Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA life member
Hunted
plains game
After having had to cancel my hunt for 2020 the news that Namibia had finally opened for 2021 was like an early Christmas present. Arrangements were made for airline tickets and another hunt was booked with old friends and hunting partners at Elandpro Safaris in the Otjozondjupa Region Of Namibia. Departure day was set at May 31st. and returned stateside on June 6th. The rains that had broke the drought had transformed the countryside. In 2019 everything was burnt and windblown sand. No more. The grass is lush and high. The undergrowth in the bush is green and thick! It made hunting a bit harder stalking as vision was limited and seeing the animals difficult at times. But lordy it was outstanding! With no one having hunted last year the abundance of animals was unbelievable. The down side was some species suffered and the numbers were very low. This was a low key trip this year. I took this very nice waterbuck. as well as a very nice springbok and a good impala. Tried real hard for an eland bull but they gave us the slip in the brush. Ah but next time, LOL. Getting there wasn't bad using Lufthansa flying through Frankfurt. Lots of extra paperwork due to the Covid virus but doable. The Namibians are happy to see hunters returning and even got a great reception from the trackers at Elandpro. All in all I can say it was a great trip. Great hunting, the chance to hunt with friends who are more family now than outfitter. All I can say is if the desire is there, Go! Live life and enjoy. From what I've seen and experienced, Namibia is there and waiting.

P6050020.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, glad to hear you made the trip with out issue. Nice waterbuck

Thanks much. Rather proud of that waterbuck. The folks at TWG Travel agency really made the travel arrangements seamless.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Nice! Good to see countries opening back up. The drought is rough. We are experiencing severe drought here in the southwest. Need some big monsoons, to help. The animals really need some moisture.

Very nice waterbuck, congrats! Thank you for sharing.

My pleasure sir. This was a low key trip for me. Definitely wanted that waterbuck but my springbok and impala were an added bonus. This trip was more a case of wanting to visit with my PH and his family who after all these years are more like family rather than just outfitters. The down side is after I left to come home it appears that Namibia has had a spike in Covid cases and some of the airlines have canceled flights into and out of Namibia. Here's hoping the situation changes for the better.

Congrats Rick, you got a fine Waterbuck and spent a good time with your friends in Africa !

Thanks much sir. The trip was outstanding. That waterbuck was a hard but great hunt. And yes, the best part was spending time with great people who are more than friends.

Thanks much sir. That was one of more interesting hunts I've had in Namibia. I also took this nice old solitary ram Springbok.

P6040007.JPG

COngrats on a beautiful waterbuck @Rick HOlbert ! Hope there is more coming in this hunting story!

Thanks much sir. At your request I also harvested this nice impala.

P6070023.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Arthur. Good eye! Got a problem with my right eye, a legacy of a all expense paid vacation to south east Asia many years ago. As a result nowadays I have to shoot long guns left hand. Funny thing is, this is the only LH action I own. Never had a problem shooting right hand rifles from the left side. And yes sir, that is a Zastava M70 in 9.3X62. That caliber is fast becoming my favorite medium bore round. The metal was very good although the trigger needed cleaning up, but the wood left a lot to be desired. I added a ebony forend tip and pistol grip cap. Glass bedded the action, then refinished the stock with a hand rubbed oil finish. I added a New England Custom Guns barrel band front sight with ivory like bead and a Leupold 1.25-4X VXR Firedot scope. Ah, and a Rhodesian sling from Andy's Leather shop. It just plain shoots everything into little tiny groups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg