about Kai Uwe Denker in "Ask the Namibian Outfitters" and he had quite a reputation for hunting elephants and clients taking 100 pounders every so often.

Nice roan, thank you for sharing. Schalk is a gentleman that I hope to hunt with one day.

Well written write up, if a little Laconic... Very nice Eland!

Thank you for sharing your story.

You have two great looking animals.

I’m sure you had a great hunt with Schalk.

We hunted toward the Middle of September 375Fox ( trot) ;);) and yes they have taken a very nice 82 lb bull about two weeks ago Safari1

1 Million Hectares ( 500 x 200km ) of unspoiled wilderness in the far East of Namibia against the Botswana border, that is the Nyae Naye Conservancy. Its an area seldom seen, seldom visited and wild. Nyae Naye borders on the Kaudom National Park in the North, Botswana in the East, millions of unfenced wilderness, only a handful of San hunter gatherers still inhabit this area as they had for thousands of years.

Naye Naye was hunted and managed by Mr Kai Uwe Denker in the early 2000's ( 2002 - 2011) and for the last 9 years by Mr Stephan Jacobs, ( SMJ Safaris.com ). Stephan, is a remarkable hunter and conservationist. In 2019 Mr Jacobs won the CIC Edmond Blanc Conservation Award (www.cic-wildlife.org). During the ceremony of the 66th General Assembly, the Edmond Blanc Prize was given to the Nyae Nyae Conservancy, its people and Mr Jacobs. This honour and recognition was awarded to Mr Jacobs for his work as a Professional Hunter within the conservancy. Highlighted was the changes made since 2012, in the Conservancy, with particular mention of the use of designated areas specifically for the purposes of hunting and sustainable use of Wildlife. Nyae Nyae’s dedication to the use of modern hunting practices, and their adoption of hunting regulations, quotas and the re-investment of funds into the conservancy to create water points, meat distribution etc, was applauded. Naye Naye was known for 100 lb elephant and it still is!! The average weight of tusks are 75lb (each) for the last three years, with a few in the 90lb plus range.

We did not hunt elephant, but saw massive old elephant bulls with huge ivory. We came for its wildness, remoteness, true African hunting and was not disappointed.

Our party consisted of my son and I, as well as my good friend - Mr Schalk Pienaar. We were after Eland, Kudu, Springbuck and Roan -- All of them wild in this massive tract of land. We were hunting on foot with the legendary Bushman or San trackers -- the only way to really hunt African Game in my opinion. Get the spoor ( tracks ) and follow into the bush!!
Schalck and I were very excited to hunt Roan, it's one of the few places in Africa where you can hunt Southern Roan in the wild.

Our camp is built next to a massive Boabab tree, rumoured to be a 1000 years old, if you think it grows 10 feet in diameter every 100 years, it might well be!! -- See the pics!
Robert, Stephan's R hand man, is cook, camp manager, fixer of all things broken and treated us with great food in the Bush Tradition, keeping the operation in this vast area ticking over without a hitch.
Accommodation is in Meeru Style Safari tents, en-suite washing and shower facilities, with a central dining area set under the Old Boabab.

Our routine was simple, up at 06:00, breakfast, and out into the bush to return only after dark -- hunting, pure and simple.

We tracked a huge Eland bull for about 5km, in the heat of the day, found it, shot, with a nice 40m out of hand shot using a Red Dot sight.
We tracked beautiful roan bulls for km's in the bush, some got away, but we got ours with long shots, they are very awake antelope!! Often standing dead still in the shadow of a bush looking back at its pursuers and running at the first sign of danger.

Great care was taken with our trophies and the meat was distributed to the San villages on a rota basis, each village and small community get their quota of meat and monetary proceeds from the hunting concession and trophy fees.

View attachment 371064View attachment 371066View attachment 371067View attachment 371068View attachment 371069View attachment 371070View attachment 371071View attachment 371072
ehhh mman its an awesome place - but indeed sir the zambezi valley down stream a paice is

View attachment 371064View attachment 371066View attachment 371067View attachment 371068View attachment 371069View attachment 371070View attachment 371071View attachment 371072
Ayyy man indeed that a awesome place - been there for a day er too on some , i say down stream a piece the great Zambezi valley is the place it was 500 ago soooclose

Well written write up, if a little Laconic... Very nice Eland!
Thanks Rick, laconic - well well. Very few readers want to read hours on a little hunting story ;);) Few words, precise, accurate and to the point.
See also my posts on hunting in Zim

Thanks for the report. Looks like a great hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross