NAMIBIA: KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS - Here We Come!

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia,....AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI
Day -0
@KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS

Me, wife and her BFF having some lunch and cocktails in Seatac before boarding our flight on Qatar this afternoon.

Layover for a few hours in Doha tomorrow and then on to Windhoek

Looking forward to meeting @dchum and his group in camp.

This is our first trip to Namibia and has been a long time coming. It’s been in the works since 2018…..

IMG_8695.jpeg

Day -0
@KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS

Me, wife and her BFF having some lunch and cocktails in Seatac before boarding our flight on Qatar this afternoon.

Layover for a few hours in Doha tomorrow and then on to Windhoek

Looking forward to meeting @dchum and his group in camp.

This is our first trip to Namibia and has been a long time coming. It’s been in the works since 2018…..

View attachment 534634
Nice! Have a great hunt. We’ll be there the last week of June. Safe travels

If you have to have a tag along, I'd say these two are worthy :ROFLMAO: .

Enjoy- looking forward to the report!

Following along. Safe travels!

Enjoy your Safari!, Best of luck.

Day .5

Made it to Doha!

Halfway there….

IMG_8704.jpeg

The ladies enjoying their first vodka mint (I think) drink in Doha airport.
IMG_8002.jpeg

Wife and I will be there Wed. to help thin out the uglies (cull hunt). Safe travels and Shoot straight!

Wife and I will be there Wed. to help thin out the uglies (cull hunt). Safe travels and Shoot straight!
Great! Looking forward to meeting you all

Have a great safari!
With those two fine ladies to travel with you, looks like its off to a great start!

First evening on arrival we take a quick trip to the range and then go on for a quick cruise. I join PH Juan (Jon) and 3 young German interns. Many laughs and I was just enjoying the nice dry climate already. We see some Kudu cows and a herd of female Oryx as well. Highlight of this evening was Juan spotting some leopard tracks. I spent the rest of the night drinking with the young Germans… probably a little too late. Will feel that in the morning.

First evening on arrival we take a quick trip to the range and then go on for a quick cruise. I join PH Juan (Jon) and 3 young German interns. Many laughs and I was just enjoying the nice dry climate already. We see some Kudu cows and a herd of female Oryx as well. Highlight of this evening was Juan spotting some leopard tracks. I spent the rest of the night drinking with the young Germans… probably a little too late. Will feel that in the morning.

You are in good hands with Juan and sounds like you are off to a good start!!

You are in good hands with Juan and sounds like you are off to a good start!!
The past days I have been hunting with Hendrick and shorty actually. Young Santos driving. We are having a blast. Always laughing! You are treated like family here.
Photos won’t upload at the moment. But I have some good ones to share soon…

The past days I have been hunting with Hendrick and shorty actually. Young Santos driving. We are having a blast. Always laughing! You are treated like family here.
Photos won’t upload at the moment. But I have some good ones to share soon…
Shorty is a good kid! Hendrick is awesome.

I spent the rest of the night drinking with the young Germans… probably a little too late.
That sounds like fun, Just make sure they don't have access to any keys.

We are in the air from Doha to Windhoek. I will back up the bus a little in order to catch up the back story to this hunt, the intro and gear while I have the time….

This hunt has been in the works for more than 5 years. I put the deposit down in 2018 with the idea that my son and I would go in 2019. That didn’t work out… and then covid and life stuff happened…
My son couldn’t make, but, it turned out my wife Lydia and her BFF Sara willingly agreed to go along.
Phillip Hennings has been great to work with and has been very patient with me through all the reschedules, and changes over the last several years. It has finally come together….

Lydia and I travelled from Pasco to Seattle yesterday (May 18) and Sara flew down from Anchorage and met us at SeaTac. We had several hours layover before our Qater Airways flight from Seattle to Doha which prompted the adult beverage pics in the SeaTac Airport.
I booked our tickets using Alaska Airline Miles through their “One World Alliance” program with Qatar.
I am not bringing my rifle this trip and will be renting one of Phillips.
I am traveling with a new Pelican Air 1615trvl suitcase. This is my first trip with it, so we will see how it works out.
My Binoculars are basic Nikon 10 x 40 with a Cabelelas harness.
Most of my hunting clothes are an eclectic mix of Tag Safari, Carhartt, and Merril boots.

Nothing says “American Tourist “ like sitting
the Doha airport with an Ariat shirt, Columbia shorts, Merrill Moab boots, with two blonds drinking big green vodka drinks

My plan is make this an “as we go” report with updates everyday. We will see how that works out, so more to come soon….

Day 1- May 20 9:50am

We arrived in sunny Windehoek!!

All of our flights have been on time or even a little early. The Qatar folks have all been very courteous and easy to deal with. There has been no real drama outside of just the usual 30+ hrs of flight time and layovers without much sleep.

Juan was at the airport to pick us up.
IMG_8736.jpeg

IMG_8744.jpeg

We stopped at Taxidermy ( I can’t spell the name so we are just gonna call it taxidermy) on the way through to town . Had a quick beer while we checked out the studio.

The drive from the airport Khomas Highlands River lodge was a little over an hour.
It’s an easy drive, passing though downtown Windehoek on the way.

Phillip was at the lodge to meet us. The new lodge is amazing! Very modern and lots of room
IMG_8754.jpeg

We had an awesome zebra burger lunch when we arrived.
After lunch Phillip showed us to our rooms so we can take some badly needed showers and get organized. We have been traveling now for 40+ hours with very little sleep…..

@dchum and his father are here and they are knocking ‘em dead and having a blast. Great folks to have in camp with us!

3:30 pm we are showered, and back in the main lodge. Phillip set me up with one of his 300 wm rifles. A Mauser 98 with a custom laminated stock and good optics.
We headed out to the target rangle to make sure it shoots well. A couple shoots off the bench and small scope adjustments, and a couple practice shoots off the quad sticks sticks and all is well.

We take an evening drive through the Khomas Highlands headed for the top of the Highlands. On the drive we see an old warthog, several bat eared fox and a really nice Duiker.
We got to the top of the Highland just in time for a “sundowner” with an amazing sunset on our first day in Namibia.
IMG_8773.jpeg

We got back to the lodge in time to see @dchum and his father returning from their afternoon hunt with a magnificent oryx. They are gonna have some stories to tell…!!

Dinner was great oryx sheers stuffed meatballs with salad and potatoes. It’s gonna be impossible to loose any weight around this place!
Finally off to be at 9:30 pm…!! It’s been 48+ hrs since we have had any real sleep! Day one is in the books…..

Attachments

• IMG_8754.jpeg
    IMG_8754.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_8773.jpeg
    IMG_8773.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 104
I almost forgot to mention that I gifted Phillip a @Vongruff AH EDC knife that I had Garry build for him in appreciation for working with us on all the cancellations and re scheduling of this hunt. It has camel bone handle and Buffalo horn bolsters. We had had it etched with the AH logo for him.
IMG_8219.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.