NAMIBIA: Martin Pieters Safaris - A Troubling Experience

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by chrisd, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    I do much the same thing. All of my hunts, in whatever country, have been booked through a Zimbabwean who was my PH on my first three hunts. He now runs a small outfitting business. I use him because:

1. He knows more than I do about areas, and people. Being on the ground in Africa and in touch with people makes a big difference.

2. If there is ever a problem, he is on my side, and resolves the issues.

Apart from using him as my booking agent, I've asked him to come along on many, if not most, of my hunts. I enjoy his company, and, again, if there's an issue at all, it's resolved. In fact, he's resolved issues I wouldn't have said anything about (even if they might have bugged me a bit).

I trust him because he's never let me down. That's worth a lot. Likely wouldn't be an issue on a deer hunt in North America, but even with the number of safaris I've done, or perhaps because of the number of safaris I've done, I know what can go wrong, and how important it is to have the right people in your corner.

akeate, Velo Dog, edward and 4 others like this.

2. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    Hopefully, after SCI there will be a mutually acceptable resolution.

3. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Any news on progress or a resolution?

4. rookhawk

rookhawk AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
    I think the resolution was MAD. (Mutually Assured Destruction)

The complainant was more satisfied with "saying his piece" than he was in actually getting money back. (I admire someone so principled they would rather make a bad PR billboard than get $15,000-$45,000 in cash for holding their tongue)

The operator, Mr. Pieters, was more comfortable not settling with the complainant because he viewed the bad PR he received as a form of paying his pound of flesh. (I think the quote was something to the effect of "I was going to settle UNTIL you put this all out in the public")

So in summary, one party is poorer now, the other party has lost significant brand reputation. They both seemed satisfied with this stalemate.

Did I miss any late breaking updates from a face to face meet up at the shows?

akeate and rinehart0050 like this.

5. BRICKBURN

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    That...

6. Edward Wright

Edward Wright AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA-life
    Hunted:
    Quebec, Newfoundland, Wyoming, Kentucky, South Carolina, Indiana
    Well, now I know who I won't hunt with!

CAustin likes this.

7. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    Man I hate to hear that. I was truely hoping they could come to a mutually beneficial arrangement

8. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    @Wheels said it correctly in that we know all we need to know about this thing.
    Granted things can and do go wrong even when the best of intentions are in place. However, as others have mentioned you don't let the customer eat the mess that has been made.....you simply take care of the problems. The outfitter should make things right for any customer in a situation like this and more especially a return customer who wanted to hunt with him. This is an unflattering thread that will be around a very long time and it will damage MP with future potential clients.

robertq and Wheels like this.

9. BRICKBURN

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    I hope that they have made a deal at SCI. I will wait patiently for them to let us all know.

siml and rinehart0050 like this.

10. tarbe

tarbe AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    As a prospective hunter of wild Buffalo, I am interested in how this worked out.

11. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    I heard a deal was made. But didn't get the details.

If you are looking at hunting with Martin in Zim...I was hunting in one of his Tuskless Areas and not his best buffalo area and we shall quite a few buffalo and I am confident if given two more days we would connected on a buff. We were close numerous times.

12. chrisd

chrisd AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabawe, Canada, USA
    tarbe,

Nothing was worked out: I received no refund and I do not think Pieters refunded he money paid to the Namibian outfitters. I do know that my brother has yet to receive his trophy as it is being held by the Namibian outfitter until Pieters et. al. pay the bill.

As I've said before, I like the Omay (perhaps a bit hard-hunted) but I won't hunt with Martin Pieters again. Caveat Emptor.

There are good outfitters in Zim, however, so make sure you reference and use the forums to get the 'inside story'.

Chris

tarbe likes this.

13. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    @chrisd I have to apologize to you sir, I thought something was worked out. I didn't mean to spread something false.

14. chrisd

chrisd AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, DSC
    Hunted:
    No worries! I decided to move on with it unless there were other request for information. Live and learn (the hard way at times). I have a moose / goat hunt in Alaska in 30 days to look forward to ....

Chris

akeate likes this.

15. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Good luck! Look forward to hearing your report. I want to get a mtn goat pretty bad!

16. chrisd

chrisd AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, DSC
    Hunted:
    Will do! My first goat .... looking forward to it.

Wayne t, cpr0312, gizmo and 1 other person like this.

17. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    Dang I hate to hear that MP dug his heals in and didn't make this right. I was really hoping that he would resolve this. He had been up on my list for a Zim trip but after this i don't think so. It really sucks because I'd really been under the impression he was a good guy. Apparently I was wrong.

18. siml

siml AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
    Enjoy your trip to Alaska and good luck.

gizmo likes this.

19. cpr0312

cpr0312 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe
    Yes best of luck in Alaska, I'm jealous!!!

20. chrisd

chrisd AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, DSC
    Hunted:
    He's a very nice guy, but didn't take care of us as clients. If you want a friend, get a dog :).

I've had great experiences in Africa with some fantastic people. Remember "TIA" and that not much is predicable EXCEPT what your outfitter has committed to (location, fees, accommodations, etc.).

Chris