NAMIBIA: Martin Pieters Safaris - A Troubling Experience

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by chrisd, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Michael Dean

Michael Dean AH Enthusiast

The notion that Martins won't resolve this matter because Chris decided to go public with the issue is nonsense. The limited responses by Martin are more telling than anything else. He owes the client financial reimbursement; the hunt was not what the client was promised and payed for. The notion that the client decided that the hunt would be 2x1 is nonsense. No one pays a premium for an elephant hunt and then decides to compromise the hunt by opting to go without two PH's.

At the end of the day, Pieters was in charge, it was his responsibility to make certain that the hunt went as planned. He failed to provide the hunt that was promised and the client is owed compensation.

2. robertq

robertq AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member of DSC, SCI, NRA, Rocky Mt Elk Foundation, American Hunter, Buck Masters & Ruffed Grouse Society
    Hunted:
    Russia, Argentina, Canada & South Africa
    Words well spoken!!!!!!!!

edward likes this.

3. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    This is not the first issue I've heard about involving Martin Peters.

Things go wrong from time to time. The measure of an outfitter is how the issues are resolved. Refusing to resolve if one goes public (if indeed that's what happened here) is unacceptable.

There are many great outfitters with sterling reputations in Zimbabwe. There is no reason at all to take a chance on Mr. Peters. His areas are not unique; his prices are not extraordinary; and his client relations are sub par.

That would do it for me.

edward, MT Griz, tarbe and 3 others like this.

4. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(2) New Zealand
    I'm with Royal on this one. I have seen at least 2 threads on other forums with complaints. I expect that the majority of his hunts go well. I don't have the time and money to be one of the 2% that has problems that Martin won't take care of. Too many superior operators to use to pick someone that fails to help when the crap hits the fan. Bruce

5. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    If I'm ever lucky enough to hunt that part of Africa Martin will not be considered unfortunately. Just won't take the chance. I'm sorry sir, I think you have some PR work to do.

edward, gillettehunter, gizmo and 2 others like this.

6. huntaholic

huntaholic AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Ducks Unlimited. Whitetails Unlimited, Michigan Sportsman
    Hunted:
    South Africa Eastern and Western Capes
    You won't want to after you hunt with KMG... There is a reason you never hear anything bad about Marius...

johnnyblues, tarbe and Pheroze like this.

7. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    I'm sure no I'm positive I'll have a great hunt with Marius but I'd still love to one day hunt 'truly wild Africa ".

8. chrisd

chrisd AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabawe, Canada, USA
    Since Martin's offering elephant hunts, I've been getting questions about how this issue was resolved.

Good News: John Harris and Wayne Grant - two outfitters that had worked with Martin on this hunt - paid funds to the Bumunu conservancy owner to satisfy their agreement and thus allow Mikes trophy to be released.
    Bad News: Martin was not responsive to either my claim or to Mike regarding the issue.

Again, I would hunt in the Omay and with some of the PH's Martin had at the time, but would never wire - in advance - any funds to Martin.

If you want more background, PM me.

Chris

9. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Thanks for the update.

10. Martin Pieters Safaris

Martin Pieters Safaris SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    ZPHGA,SOAZ,SCI, ZTA
    Hunted:
    Most countries
    When you PM Chris Drazan PM me as well as there are two side to the story!
    You can make your own decision !
    Thanks to the 2 guys that have booked this hunt and put their trust in me like several hundred others over the years!

Philip Glass likes this.

11. chrisd

chrisd AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, DSC
    Hunted:
    "two side to the story". But certainly PM me (or my brother) as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2019
    CAustin likes this.

12. Eric Anderson

Eric Anderson AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA
    18 months later.....

I’m sorry to hear this could not be resolved better.

Having said that, as a deputy once told me, there is what he said, she said, and what actually happened.

Rarely does what he or she said bear much, or any resemblance to what actually happened.

Philip Glass likes this.

13. chrisd

chrisd AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, DSC
    Hunted:
    Right, “two sides to the story”:

Side 1: He took my money
    Side 2: He didn’t provide the hunt.

Not a lot of room for creative interpretation. These are expensive hunts and we are forced to trust the outfitter as they have substantial deposits. The ethics / integrity bar should be very high.

14. Eric Anderson

Eric Anderson AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA
    I am not taking sides. You are upset, and feel very wronged. That I am sorry for.
    I do not know either you, or Mr. Pieters from Adam.

My comment beyond that was simply passing on the wisdom of a Deputy I respect very much who has decades of experience investigating disputes in which both in which both parties have had tempers and emotions flare over what they perceive the opposite party has injured them grievously.

“There are not two sides to the story, there are three”

jeff likes this.

15. chrisd

chrisd AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, DSC
    Hunted:
    Eric, that’s a fair assessment. My biggest disappointment is that I’ve had to re-set my “trust” expectations. Never had an issue before and not since. Always operated on a handshake basis and/or a light contract. That’s different now.

Life in a fallen world, I guess.

Chris

CAustin, tarbe and jeff like this.

16. MT Griz

MT Griz AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Namibia, USA- Montana, Alaska
    I couldn't have said it better Hank2211!

GA Hunter likes this.

17. Timbo

Timbo AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BGRC PFRC & SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia
    Years ago I booked a hunt for buffalo and pg hunt, and I specifically recall wanting a riverside camp - with fishing gear - so that my wife and kids could fish between hunting/game viewing. At booking I was also given the name of the camp I'd booked.

When we actually got into camp, there was NO fishing gear. Hmmm. And my suspicions were confirmed when I discovered after the hunt that we weren't even in the camp I'd booked!!

Anway, after 10 days hard hunting, we had only seen buffalo on THREE occasions. No joke!! In that whole hunt only 3 impala were taken (a fourth being unrecovered, wounded) and 1 waterbuck. That will indicate the amount of game in the hunting area to which we were confined!!

As stated, what I didn't know at tbe time - but found out much later from the clients themselves, whom I met - was that THEY were hunting the camp I HAD ALREADY BOOKED!! Obviously, my family and I had been booted out to another camp - to make way for those four hunters - without me being told by the operator!!

And, why? Easy!! These four clients were each after a buffalo, 2 were also after leopard, while one wanted an elephant!! So their money meant much more to the operator than being fair.

After our respective hunts, which were conducted in the same time period, I met up with these four in the operator's game lodge. Exchanging notes about each other's hunts revealed the truth!! These guys were very apologetic, and agreed it wasn't the proper thing for an operator to do!! What made this worse was that over the 10 days, they had PLENTY of opportunities for taking buffalo!! I even recall hearing over the 2-way of +40" bulls being taken, both leopards collected in 5 days, and, the elephant downed as well!! A very successful hunt - whilst we saw bugger all in our area!!

After the disclosures at the game lodge, I wanted to confront the operator before I left Zimbabwe - but I never got the chance. However, upon return home I thought about it and contacted him - disclos,ing what I knew, and that I wasn't too happy!! Anyway, with no option, the operator offered me a late season hunt "at cost" (It wasn't! This was 2013, and the late season hunt still cost me US$14K in fees!). Eventually I did take a buffalo, as instructed by my PH - and I'm reluctant to admit it is a soft bossed, still immature, 32" male (not a "bull"!).

Though this is my first buffalo, I'm too ashamed of such a young male being shot that I haven't posted it on this site. However, it does represent the culmination of 20 days - 10 of which were unbelievably difficult, on Lake Kariba in November - a time of year at another camp that was so unbelievably humid at night that I either slept under a wet towel, or under the shower. Therefore I regard this trophy not for it's quality, but for sheer bloody minded tenacity!!

IMO the whole experience was a piss poor effort by the operator, as he knew this was also my families first experience of Africa.

Though I've never revealed the identity of the operator, because he did in some way make an attempt to fix this issue - albeit not "at cost" for 2013 prices - I will say who it was: only to illustrate that the experience related by tbese other hunters is not an isolated event. The operator who was at the centre of my experience was MP.

edward, Roan and jeff like this.

18. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    o_O

19. Wheels

Wheels AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
    Interesting how stories like these tend to accumulate around certain individuals.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

CAustin and jeff like this.

20. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    Agree. I’ve heard some as well.