NAMIBIA: Martin Pieters Safaris - A Troubling Experience

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by chrisd, Jan 16, 2017.

1. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    @Martin Pieters Safaris may not be aware that there is a thread here about the situation. But now that I've tagged him here, perhaps he will respond.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2017

2. NoDak416

NoDak416 New Member

Phil, he is aware of this thread. He posted on it already.

3. MMAL

MMAL GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Jersey, New York, Wyoming, Colorado, Mexico, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Northwest Territories, Newfoundland, Namibia
    Gizmo I could not agree more. I certainly don't know all the facts but it looks like something happened and it is incumbent on the PH or outfitter to fix it. This certainly does not look like it was an unrealistic client with expectations that superman could not have met.

Reputation is everything, any business, especially with a referral type of business of hunting in Africa.

That is a plaque that hangs in my office given to me by my father.

Name Plaque.JPG

This was before the age of the internet. The internet is forever, even if AH deletes the post. Good luck to all parties.

4. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    My take away is this, there should have been better communication, some thing's out of MPs control,some thing's he could have done better. To me there is some confusion on trophy fees and what was agreed to be refunded. There is also debate on who made it 2 x 1. There is plenty of questions from both sides that I would like to know but it does sound like this will head to court/arbitration so I doubt there will be many details.

This is pretty much a deal gone bad for both sides. For whatever it is worth and comparing a tuskless to a exportable Namibia hunt is a bit of apples to oranges. But Martin had great communication with me before and after the hunt, I felt was honest and I had the hunt of a lifetime. And I would recommend him.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2017

5. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    My bad, blame it on aging

CAustin likes this.

6. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    I made Martin aware immediately. I would rather everyone's side is stated and hopefully resolved to everyone's best interest.

7. Brent in Az

Brent in Az SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
    It's a shame that the two parties could not reach a resolution to the matter. Social media can be very damaging to an otherwise good reputation, deserving, or not.

gizmo and sierraone like this.

8. Aaron Nietfeld

Aaron Nietfeld AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, South Africa
    So I'm doing a little bit of hijacking here, but this thread has been beaten to death already.

As a relative newbie, why would one book a ph to accompany them on a hunt in a country that they aren't licensed for? Besides the comfort of a familiar face?

Doesn't this just add expense to the hunt by paying for two ph's?

LivingTheDream likes this.

9. siml

siml AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
    @Aaron Nietfeld, I would say it's about hunting with a person you trust. Going to a new country and hunting dangerous game can be daunting and having someone familiar around is calming.

Hank2211 likes this.

10. Martin Pieters Safaris

Martin Pieters Safaris SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    ZPHGA,SOAZ,SCI, ZTA
    Hunted:
    Most countries
    To clarify a few issues
    Chris was informed of the area change on September 26th, a month before their arrival.
    The hunt was a 1 x 1 and Chris and Mike opted for a 2 x 1 whilst in camp.
    I along with Dalton the other Zimbabwean PH were accompanying Namibian licensed PH's on this hunt.
    Being denied entry into Namibia based on an irate immigration official perception did not help the situation.
    Daily rates were paid in full to me and paid onto Camel thorn ( less my mark up ), trophy fees were due only once the elephant were shot.
    No trophy fees were paid up front.
    Mike was billed for his elephant trophy as he shot his bull, he refused to pay and hence in order for him to get his trophy, I asked Camel thorn to contact him directly to collect the trophy fee payment.
    Chris and I discussed a financial refund and Chris requested a return hunt at cost in 2017 /2018, we were working on that when Chris decided to opt for the public route to ruin my reputation.

I am not happy about the way this turned out and let Chris know, my lack of communication when I first heard of the area change was an error on my behalf as I trusted the Namibian PH's word on elephant movement.
    This is a mistake that I will not make again.

Martin

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017

11. Lrntolive

Lrntolive AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RMEF, SCI, NRA, WCF&W
    Thanks for the reply Martin. I think that is a good, succinct explanation.

12. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    That familiarity and trust play a large part in the equation. It is a Dangerous game hunt and if you are about to be stomped I'd want someone I knew could do the job standing beside me.

Also, you have already paid for the other PH on a high ticket hunt.

13. BRICKBURN

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Thanks for the further reply Martin.

This,

along with a mutual resolution will be what reputations are made of. (In my book)
    Not just the mistakes.

I don't know who Mike is, but not paying a trophy fee when you shot the animal is not acceptable.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017

14. 1tohuntafrica

1tohuntafrica New Member

I find it disappointing that Martin's story continues to evolve. I have PM's from people behind the scenes that have shared that Martin knew the concessions had changed as early as March. He never contacted us until the night before the hunt.

The trophy fee was part of the negotiation of changing our hunt from 2 concessions to 1 and from his team being here to provide a 2x2 hunt to a 2x1 hunt. We paid a premium for the other hunt. Martin was suggesting reimbursing Chris mine goes to the trophy fee.

All of this could have been avoided if Martin had communicated in a timely manner and after taking our money ensuring he delivered on our expectations.

Mike

15. siml

siml AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
    @Martin Pieters Safaris , no bone to pick with you. But lets deal with transparency , you acknowledge "the Namibian outfitter" screwed you over. You trusted him. My first ever hunt in Mozambique, the same thing happened, I refunded the client every cent. I had just arrived back in SA vowed never to go back to Mozambique, when I received a phone to do a free lance hunt in Mozambique, I didn't want to ever go back to Mozambique, I was eventually convinced to help, never regretted a second, saw true hunting potential of Mozambique.

Sometimes we gamble on a hunt a lose!!

akeate, gillettehunter, Roan and 11 others like this.

16. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    @Martin Pieters Safaris i am in agreement with Simon. I have no bone to pick either. While I have never hunted with you I have always heard nothing but good things about you and your operation. I do think this completely blew up on you and it turned into a snowball effect and bad decisions made it worse. It is easy for all of us to sit on this side of the fence and tell you what you should do and criticize. I'm not going to do that further than just saying I hope you can make this right for these guys and save some face while at it. Good luck. As you know reputation is everything in this business and it would be a tragedy for this situation to get out of control and cause long term damage to your reputation. I truely believe that you are a stand up fellow and I would certainly personally hunt with you without hesitation. My only point is that while we all know there are two sides to every story sometimes when we are the ones ultimately responsible for the outcome we have to bite the bullet and take one in the shorts to make it right. I really hate that this situation went to shit. I wish you and all involved luck and pray y'all get something worked out without it getting anymore ugly than it already is.

17. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    It seems that the outfitter strayed from outfitting into booking agent and it went to crap!

18. Buckdog

Buckdog AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Martin Pieters it seems that you played booking agent for 2 loyal clients in a country you had no lic for and got screwed over by the Ph/outfitter and etc in that country. That shit can happen BUT IT SEEMS APPARENT THAT YOU THEN LET 2 FORMER LOYAL CLIENTS GET SCREWED OVER TOO ALL SO YOU WOULDNT TAKE THE BURN SHAME ON YOU A GOOD BUSINESS EATS IT AT ALL COST AND PROTECTS THIER REPUTATION AND CLIENT NO QUESTIONS ASKED!! I have hunted with PH/outfitters where it has went to shit for no fault of there own and they have eaten it no issues just apologies I respect those people immensely, you I personally would never hunt with. And I don't understand why you didn't just eat it and bring this to an end instead of letting your rep be trashed not smart sir. I own and run multiple business and from time to time shit happens and I eat it sometimes I eat it just to not piss off a client or customer to protect my good name.

19. edward

edward GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    safari club,nra,d.s.c.
    Hunted:
    south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
    i wonder if we will ever know the whole story?

jeff likes this.

20. Wheels

Wheels AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
    Probably not.

But have we already learned all we need to know.;)

CAustin and buddy48 like this.