NAMIBIA: KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS What An Adventure

JG870

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I went on my first African Safari and I’ve been back about a month now.
I hunted in Namibia with Phillip Hennings at Khomas Highland Safari’s.
My decision choosing Khomas Highland Safaris was an excellent one.
Phillip and his entire staff are ultra professional and at the same time very personable and I left Namibia feeling thankful for my new found friends.
All of the details from my pick up at the airport, the lodging, meals and of course the hunting we’re fantastic and my experience there exceeded my expectations.
I’m making plans now for my 2nd Safari with Khomas Highland Safari’s hopefully next year.
I will follow this post up with some photos a little later.
805DB483-88F5-4FD4-8C7D-EE37D6562F54.jpeg

Last edited:
Let me start out by introducing the team.
My PH for the hunt was Issak, a very skilled hunter to say the least and a heck of a good guy. Also assisting was John, who is an apprenticing PH and also a heck of a good guy. Helping was Shorty a great hand and fine young man.
And Issak’s son joined us for a few days when he started his spring break. And I don’t want to forget Lucky the blood dog and he was a character in his own right.
Image1659285305.340983.jpg

The first day was fast and furious. It ended up with me blowing it on a stud Kudu due to not taking the time to familiarize my self with the equipment ie. shooting sticks. Anyway we had a couple of exciting stalks that morning. About noon we came across a band of Baboons and John asked if I wanted one and so my first animal was a big male Chacama Baboon.

006CB89A-7BBB-407D-9E8A-3013A80D30FF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Each morning we would meet at the lodge for a nice breakfast and coffee and discuss our plans for the day. Then most days back for a wonderful lunch which ranged from Kudu or Oryx steaks to supreme Pizza. All of the meals were really really good.
1FD50F32-6E6A-4441-A6A7-235EE6709F46.jpeg
04359605-2134-41D0-8F58-93EFD35AFA0D.jpeg

CD02E0B3-C84D-45FD-B844-E8F3AF5943A5.jpeg

This was a multi tactics change stalk the same day I took the Kudu in the morning. The bull was by himself and he was a wise one. The mountains and scenery we’re just beautiful as the sun was getting low.
I couldn’t believe they got the land cruiser to this spot close enough to load him. I actually walked out with the rifle and the sticks.

@JG870
The older the springbok, the horns get more curved back.

Great hunt! Congrats!

This hunt for Red Heartebeest was an exceptional experience. Shorty spotted the group of 7 and the hunt was on. The way Issak used the wind was masterful and we got in to 170 meters without them having a clue we were there. After several minutes I finally had a chance for a good broadside shot. We were fortunate enough to see several Heartebeest and I found myself really enjoying watching them and watching them run with their unusual gait was a special treat for me.
CF95C203-3174-4D77-90E5-4180FA82DA42.jpeg

I took this Steenbok high in the mountains where we were hunting Zebra. During my safari we saw Steenbok from the valleys to literally the tops of the mountains
and the top is where we found this one.
E0469AAD-E4B6-4619-87AD-C170A97AF409.jpeg

Congratulations on what looks and sounds like a wonderful hunt.
What rifle/caliber/bullet did you use?
Thanks it was a great time and I will highly Recommend Khomas Highland Hunting and Phillip Hennings anytime.
I Rented a customized Mauser in 300 Win. Mag. It was Phillips father’s and had a suppressor on it. It was topped with a 2.5-10x44 Miopta. The load was 180 grain Federal Fusion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross